Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    you write shitty spam for money and grind stoke into tiny little bits that match your dick

< insert dickbag 310 making fun of someone bumping his shitty thread for his shitty website, but it's ok cuz he's a fucking bro, who's lolz, a surfer living inland > < followed by some dumbcunt like shredgnar waving his stupid dick about some hilarious flight of his s-bit brain > < followed by vapid stoke from the tourist bureau> < followed by rodneyvee being too ballless to post under his real name >
    Wowie-you have this forum all figured out!!

A new thread opportunity to showcase how multi-sport rad I am? Don't mind if I do... LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME!!!!

Got back into surfing (kneeboarding, insert dick sucking jokes here) over the few years I was living back in NH after college. Amazing fun at times but man is it a lot of work per minute of fun compared to other sports. Have really grown to appreciate the relatively conditions-independent fun factor of mountain biking, really diminishes the stress factor IMO. And I got progressively more of a sally about tolerating the nausea-inducing duck dives in 40 degree water in February. I dunno, I'd take skiing.

And Hugh! What kind of supremely douchey cunting treatment do I get for my post? Pick me! Pick me!
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

Former Managing Editor @ TGR, forever mag.

^^ why wouldn't you just stand up? That's not an actual sport is it?
    27° 18°

Quote Originally Posted by danmelon View Post
    ^^ why wouldn't you just stand up? That's not an actual sport is it?
    It's an actual sport but only ever knew one guy who did it bca east. Spinal cord injury really messed with my balance so standing up isn't any option anymore. Looks weird but fun as hell being that low to the water.
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

Oh cool! Thx for clarifying.
    27° 18°

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Dunfee View Post
    A new thread opportunity to showcase how multi-sport rad I am? Don't mind if I do... LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME!!!!

Got back into surfing (kneeboarding, insert dick sucking jokes here) over the few years I was living back in NH after college. Amazing fun at times but man is it a lot of work per minute of fun compared to other sports. Have really grown to appreciate the relatively conditions-independent fun factor of mountain biking, really diminishes the stress factor IMO. And I got progressively more of a sally about tolerating the nausea-inducing duck dives in 40 degree water in February. I dunno, I'd take skiing.

And Hugh! What kind of supremely douchey cunting treatment do I get for my post? Pick me! Pick me!
    Once a waterman, always a waterman. This is actually really cool and unique. Saw a guy ripping a few weeks ago on a 12+ sea kayak.. Honestly surfboard, sponge, kneething, mcdonalds tray, if your stoked and willing to paddle out that's all that really matters right!!

I will admit I was a boogie boarder as a kid. Got into the "uber cool" drop knee phase and then one of the local pros said "here's a surfboard, might as well stand up your half way there.." (not sure how rad I would feel in my 30's running down to the beach with my sponge, yet lots of my friends never gave it up...)

I also do hot yoga every day.
    27° 18°

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    shouldn't you be trolling people helping kids with cancer?

sponging != kneeboarding brohole310

do you bros not realize just how toxic you guys are? from a fucking callout to kumbaya? what a weird black comedy.
    That's all I get? A callout on a completely tasteless mistake I made six months ago? Toxic bros? C'mon, I know you can cut deeper than that!

Skier that's trying to learn to Surf..Living on Wrong Island and traveling off it to play I figure Maybe I should try something on the Island

Quote Originally Posted by davygoat2 View Post
    Skier that's trying to learn to Surf..Living on Wrong Island and traveling off it to play I figure Maybe I should try something on the Island
    I think proximity is one key for either. For me, the ocean's probably a more interesting environment though I don't really identify primarily as a surfer.

Proximity is Key! New Hampshire has the best of both albeit small coast.
    I don't see much of a difference in all our endevours. Ski Board Skate and Surf.
    Coexist I guess, A little ribbing is good fun.
    I await the day when the angry post and IBTL, is passed on as antiquity.
    And the the Vulcans Landed.

getting your rocks off..

Was having a talk with a friend the other day about committing to a line while skiing vs dropping into a wave. With riding as of late I have been more conservative with my actions. Sure I like to get rad but all the stars have to align.

With surfing for some reason it sort of the opposite. If there are waves all I want to do is catch the biggest set of the day. The consequences seem much lower in the ocean than in the mountains?? Or the variables are much less in the ocean and easier to see.. Rip Tides, your board, the bottom, other surfers.

The Mountains just have that unknown to them.. I guess that's why I never fully embraced Kayaking. Actually scares the shit out of me. Now 10-12 foot top to bottom barrels, count me in!!

What do you feel most comfortable in, I guess it all comes back to the original question... Surfer that Snowboards, or Skier that Surfs?
    For the most part the threads and forum seem to be happy right now, this is a good thing..

enjoy Dunfee

wait for it....

the mountains have no more unknown or danger in them than outside your door or in town or the city. so much can go wrong while walking down the street or driving a car. the mountains seem much safer to me.

Quote Originally Posted by media310 View Post
    With surfing for some reason it sort of the opposite. If there are waves all I want to do is catch the biggest set of the day. The consequences seem much lower in the ocean than in the mountains?? Or the variables are much less in the ocean and easier to see.. Rip Tides, your board, the bottom, other surfers...
    I think both environments have their variables that command respect. Surfing can be odd in that fast small beachbreak can seem very harmless and is one of the most dangerous environments for surfers. Rips are more a conveyor belt than a hazard most times, fortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by media310 View Post
    Once a waterman, always a waterman. This is actually really cool and unique. Saw a guy ripping a few weeks ago on a 12+ sea kayak.. Honestly surfboard, sponge, kneething, mcdonalds tray, if your stoked and willing to paddle out that's all that really matters right!!

