Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

ROGERS PASS SKI GUIDE - Support this ya bums

http://www.tetongravity.com/story/sk...geobackcountry

Summary. Rogers Pass is a mecca for big summits and big icefields. Support the author of a pending new guidebook for the place. If you have any interest in skiing, pow and summits you'll want a copy. Kickstarter for this is here

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...-guid/comments

the author would be worthy of support were he hocking no more than funny toques and hot dogs

Calling us bums! I'M OFFENDED...!

Will someone let me photocopy the book for a toonie?

where is this rogers pass you speak of ???

can I brapp brapp there ???
    We, the RATBAGGERS, formally axcept our duty is to trigger avalaches on all skiers ...

Quote Originally Posted by Shadam View Post
    where is this rogers pass you speak of ???

can I brapp brapp there ???
    Let's not talk about that. ;> You've got the whole kinbasket!

F-off with your guide books. If you can't figure out how to get there on your own you shouldn't be out there. Just another nobody making a guide book looking for recognition to help with the self-esteem.

Quote Originally Posted by teamdirt View Post
    F-off with your guide books. If you can't figure out how to get there on your own you shouldn't be out there. Just another nobody making a guide book looking for recognition to help with the self-esteem.
    I wouldn't call Doug a nobody. Sorry you're having a bad day.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    I wouldn't call Doug a nobody. Sorry you're having a bad day.
    Don't know the guy-not having a bad day. Thats me thinking out loud in response to the idea of yet another guide book to help the weak get to the goods. What ever happened to experience guiding you to the goods?

Rogers Pass is fun.
    "The idea wasnt for me, that I would be the only one that would ever do this. My idea was that everybody should be doing this. At the time nobody was, but this was something thats too much fun to pass up." -Briggs
    Wear your climbing harness. Attach a big anodized locker to your belay loop so its in prime position to hit your nuts. Double russian Ti icescrews on your side loops positioned for maximal anal rape when you sit down. Then everyone will know your radness
    More stoke, less shit.

Looks amazing. Can't wait. Kicked in for a book. Good deal . Hopefully he makes the next goal. That map will be rad . What dreams are made of. Herculean effort on Doug's part

Girlfriend, please put the claws away.

Does your definition of "weak" include using sleds for access?

Come now. I can respect C's opinion. Lots of people shat all over John Baldwin when he put out his guidebook and I know Lou et al also caught flak for guidebooks. I just had a chuckle at "Just another nobody making a guide book looking for recognition to help with the self-esteem.". Doug doesn't really have an esteem problem and is the least likely person I know to crave recognition

Not everyone has time to get to a place enough times to get that first-hand knowledge for themselves.
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

Come now. I can respect C's opinion. Lots of people shat all over John Baldwin when he put out his guidebook and I know Lou et al also caught flak for guidebooks. I just had a chuckle at "Just another nobody making a guide book looking for recognition to help with the self-esteem.". Doug doesn't really have an esteem problem and is the least likely person I know to crave recognition
    I just wanted to call someone girlfriend!

What is this Rogers Pass Ski Club all about? I really didn't get the mission. Just some partiers or another level of bureaucracy?
    off your knees Louie

Quote Originally Posted by BFD View Post
    What is this Rogers Pass Ski Club all about? I really didn't get the mission. Just some partiers or another level of bureaucracy?
    There's no-one to really speak for the backcountry tourers there since the Friends of Revelstoke folded and even then that wasn't really their mandate. It's a grassroots not for profit to try to speak to backcountry recreationalists issues - like getting parking access; not getting the double headed black mamba dildo by CN Rail, that kind of stuff

Fabulous assumption TD, however baseless it may be. Doug is an A-Basin guy from back in the day, solid guy, excellent skier, always passionate about the back country.
    Calmer than you dude

There's no-one to really speak for the backcountry tourers there since the Friends of Revelstoke folded and even then that wasn't really their mandate. It's a grassroots not for profit to try to speak to backcountry recreationalists issues - like getting parking access; not getting the double headed black mamba dildo by CN Rail, that kind of stuff
    Only CP is fucked enough to think Rogers is a good place for a railway. And let's not forget, if not then the pass would be the same as any other remote, rad part of the Selkirks: pretty much inaccessible.

Quote Originally Posted by freshie247 View Post
    Fabulous assumption TD, however baseless it may be. Doug is an A-Basin guy from back in the day, solid guy, excellent skier, always passionate about the back country.
    Like I said. I don't know the guy, never met him. I'm sure he's a great guy by the backing you guys give him. I just hate guide books!!

As for sledding, it is not for the weak. Its just another means to get you deeper to terrain you would otherwise not be able to get to. I will do whatever it takes to get the goods. Sleds, Skins, Helis count me in.

I've been fortunate enough to have ski toured in Rogers Pass for most of my life. Amazing place, also a place you do not need another guide book for. Info is available everywhere, general areas and classic runs are already marked on a map, info available at Parks Info Centre at top of pass and a guide book already exists.

Never wise to give away the family's secret recipe. "If you tell a secret to the wind, the wind passes that secret onto the trees"

What's next a sled skiing guide book?
    Last edited by teamdirt; 11-20-2014 at 08:19 AM.

What ever happened to experience guiding you to the goods?
    It died an awful death.
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature... Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. -Helen Keller

I'm in. Love guidebooks for dreaming up the next adventure, great nightstand reading. And I have a map fetish so fingers crossed the map works out.

Well go ahead & hate guide books, but put up fatuous assumptions & expect people that loathe irrational speculation about other's personality & motives to have something to say about it.
    Calmer than you dude

If it helps I wrote this about the style of the guidebook for a Wildsnow review

Rogers Pass is not for rank beginners and to his credit, the author does not gloss over that. Lots of information is presented in a consistent graphic-heavy format. Descriptions are accurate and, once you get used to the overall scale of the terrain described, brutally realistic. The guide's style is such that the author expects the guidebook reader to read the entire description and have basic map/picture reading skill to figure out how to assess and accomplish objectives. Put simply, there's not that much hand-holding going on here.

To expand on this, in terms of inclusion, no holds are barred when including routes or proposed routes; even exceptionally difficult trips are described. For example routes culminating in mandatory rapped entries, exits or heinous bushwhacked starts or finishes are described in laconic, clinical choose-your-own-adventure prose. There's a refreshing honesty in the author's understated ability to describe you-fall-you-die terrain and point a way for the reader to find their own path down it.

Example

Look at the Lens Couloir description - "At 1350m there is a fork. Take the climbers right!"

and another Rogers Pass pic

Roger pass sucks... Avoid at all costs

Quote Originally Posted by powdergangsters View Post
    Roger pass sucks... Avoid at all costs
    Major suck age but buy the book for your coffee table regardless. That should do. Nothing to see there