Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Your experience here at TGR

I'm positive I've run into many more mags than I realize from my good ol' days at Kirkwood from 1996-2004, I just never knew about this website. If you ever saw a kid flying down the mountain in a black with red shoulder Columbia one piece, or perhaps saw a kid in pajamas straightlining on slush, try to turn, instant pre-release, then superman down the second half of the hill that was me. Anyways, I was reading a great synopsis from Viva and decided to ask what you guys have gotten out of this place.

Day 1 - Posted in wrong forum, called out by Stuck, fired back and got accepted as a maggot from my response, figured I'd hang around.

Since - I found gear swap and have been hooked up by awesome mags on 3 pairs of skis (a mag actually went to a CL guy and packed and shipped a pair for me), and generally haven't paid close to retail since on anything but an Epic pass.

Finally got some boots that fit.

Played some golf with a few of you, Das hooked me up with some Titleist AP2's for $275. Hung out with another mag here in TN. Taught another mag to play golf better and helped him pick out sticks.

Almost hooked up with Iceman in St. Thomas.

Sold a few things on gear swap.

Enjoyed tons of internet gold and this place never fails for a good laugh. Overall I'd say I still owe the community. This place is awesome.

Passed too many hours of work with my and your drivel here in the padded room.

Viva is more concise.

Always looking forward to moving out west again and meeting more of you guys.
    "One season per year, the gods open the skies, and releases a white, fluffy, pillow on top of the most forbidding mountain landscapes, allowing people to travel over them with ease and relative abandonment of concern for safety. It's incredible."

TGR saved me from being a JONG.

Now I am a JOOG, for which I am internally gr8ful.

TGR peeps!
    watch out for snakes

my experience at tgr has been very amusing and colorful. i've met many a mag IRL for tours, bike rides, and surf sessions that i most likely would never have met had it not been for tgr.

been nice

now when you say you, 'hooked up with Icemang', was ice the bottom or the top, or is he versatile?
    crab in my shoe mouth

Ice is always on top... laws of physics and TGR.

Drop and give me 4 TWENTY!
    Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!

Your experience here at TGR

FTR, met Iceman once, but I left when the maul came out. Met many, many mags, all over the world and all good. Been hosted and have hosted many for good times.
    Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!

Man you got hosed on those clubs.

I harvest excess iron from Ice.

Quote Originally Posted by buttahflake View Post
    now when you say you, 'hooked up with Icemang', was ice the bottom or the top, or is he versatile?
    Who cares? He wouldn't take his jeans off.
    "One season per year, the gods open the skies, and releases a white, fluffy, pillow on top of the most forbidding mountain landscapes, allowing people to travel over them with ease and relative abandonment of concern for safety. It's incredible."

Guroo, what ever happen to motherfucker?
    I bought some bindings in gear swap, when the package shows up it has one binder and is beat to hell.
    The mag who sold them to me refunded the money, solid folks round here. Oh, and telemike can stick the whole pear up his ass.

I've meet a few mags irl, it's fun to remince with someone you just met.

telemike may get a lot of crap but he's ok in my book. Back when we both belonged to Mitch's Bitches he gave me some voile risers for free and then didn't get too upset when I took way to long to send him the postage monies. And no mike, I don't have any size long Chili cables. Sorry, wish I did.

My first couple post were about like the OP.

Ask some jong question about skis, get shit in return. Tell everybody to fuck off, and been here ever since.

This place has filled a void in my life....serious.

My dad wasn't around much when I was growing up and certainly didn't pass along much fatherly advice regarding the little things a man should know (such as repairing common household appliances). I can turn to this site for advice/opinions on everything from cars/washer-dryers/dentistry/cuts of beef/and quality beers.

I bought and sold items in Gear Swap and have received and given away kids gear for free.

Information on vacation location has made my family's experiences better....and I've received free computer advice from Scott.

Finally...the humor I get from this site often makes my day more enjoyable.

Damn, all of you guys work for TGR?