I will admit I was a boogie boarder as a kid. Got into the "uber cool" drop knee phase and then one of the local pros said "here's a surfboard, might as well stand up your half way there.." (not sure how rad I would feel in my 30's running down to the beach with my sponge, yet lots of my friends never gave it up...)
    WHAT the fuck are you? You start with once a waterman always a waterman and end with you're worried about what you are seen with running to the water? I feel sorry for the cell phone generation or whatever-you guys are lame.

Quote Originally Posted by Ski to Be View Post
    I would be a skier that surfs. Came late to surfing and will never be as good at surfing as skiing but I love surfing more right now. Both have a great aesthetic . To counter what Koot said I would also add that rockered fat skis have made powder the new point break. Too many skiers battling for fresh tracks. Now with the explosion of touring gear you have to go further and further out to have some isolation. I am probably the equivalent of of an intermediate skier in the water but I have that stoke when I do new things on a surfboard that I used to have 3 decades ago when I was an improving skier. I learned surfing in the PNW and there is rarely any aggro people in the water here as there is a mutual respect for everyone that is out in 50 degree water. When in So Cal or Hawaii I always show respect and have never had anyone get aggressive with me.
    I think you nailed it on this comment. After 22 years living and surfing in San Clemente, I got so fed up with what surfing had become and fled for the mountains. Now I surf snow (on a snowboard of course), and the occasional wave on the Oregon Coast. I got so sick of battling for waves I eventually gave up and more or less quit surfing about a year prior to leaving all the while living less than 200 yards from the clock tower stairs(the beach). Oh well. Ill take a powder day at Bachy over scrambling for double overhead set waves with 150 other wave hungry pricks at uppers/lowers/cottons/state/riviera/pier etc. any day.

anybody knocking on kneeboarding needs to do their homework

sprained my ankle on VW bumps at Stowe, opened my mind to the kneelo

Quote Originally Posted by splitinbend View Post
    I think you nailed it on this comment. After 22 years living and surfing in San Clemente, I got so fed up with what surfing had become and fled for the mountains. Now I surf snow (on a snowboard of course), and the occasional wave on the Oregon Coast. I got so sick of battling for waves I eventually gave up and more or less quit surfing about a year prior to leaving all the while living less than 200 yards from the clock tower stairs(the beach). Oh well. Ill take a powder day at Bachy over scrambling for double overhead set waves with 150 other wave hungry pricks at uppers/lowers/cottons/state/riviera/pier etc. any day.
    maybe try a different stretch of coastline.

Quote Originally Posted by thewon View Post
    Or a different break on the same coastline. I can certainly understand getting burned out on an activity, particularly if you have easy access to it, though.

Quote Originally Posted by splitinbend View Post
    Hammer to the nail.

Quote Originally Posted by SkyIsland View Post
    Or a different break on the same coastline. I can certainly understand getting burned out on an activity, particularly if you have easy access to it, though.
    Surfing is SOOOOO much more dynamic than skiing could ever be. Waves are so much more interesting and ever changing from 1 millisecond to the next. Skiing/riding on snow is nice and all, but it'd be a lot more dynamic and fun if the slope wasn't just sitting there and not moving at all. I've spent winters skiing completely untracked pow 7 days a week in the wasatch bc, never had to cross a track, but even then it was waist high at best. Turn left, turn right, over and over and over til yer at the bottom. Yawn. Then skin up and do it again.

Was pretty easy to move back to the beach year round after over 10 winters on snow. But we don't have crowd issues here.

Quote Originally Posted by thewon View Post
    Well I spent many-a days down in Mex, and almost went surf bum full time down there but got married instead, to another surfer and moved the two of us to Bend for some mountain/snow surfing life. I(we) honestly don't miss surfing much. We get my fill on visits and trips to pacific city. Overall we love being in Central Oregon. I work nights, and love getting to watch all the WCT tour when its in not in the us. Been a great year watching surfing. Being a surfer is a tough lifestyle. You crave perfect waves, and when the right swell finally shows up, you have to share with others when all i want is a beach to myself. Too bad there aren't more job options in Mex. Wife keeps saying one day we'll end up somewhere tropical. Who knows? Sri Lanka here we come.

Kinda like splitinbend. I learned to surf at 14 in Galveston Texas. That was 39 years ago ( fuck Im old) . Moved to NYC when I was 23 because of work. Ended up 5 houses from the boardwalk in Rockaway. After a year and a half moved to San Diego. All for surfing. Surf SoCal for 24 years and the last three I have been like splitenbend. The crowds and my need for more waves and less people led me to splitboarding. I started snowboarding in 1990? at Big bear, became a patroller and once again got tired of crowds, even going to mammoth on a regular basis. One day while driving down 395 I looked over at Mt. Tom, saw elderberry canyon and decided to learn about backcountry travel.
    Now, ten seasons later Im starting to move back towards surfing. At first I was forcing myself,but I have had some overhead, long glassy peaks at sunset cliffs and the stoke is back.
    Im on my longboard , don't give a damn about style, speed or crowds. I take it for what it is. A day in the water I love it again
    I also own a boat. I love to wakeboard. so I think its more about sliding sideways for me. On anything
    And, on occasion I take the boat out just past point loma where there are a few reef breaks only avalible by boat. I see the same faces and its a lot like being in the BC with good friends.
    Ill take whatever now. But I do get more butterflies on a big line in the BC than in big big surf. I don't know why Maybe cause I hate to tomahawk

Longboarding is interesting, in that in SoCal I think it creates more scarcity much of the time. I'm too wimpy to want to get out through most SoCal beachbreaks on a longboard, anyway, so shortboarding just on that level gives me more access and for me keeps it enjoyable and a bit easier as regards getting out.