Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Well the google machine can't find it.

That's some Hemingway shit.
    Google machine found this...
    http://articles.latimes.com/1996-01-...scue-hopes-dim

^^That's it. Those numbers aren't correct though.

whoa...

Quote Originally Posted by highangle View Post
    I got a little drunk on the bus on my first day off in a month, and decided to take the ferry from Banda Aceh to Sabang, to see if I could find a way to Nicobar on the cheap instead of laying up in an expensive suite and sampling the hookers and heroin. Bad move, it turned out

About an hour after dark, a squall knocked out a concrete patch in the bow, flooded the car deck, and the 350 footer with something like 800 souls aboard was on her side in maybe a minute. I jettisoned the vessel when people started falling on my head as the deck got vertical. There were a lot of people.
    In the water, I formed up with a Brit/Kiwi couple I had ducked into a urinal and shared a surreptitious half-pint with earlier in the trip. I recognized her shouting, and by the time I got to her, she was in the process of being raped by a drowning man who was both drowning her to try to stay afloat, and trying to fuck her as his last act. Her husband was dazed from the fall off the deck, and was paddling around aimlessly looking for flotsam in 15' seas while this was going on...

I got the big bastard off the girl. He couldn't swim and she and I both could. She and I got her husband, and struck off away from the greater masses of people. I finally found some flotsam - a third-world suitcase made of plastic and mostly full of plastic toys, which had some buoyancy. A little while later, we found some floating rope, which tore up my wet hands, but which I rove around the suitcase and made handholds and a stirrup that we could put a foot in and rest slightly against the heave of the sea.

Never saw the ship sink. But heard it about 15 minutes after we got together and started moving away downsea.

11 hours and almost 12 nautical miles later, we were sighted in the predawn by a 110-footer headed to the wreck scene to salvage bodies for the government bounty. I had a Suunto gps watch at the time, and was starting to get a little worried as the tide was not helping us at all... We picked up one other survivor, 11 bodies all tied together, and a man's right arm and hand with an inscribed wedding ring.

They say about 50 of us lived, but I never reported to anyone afterwards (other than write my name in English for the salvage boat's crew (who I later paid)), so maybe there were more?

The government investigation (it was a government ferry) concluded the skipper ran the grossly-overloaded ship into a pier about a month previous, and got some shadetree help with some quickcrete and chicken wire until he could arrange to find something besides himself on which to blame the 3' hole. That squall fucked that all up for him...
    Wow
    "If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough."

Quote Originally Posted by Jethro View Post
    During my freshman year in college we heard that nondairy creamer would burn if you dumped a packet out over a match. We did that a few times, and got a little shower of flame. Then we swiped a large container of it from the dorm cafeteria and took it back to our rooms. The dorm was five stories tall with a square spiral staircase at our end. We had the bright idea to see how a quart of the stuff would burn. I taped a magazine renewal card to a clothes hanger and lit it on fire and held it out in the center of the stairwell on the fourth level. My buddy dumped the quart of nondairy creamer out front m the fifth floor. The clump of creamer that hit the flame was way to dense to burn, and it kind of smothered the flame, while the powdered creamer continued to fall down the stairwell. By the time it got to the bottom, it was pretty much a dust cloud. right around then, the flame came back then life and ignited the fine dust. I remember being in a low temperature orange flame, which expanded down the stairwell and went out each hall way on every floor. It was gone in a second or two, and luckily did not blow out any windows or catch anything with on fire. While we stood there in a stunned daze, a resident advisor from across the dorm came running up to us yelling what happened. We played dumb (probably wasn't hard) and asked what he was talking about. I think we reaked of singed hair, but we got away with it. In retrospect, we realized it could have exploded like a corn silo explosion. One of the dumber things I have done.
    Nice. Our fire dept captain did a mini version of this during our academy when discussing explosive limits and the danger of dust in silos and other buildings. Still impressive.

Timmy and Tommy spent the better half of today replacing an HVAC system. Water was turned off this morning and I've been home all day so I'm really thirsty and there's piss in the toilet. Timmy and Tommy left a few hours ago and the HVAC unit seems to be working like it should so I figure they're done and forgot to let me know. So, I turn the water back on. Now, I'm really thirsty, there's piss in the toilet, and I just finished mopping a floor full of rusty water in wet socks with no way to wash any of it. Brilliant!

Quote Originally Posted by Jethro View Post
    During my freshman year in college...We played dumb (probably wasn't hard)
    I know the feeling. I'm just thankful there were no security cameras in the 80's. My freshman dorm... whew, man...it was a zoo.

That's pretty good stuff right there. ^
    Ski Shop - Basement of the Hostel

Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish.

Mark Twain

Cutting into a +$500 sleeping bag while opening the box... I have never been more careful in my life, and still failed.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fullsizeoutput_b96.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	269.3 KB 
ID:	275524

It appears that the bag had lofted into the gap between the two box flaps, cutting the tape = cutting the bag. FML

ouch.

I can't think of any recent flails on my part, but give me a minute and I'm sure I'll think of something.

Well wait I fucked up buying my daughter's car from her to the extent that I got yelled at by both my wife and daughter, couldn't drive the car for 3 weeks, had to pay a fine, and spent 3 hours yesterday afternoon at the DMV getting things straightened out, I guess that wasn't too brilliant.

Bump.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.