What, you don't get paid for this gig? Loser.

After the exodus from powmag, there were a few years of awesomeness.

Stoke filled TRs not buried in localized threads. It was one community vicariously experiencing those days, not a group of regional communities where you have to wade through 10 pages of chickenshit Internet tough guy comments to see what's up in that part of the world.

We had EC'ers seeing Tahoe storms and dropping everything to get there - and reporting it real time.

Summit reports showing how real and how close a web-based community could get.

Ridiculous "remember it your whole life" level hilarity from guys like phunk and Rev and bad roo.

MD9/GT40 photo sets that pushed stoke back before iPhones and go pros made it too easy.

It was a really cool place.

I went away for a few years and came back to something really different.

Most of what made it great back then is gone. That'll prove itself out by the bitchy responses to what I'm saying here.

It's too bad. A lot of you newer guys really missed out.

Now I just come around to sell gear. Still the best place to do that.

seriously, if you're not on the $5/word pay service, you're doing it wrong

I get $2/letter bonus for not using caps to start sentences

Quote Originally Posted by optics View Post
    After the exodus from powmag, there were a few years of awesomeness.

Stoke filled TRs not buried in localized threads. It was one community vicariously experiencing those days, not a group of regional communities where you have to wade through 10 pages of chickenshit Internet tough guy comments to see what's up in that part of the world.

We had EC'ers seeing Tahoe storms and dropping everything to get there - and reporting it real time.

Summit reports showing how real and how close a web-based community could get.

Ridiculous "remember it your whole life" level hilarity from guys like phunk and Rev and bad roo.

MD9/GT40 photo sets that pushed stoke back before iPhones and go pros made it too easy.

It was a really cool place.

I went away for a few years and came back to something really different.

Most of what made it great back then is gone. That'll prove itself out by the bitchy responses to what I'm saying here.

It's too bad. A lot of you newer guys really missed out.

Now I just come around to sell gear. Still the best place to do that.
    No, I think a lot of us can understand that sentiment, even if we can't identify with it. Just a guess here, purely a guess, but I'd say the new guys, myself included, enjoy the lingering sentiment leftover from the old guys that says, "I can trust this place. I may not like everyone (Spook), but once I learned how to weed out the BS that the old guys despise, this is still a pretty good group of dudes that I can trust with solid advice, solid gear, and if I do get fucked with, someone I don't even know is going to try and help out. Not only that, but goddamnit the majority of people at the majority of other forums are fucksticks."

People have been bitching that the place has gone to hell literally since before it existed. TGR was originally a haven for people to get away from the bullshit on powmag. That lasted about 10 minutes until people started bitching that this place wasn't what it used to be. So it hasn't gone to hell, it was always hell.

There have been changes, mainly the group has gotten older and instead of "get drunk and post as much as you can" it's often "what dishwasher should I buy?" but so what? People get older. What's on their mind changes. If you don't care about dishwashers (or heat pumps, I'm looking at you Tuckerman), then don't fucking read it.

If you can make a joke, do it. Don't take things so seriously. Carry on.

I didn't know you smoke a pipe Splat.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    GET OFF MY LAWN! Carry on.

I like this time-killer of a place, met a few mags, skied with some, drank with others. Solid place for advice on all types of stuff, some gut busting humor too. Just about all of you are cool, even if most of you are older than dirt.
    I still call it The Jake.

I'm pretty new here, had guys borrow gear from me visiting from over the pond, bought and sold some things. Got great advice, been called a JONG. Laughed a lot. I'm grateful, it's filled a hole for me (insert joke here) since leaving the shop life.

Killing it with the 3-5 year old crowd!
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    I didn't know you smoke a pipe Splat.
    Getting an in-dash vape and a ski rack installed next week.

TGR, like life, is just like everything else.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Skiballs, he's around doin his own thing. Just bought a house in the Denver area, just had a few band photos published in the paper/magazine, home brewing and tried to partner with a local pizza joint to sell his beer from, but I don't think that worked out.