Thread: Pressure washer with no pressure

Pressure washer with no pressure

Homelite 2700 from Home Depot. It worked one day fine. Moved to a new location and it won't develop and pressure. Tried different water spigot, reversed the pump to wand hose to flush, no leaks, no kinks, changed nozzle. It's used a lot and this is a first. Anyone with any clue?
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Was it left out in freezing conditions? Even if it thaws out, the ice is known to kill 'em.

Good point. I could understand a hard freeze with water in the pump. But only just barely freezing temps for a few hours. Frost on the windshield in the morning cold. Doubt that's it. Honda Motor runs like a charm. So a bump for the collective to provide.

Could it be the outlet? How much power is it getting?
    It doesn't matter if you're a king or a little street sweeper...
    ...sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper
    -Death

Quote Originally Posted by St. Jerry View Post
    The other morning I was awoken to "Daddy, my fart fell on the floor"
    Kaz is my co-pilot

There is surely an in-line filter, probably right where you hook up the water. Check that for blockage.

How long was it running after you let off the trigger but before you turned the engine off?

Was it started dry?

Generally noone repairs those pumps, replacements are around 200.

Like none at all or just weak? Triplex pump?
    Life is simple. Go Explore.

No inline filter on this one. Multiple water sources with the same result. A dry start is possible as many hands use it. A replacement pump looks to be about $80.

Sometimes shit just happens. Had a mower that I babied just die without a whimper 10 years after a rebuild. When I opened it up

Quote Originally Posted by That was Pontus View Post
    Like none at all or just weak? Triplex pump?
    Flow was like a strong pee. Just looked and no markings for Triplex on the pump but there is motor oil on the housing if that's a clue.

Quote Originally Posted by wooley12 View Post
    Flow was like a strong pee. Just looked and no markings for Triplex on the pump but there is motor oil on the housing if that's a clue.
    That'll be the water pressure from your hose running through. Don't worry about the triplex part, google says yours runs an axial/impeller. Sounds like your pump ain't turning. Take it apart, bet a bearing cooked itself and/or the axle shaft busted. These things aren't advanced enough to have any sort of clutch dealio so when the motor is running, the pump is turning, water or no water, lube or no lube....

Quote Originally Posted by wooley12 View Post
    A replacement pump looks to be about $80.
    Now that i think about it that 200 figure is what i charged to replace them.

Vertical or horizontal shaft engine?

Any devilbiss/excell/powermate pump just aint worth taking a look at.

Thanks. Sounds like Pilot Error. And it ran a few cycles before dieing. I LOVE to take things apart. $100 fix is not too bad.

[QUOTE=Todd Zander;4357196
    Vertical or horizontal shaft engine?

Any devilbiss/excell/powermate pump just aint worth taking a look at.[/QUOTE]

Vert. $200 for the work would sound right.

This guy

Well an easy "try", are there 3 brass "bolts" in the aluminum housing? Take them out and clean each of the plastic/ss valves.

That's a good plan. I'll do that. After I mount my new skis.

Quote Originally Posted by N1CK. View Post
    There is surely an in-line filter, probably right where you hook up the water. Check that for blockage.
    This is almost always the cause of really low pressure.

The owners manual makes no mention of filters other that air and gas filters for the engine. It's from Home Depot. How do you think they offer brand names for less? They order brand names to build a cheaper product.

Anyway, the question is moot. I tried the washer at the water spigot at the back of the house and it didn't help so I'm sure it was the pump. I'll never know. When I went to get it the next day to take the pump off.....it was gone. Someone walking in the trail behind the house spotted it and took it before 7 a.m. Could have been one of the local transients moving between the homeless tent city and the hidden camps in the forest. Could have a neighborhood meth addict. I doubt it was one the dog walkers. My only satisfaction is imagining some entitled ass loading a "great deal" into his luxury SUV and paying $150 for it.

The only other thing ever stolen from me was an outboard motor. I decided to leave the engine lock off to soak WD40 on night and it was gone in the morning. Different house in a different state.

It's gotta be Karma. Payback for the time I unknowingly set up the little old lady landlord that rented me her guest house. Back in the '70's, I was buying my pot from an Iron Horseman. He delivered and we partied. Sometime later, someone pulled a van up to the front door and cleaned her out. I'm such a naive dope it didn't hit me till just last month.
    Last edited by wooley12; 11-25-2014 at 11:53 PM.

Problem solved. Go buy something with a belt drive and triplex pump.

Well that blows.

3 tricks to extend the life of the pump, regardless of quality.
    1 never let off the wand while the engines running more than 30 seconds , intake water cools the pump.
    2 always purge air before starting engine
    3 winterize

For more thread jacking - is it bad to run the pump to empty as part of winterizing? I did that after trying to feed in pink RV antifreeze (got some spraying out, so I know I circulated it through the pump). Didn't run it dry very long, maybe 15 seconds.

It's a gas powered Generac, consumer model, so I'm sure it has the cheaper style pump.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Drop it off at my place and I'll check