Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

One ski to rule them all (atleast the east coast)

Hello guys, new on here!
    I'm looking at buying my first set of mid-fat/powder skis to be used primarily as a touring setup for the east coast. I'm a decent level rider (6' 2", 200lbs. with kit, likes to huck once in a while) that enjoys a bit of everything, from deep pow (we have that sometimes per year...) to sketchy tree runs with shit-fu*k conditions. I'm looking at buying one ski, that could handle pretty much all those conditions pretty well, skis will be skied mostly in touring mode (up as much as down) so looking at something ideally quite light but at the same time still playful and capable of riding deeper/softer snow (week long expedition in the chic-chocs and certain usa resorts already planned...) I have the privilege of working in a shop that specializes in that kind of skiing so I have access to lots of brands (G3, salomon, rossignol, blizzard, dps, raccoon, etc.) for relatively decent cheap prices, theres 3 skis that caught my interest. (Skis will be mounted with a G3 ION binding, BD quadrant boots and G3 alpinist skins)

1. Black Diamond Carbon Convert 188 cm
    Pros:
    -Carbon = light
    -Decent rocker
    -Metallic tail hooks for skins
    -Not too stiff
    Cons:
    -Too light?
    -Squirrelly?
    -Reliable (keep in mind these will be abused in all kind of conditions)

2. Salomon Q-105 188 cm (pretty much my favourite and pick right now)
    Pros:
    -Quite wide for a 105mm underfoot in the tip and tail
    -Fun rocker
    -Quite light
    -Really cheap price
    -Not too stiff, looks playful, best all-around ski?
    Cons:
    -Heavier than the other two
    -Cheaply made?

3. DPS Wailer 112 RPC 192cm
    Pros:
    -Bling bling
    -Playful rocker, skis shorter than they are
    -Carbon is light
    Cons:
    -Too stiff?
    -Is carbon reliable?
    -Wee bit more expensive than the two others...
    -Too much of a handful to ski when conditions aren't prime?

So far, I've only ridden the wailer 112 in a 188 length and liked it, I'm just afraid it'll be feeling too much like an 18 wheeler in the woods in the 192 cm length. The salomon is 'til now my fav pick out of all those 3.

If you've skied any of those three, feel free to chime in!

no more than 100 underfoot. metal. wailer 112 is NOT an all round EC ski. light? you are heavy. why would you want/need a light ski unless you're climbing all day for pow?

line prophet 90 or 100.

black diamond verdict.

volkl mantra.

or these babies:

http://k2skis.com/skis/annex-98

i'd go with the k2's

K2 Annex 98's would be perfect but they get pretty chattery at high speed in crud. Thats the only con though, awesome skis. Good in Pow.

Q is light years ahead of the noodling crowd

Voile vector - only 96 underfoot but under 7 lbs
    Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Natures peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn. - John Muir

"How long can it last? For fuck sake this isn't heroin -
    suck it up princess" - XXX on getting off mj

“This is infinity here,” he said. “It could be infinity. We don’t really don’t know. But it could be. It has to be something — but it could be infinity, right?” - Trump, on the vastness of space, man

Quote Originally Posted by Full Stoke George View Post
    K2 Annex 98's would be perfect but they get pretty chattery at high speed in crud. Thats the only con though, awesome skis. Good in Pow.
    Impossible. I ski the 92mm version (same in every way cept for dims) and I cannot find a condition where it chatters and I ski some hellacious frozen bumpy shit on high George. Even higher speeds and crud. The skis are unbelievably damp. Way more damp than any boutique "exotic" wood/carbon combo.

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    that's the quiver size under foot my 11 year old rides, true that, no lie, fall line skier.
    does she ski east coast? No? Then stfu

Quote Originally Posted by NoPostholio View Post
    Voile vector - only 96 underfoot but under 7 lbs
    Good ski, but hardly a great EC all rounder compared to a good metal ski.

At what point in his post did he say he'd be using this ski inbounds?
    Seriously, stfu with your stale shit. It's old. Go away.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by thewon View Post
    Good ski, but hardly a great EC all rounder compared to a good metal ski.
    Exactly like stuck said, the op was asking about light ski for touring. You know what you need metal for? Welding
    Take a lap la jong
    Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Natures peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn. - John Muir

“This is infinity here,” he said. “It could be infinity. We don’t really don’t know. But it could be. It has to be something — but it could be infinity, right?” - Trump, on the vastness of space, man

Ions and Quads?

Its quite the folly to expect one ski to work for all conditions.

The vector is a valid pick and should be on yor short list for certain conditions.

I would pick two skis and do inserts.

