Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Ask Me Anything: Avi Forecaster Bob Comey (11/24)

Hey so timing's a little tight with these two, but it's what works for them and I feel like people will be pumped on both the AMA with Vasu and this one with Bob Comey, the head avalanche forecaster for Jackson Hole Mountain Resort as well as the Bridger-Teton Avalanche Center. He's got a wealth of experience here in the Tetons and is a highly respected avalanche professional across the country. He's super excited to join us this upcoming Monday, 11/24, from Noon-3 PM MST, to answer any and all of your questions.

And yes, WRONG FORUM JONG! I'll move this to The Slide Zone once it's wrapped up, but to get things going I thought it'd be better to toss it into the Ski/Snowboard feed.

Ask away!
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

Former Managing Editor @ TGR, forever mag.

What type of bacon would you recommend that in-bounds skiers carry so they can be located by rescue dogs in the event of an avalanche?
    "Can't vouch for him, though he seems normal via email."

Do you ski?

Do you ever think, "f... this, lets send it!"? or do you always do compression tests etc?

What do you think is the single biggest reason freeriders keep getting into avalanches and how could that be mitigated?

Mercedes or Pontiac?

Quote Originally Posted by Below Zero View Post
    What type of bacon would you recommend that in-bounds skiers carry so they can be located by rescue dogs in the event of an avalanche?
    Follow-up questions: same type of bacon for human searchers, or do we need to carry multiple types of bacon for both canine and human searchers to be effective? Do the aromas from thick cut bacon permeate the snowpack better than from thin cut?

spook Guest
    do avalanche forecasters have groupies?

What do you think is the most common mistake that seasoned BC travelers make in avalanche terrain?

Is there more energy put into developing models and collecting information for experts, or into figuring out how to get people to stay safer in avalanche terrain?

Are there models like for weather or is the knowledge of how conditions effect danger over a mountain range more of a intuition thing developed over time?

I ski in the sierras. Often we boot up steep couloirs in powder, after a storm.

from a slide perspective, is it safer to boot up the couloir, or climb in the shoulder, then drop in the couloir.

Related:

Is the snow better anchored in a couloir, making it safer to ski than an open face?

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by rod9301 View Post
    I ski in the sierras. Often we boot up steep couloirs in powder, after a storm.

from a slide perspective, is it safer to boot up the couloir, or climb in the shoulder, then drop in the couloir.
    think about it. Does walking straight up a a powder choked cooly where you're exposed to everything that's directly above you for many minutes/hours sound safer than taking the safe way up and working from the top down? Do you have any idea how many folks die climbing what they intend to ski? Auclair/fransen(sp?), romeo and partner and countless others? Had they come in from the top they woulda at least had the chance to assess/ski cut the slope before fully committing.

Booting up big lines makes much more sense when the snowpack goes isothermal and climbing the line is more to recon spring hazards on the way up. Like icy sections, cracks, running water underneath bridged areas.

Personally i've kicked off some big shit in my time, and had i climbed those lines i prolly wouldn't be typing this right now.

Thanks for all the hard work Bob!
    "The idea wasnt for me, that I would be the only one that would ever do this. My idea was that everybody should be doing this. At the time nobody was, but this was something thats too much fun to pass up." -Briggs
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    Wear your climbing harness. Attach a big anodized locker to your belay loop so its in prime position to hit your nuts. Double russian Ti icescrews on your side loops positioned for maximal anal rape when you sit down. Then everyone will know your radness
    More stoke, less shit.

How often do you ask Roj for advice? Is he on your speed dial?

Seriously though, What is a typical work day like for you?

Hey bob, how do feel about airbags?

how do you feel about the current ratings scale names?

What aspect of forecasting in the BT area differs from say, Colorado?
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Hi Bob -
    My name's Bob too. Guess it's a generational thing
    Did you guys score an Avatech penetrometer for this season? Use it yet? Initial thoughts?
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    What aspect of forecasting in the BT area differs from say, Colorado?
    Don't worry Bob I'll handle this one.

It actually snows.

Quote Originally Posted by _Aaron_ View Post
    Thanks for all the hard work Bob!
    What he said^^^^^^

Hi Bob,

Will the forest circus, dept of transportation, hwy patrol, etc throw some restrictions down when one of us dumps a slide on 22 and nails some cars?

I missed the presentation a year or two ago by Rod Newcomb (I think) about the major snow/avalanche cycle of Feb 86. This was a legendary avalanche cycle in several western states & had major impacts in JH. Got any stories from that one?

Done it wrong and got bit? Tales please.

-Thanks!
    "The two best times to fish is when it's rainin' and when it ain't." - Rancid Crabtree

"never buy anything you can't fuel with a salami sandwich" - XXX-er

Hey Bob -
    Do you have a room to rent to Gabrielle from Chile? She wants to know Jackson!
    http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...-know-jackson-!!

Hi Bob,
    Maybe folks would like to hear what all goes into making up your daily forecasts (i.e., field ops, ski area ops, wx data, etc...). What time you start the day and how much coffee goes into the mix too.
    Cheers,
    Halsted
    "True love is much easier to find with a helicopter"

Will you take my pass if I poach Jackson faces? Cause man that shit is tempting early season when you guys got your hands full getting the upper mountain going. Thanks for all the good work dude, to you and all the early risers on JHSP.

Hi Bob - Thanks for what you do.

My question is around approach. I tour in the central wasatch and after a mixed history of helping rescue in a fatal slide followed by shunning the backcountry for a long time I've adopted a new mantra.

Mind the rose and don't over think it. Avoidance is key and if you respect what the avalanche rose tells you, I believe you eliminate a large portion of the risk of touring on a particular day. In practice this means simply not skiing considerable or worse conditions with fatal exposure. Open bowl? ok up to a point (not mid storm obv), but no bad downhill exposure with considerable avvy danger. Moderate danger? nothing very technical (ex. double fall line with exposure, multiple cliff bands below, etc) but larger lines with some exposure are ok.

Any input or critique is welcome. Cheers-

Ever been caught in a slide? What was your mistake if so? What did you learn from it?

Can I have that chair behind you when you replace it? It looks about due and I'm poor.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Do you think the recent additions in rescue equipment have changed the way some users assess potential risk?

Coors Original or PBR?

Can you give us a good argument why the BT doesn't use the Storm Snow problem as one of their common forecasting problems and EVERY other avalanche center that uses the problems does so? Don't you think you're missing a crucial segment along the continuum from loose snow to deep persistent slabs?

Do you foresee any huge advances in the future of snow science and safety tech that would dramatically reduce risk for the average winter outdoorsman? What are the hurdles to getting there (funding or barriers innate to the problem itself)? When will then be now?