Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Oh no, BP is going to be in a place where there's snow AND mountains.

Hey, at least it gives Vermonters someplace to look down on.

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddy View Post
    I can see it now.... Three hundred million metric tons of garbage off gassing a hideous stench for fifty miles due to global warming and persistent winter monsoon rains accelerating the decay. High speed quad now sinking into the man made mountain and requiring a canyon cut thru the putrid mess.
    would be almost as bad as the air quality of SLC in january

NF, I'd love to go, if only to experience the legend of the deep. Unfortunately, work is full on, so no go. Don't listen to Rog....do it!
    oh he knows better than to listen to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Oh no, BP is going to be in a place where there's snow AND mountains.
    Don't forget no skiers and blanket WiFi coverage.
    "If you limit your choices only to what seems possible or reasonable, you disconnect yourself from what you truly want, and all that is left is a compromise." -Robert Fritz

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    not enough nun fisters in that community

Too bad the Daks aren't a few hundred miles to the west and right up against the Buffalo area. I wonder what kind of snowfall they would get with the lake effect and orographic lifting.

A lot more than they do now.

This morning

Quote Originally Posted by thewon View Post
    oh he knows better than to listen to me.
    Ha, ha...we all do
    Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!

This morning
    ^^^^^^^terrain looks rad. Tow in territory to be sure.

Indianhead, Wakefield, UP, MI: 77" in the last 7 days, 84 total this year.

Hiawatha's rad.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    Indianhead, Wakefield, UP, MI: 77" in the last 7 days, 84 total this year.

Hiawatha's rad.
    I remember snowmobiling the Keewenaut sp? penninsula a decade ago and they had photos of their record snow year, dont remember the number of inches but the snow was up to the telephone wires. They said it started snowing in November and didnt stop until late April.

Quote Originally Posted by From_the_NEK View Post
    Off the eastern end of Lake Ontario in northern New York.

Meanwhile in Buffalo...

I was just explaining lake-effect snow to my boys this morning. This would have come in super handy.
    They think I do not know a buttload of crap about the Gospel, but I do.

Quote Originally Posted by NoPostholio View Post
    Could someone with some wx savvy please explain why the snow never makes the extra 50 miles to fill in the Daks a little better. Not even greedy, just a foot of the ten would be nice.
    Paging L Hutz -
    I believe you simply run out of moisture but could you imagine........
    You're gonna stand there, owning a fireworks stand, and tell me you don't have no whistling bungholes, no spleen spliters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker donts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistling kitty chaser?

Quote Originally Posted by RaisingArizona View Post
    Too bad the Daks aren't a few hundred miles to the west and right up against the Buffalo area. I wonder what kind of snowfall they would get with the lake effect and orographic lifting.
    With a few river diversions and some well placed dams, I bet you could build a new great lake a couple miles to the west of the daks...

No one lives there and it might be easier than moving the mountains.

Who's the new EPA administrator?
    Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!

In all seriousness, while buffalo is a true shit hole well past its prime, I thought it could be the next Dubai, if they started piping their water to SoCal and Phoenix. Kind of like an Alaska pipeline type project but for freshwater they sell. If it leaked, no big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by ncskier View Post
    In all seriousness, while buffalo is a true shit hole well past its prime, I thought it could be the next Dubai, if they started piping their water to SoCal and Phoenix. Kind of like an Alaska pipeline type project but for freshwater they sell. If it leaked, no big deal.
    I think the mississippi river or Superior WI would be a better candidate. Great Lakes have been dropping fast in recent years though. Last I talked to people back home Michiagan was down 10-12 ft if I remember.

Quote Originally Posted by ncskier View Post
    I doubt that the residents of Buffalo can lay claim to that water. They may make a few bucks pumping it.

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    Last I talked to people back home Michiagan was down 10-12 ft if I remember.
    Sounds about right. Every year my family goes out to the same cabin on the Lake Mich beach in Door County, WI. I went last year for the first time in 20 years.

When I was a kid I remember going out by boat to look at an old shipwreck just off a sand bar about a hundred yards or so out. Last year, and I guess for quite a few years, you can wade all the way out to it and stand on it with water only up to your ankles. 20 years ago we were over it in a boat.

I doubt that the residents of Buffalo can lay claim to that water. They may make a few bucks pumping it.
    Dont dash my dreams of a buffalo comeback. I went to college in western NY and when I go back to the area for work, I'm amazed at how little has changed in 20+ years. If I go to Florida and skip an area for work for a few months, I can come back and its been changed, mostly with people from Buffalo

Quote Originally Posted by sfotex View Post
    This guy has done a lot of weather research at Tug (scroll down a few posts..)

http://wasatchweatherweenies.blogspo...ch/label/OWLeS
    Thanks for that - very interesting blog.
    Really funny how he is doing wx for wasatchistan and THP, but they are ground zero for some historic accumulations.

This one was especially good
    http://wasatchweatherweenies.blogspo...satch.html?m=1
    Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Natures peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn. - John Muir

"How long can it last? For fuck sake this isn't heroin -
    suck it up princess" - XXX on getting off mj

“This is infinity here,” he said. “It could be infinity. We don’t really don’t know. But it could be. It has to be something — but it could be infinity, right?” - Trump, on the vastness of space, man

start skiin' mothafukasssss
    long live the jahrator

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by DoWork View Post
    Don't forget no skiers and blanket WiFi coverage.
    snow, mountains, no "skiers"? Sounds like paradise.

Reality check inbound. Snow Ridge is relatively flat and very small. I used to live not too far from there and have skied there a fair bit. With that much snow, you're not going to turn.

While Buffalo is getting hammered now, Lake Erie freezes in early January and the snow ends...Lake Ontario rarely does freeze and so the Tug Hill Plateau (and Syracuse) gets hammered with Lake Effect all the way through April...great sledding out that way.

Buffalo = Bennytown...I laughed. I spend a couple of weeks a month out that way for work. It exemplifies the term "rust belt" yet the people out there love it. Pretty good food but not much else. They live and die for the Bills and Sabres but both teams haven't been good for a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsAugustWest View Post
    I spend a couple of weeks a month out that way for work. It exemplifies the term "rust belt" yet the people out there love it. Pretty good food but not much else. They live and die for the Bills and Sabres but both teams haven't been good for a long time.
    I live 60 mins down the thruway. Downtown Erie, Buffalo, Roch, Syracuse, Utica, etc all look like shit. The suburbs and surrounding hills/lakes are where it's at. It's a trade off. No culture and small job markets in exchange for less crowding, cheaper housing (although taxes are high), great schools, great riding and OK skiing. Pick the poison.

Lived on the south shore of Lake Ontario and The Tug Hill was our family snow play destination for a bunch of years. The wind direction, early season (no ice cover) and temp differential between air and water makes this storm a monster.

Tug Hill cam link.
    http://www.northernchateau.com/northernchateau.htm
    Montegue was getting some as I write.

Meanwhile on the Buffalo to PA stretch the wind just shifted from west to southwest .
    Dunkirk at 12:25 a m

and 2 hours later looking north towards Buffalo

Where it looked like this

Fun to watch.
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Snow Ridge is only reporting 16"-most of the lake effect went north-dry hill should have gotten bombed