I would be interested to hear how Ion/SallyQ/Quad combo works out.
    watch out for snakes

cham 97
    Got the 87s that day -

La rawj, I have some hardly used 181 backlash's that ski like garbage. Was going to use them for fence poles, but will trade them to you for some krunk.

that's the quiver size under foot my 11 year old rides, true that, no lie, fall line skier.
    I think it's a little unfair to compare the rawg's skiing needs to Q's
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    At what point in his post did he say he'd be using this ski inbounds?
    Seriously, stfu with your stale shit. It's old. Go away.
    he's heavy and touring EC. prolly not always soft conditions. have you toured in the chic chocs? have you any idea what conditions one might find up in the gaspe? he did mention some lift served skiing.

clowns.

Quote Originally Posted by NoPostholio View Post
    Got the 87s that day -

La rawj, I have some hardly used 181 backlash's that ski like garbage. Was going to use them for fence poles, but will trade them to you for some krunk.
    yer doin it wrong.

Buddy is selling 190 BD verdict if you're interested. A lot cheaper than pure rpc 112

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchool1080s View Post
    Buddy is selling 190 BD verdict if you're interested. A lot cheaper than pure rpc 112
    which generation? great EC touring ski for a clyde.

Impossible. I ski the 92mm version (same in every way cept for dims) and I cannot find a condition where it chatters and I ski some hellacious frozen bumpy shit on high George. Even higher speeds and crud. The skis are unbelievably damp. Way more damp than any boutique "exotic" wood/carbon combo.
    92mm version? Are they an older version or a completely different ski?

Anyway, yes, chopped up man made and spring snow on an icy base, lots of chatter. More so than what i would have expected. Its the only reason i dont want to get them as everything else exceeded my expectations.

Quote Originally Posted by Full Stoke George View Post
    92mm version? Are they an older version or a completely different ski?

Anyway, yes, chopped up man made and spring snow on an icy base, lots of chatter. More so than what i would have expected. Its the only reason i dont want to get them as everything else exceeded my expectations.
    the backlash model. 129-92-115 rockered tip, flat tail, metal. same layup all round i'm pretty sure.

bomber skis so far. have you been getting closer to a decision?

maybe his "chatter" is everyone else's "dead like 80s cadillac, no feel for snow"

which generation? great EC touring ski for a clyde.
    These guys... http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218&ad=32333178

Praxis BC or G3 Zenoxide C3. The Covert is basically a copy of the Praxis Backcountry. The Praxis is better quality and comes in different layups. I've owned 180's and 190's. Best do it all touring ski I've used. Only reason I don't have a pair now I prefer a fatter ski for powder and, especially, a narrower ski for hard snow. But I've had great days on BC's in all conditions, including the most heinous death crust I've ever skied.

I wouldn't go ultralight for a one ski quiver at your size, but If you do the G3 Zenoxide C3's are damn stiff for such a light ski. I haven't skied the carbon version, but the old version was an extremely underrated product and the dimensions haven't changed.

OP-

Similar size as you, but don't huck or charge. Fairly conservative in the BC, but ski similar terrain, including Chic Chocs, Baxter. Also, some multiday. My priorities might be a bit different, as I wanted light. And, being used to tele, anything alpine is plenty stable.

Just bought the Carbon Convert, haven't skied it. Got mine in 180, as top speed is irrelevant to me, but I often find myself in stupid places, tricky to manuever. Or on hiking trails, where throwing skis sideways is key. Or bushwacking with skis on pack. Welcome to Maine.

Personally, the Vector would also have worked for me in the terrain/conditions described, but mine are the fishscale version, mounted tele. (Have skied the standard version, alpine and tele. Cot the Converts to enjoy conditions I just survive on tele gear.

Not sure if it got mentioned, but the Voille V6 was #2 n my short list. Love my Vectors, and the consensus on the V8 is that it is huge fun. I kind of see the V6 as the East Coast V8.

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchool1080s View Post
    fantastic one ski quiver for ANYWHERE^^^^^^^^^^

especially for a skier of the OP's size.

Spooning
    wait!!!! waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait...Wait!
    Zoolander wasn't a documentary?

the backlash model. 129-92-115 rockered tip, flat tail, metal. same layup all round i'm pretty sure.

bomber skis so far. have you been getting closer to a decision?
    Sounds the same, as you said. I dont know, i only had 2 days on the 98, maybe i needed more time with them, but going from the Apache (the ski im on atm) to the Annex, isn't a huge difference?

Personally for me think im gonna go with the Kastle FX94. Then get another pair for powder, based on advice from some good folks around here, 2 skis that excel in what they are made for is better than one pair that tries to be a jack of all trades. Still love the Moment Belafonte, maybe ill get 3 skis?