snowmobile avalanch basic questions?

I am starting to sled this year and am thinking how/if I should adjust search techniques with a sled?

Having never done an actuall avalanche rescue search I am wondering wether I would get off the sled and start a course searce, or if it is sometimes possible to use the snowmobile durring the course search?

Besides of the obviouse differenes of sled vs. ski in avalanche terrain, any other pointers or insight that makes traveling and rescue different with a sled?

When in doubt throttle it out.
    And I am sure an extra 1000lbs driving over a potential burial would be fine.
    I don't work and I don't save, desperate women pay my way.

Go to Avalanche.org

Follow links to the GNFAC and then to education. The Center offers snowmobile specific avi courses.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

How about practicing with a buried beacon and telling us how you got on with riding a sled while holding a beacon and trying to see/hear that it had found a signal?

If you have never practiced it you shouldn't even be thinking about trying it in a real rescue.

Quote Originally Posted by snowquest View Post
    .... I am wondering wether I would get off the sled and start a course searce, or if it is sometimes possible to use the snowmobile durring the course search?
    You would find out quickly that you can't search from a snowmobile. You'd find its hard to handle the sled and transceiver at the same time.

Remember, when you get off your sled to search don't forget to bring your shovel and prob. A couple of sled models have a spot for the shovel and prob under the seat. If you forget your tools you'd have to re-do your transceiver search again, after you had to come back for your tools. D'oh!!!!
    "True love is much easier to find with a helicopter"

I think it's worth noting that a beacon search should never be performed on a snowmobile as the electronics in the sled will fuck with the signals in the transceiver.
    long live the jahrator

also, keep ur gear in your pack, on you. not in under your seat. there is a good chance you may become separated from the sled in an emergency.