Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by CG View Post
    I swear by a shovel with hoe mode. You can move a ton of snow FAST in hoe mode. That and saying hoe mode in a semi professional setting is fun.
    Once you go hoe, you don't go back.

Seriously. Dig a pit with a hoe sometime, then think about what shovel you want your buddy digging you out with.

Like mentioned: The best one is one you bring with you. So firstly make sure it fits your pack, then consider if weight is an issue before you choose. If you ever think about leaving a shovel behind it might be the wrong one.

I actually swear by a quiver of shovels so to say - meaning two: One larger for big packs and one smaller that will fit any small pack used for sidecountry or short tours.

Quote Originally Posted by cmcrawfo View Post
    You cant spew troll garbage one minute, then try and sound hard as fuck the next. You may want to re-think this.
    You're new around here huh?

Well meet the Rawg.

This shit is all he does.

Buster - the K2 Shovels are pretty nice IMO. Hoe function, nice flat blade for science or stove rest. The scalloped blade edge seems to cut into harder snow far better than my other shovels with flat edge like voile telepro. Wish K2 made one with a saw in the shaft like voile.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Seriously. One of the biggest tools here. Shovels an amazing amount of bullshit. Disregard.
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Buster - the K2 Shovels are pretty nice IMO. Hoe function, nice flat blade for science or stove rest. The scalloped blade edge seems to cut into harder snow far better than my other shovels with flat edge like voile telepro. Wish K2 made one with a saw in the shaft like voile.
    [poppa woody] Ah bees kneeding one o dem hoe functions. Oh yeah.[/poppa woody]

I've got a voile and it's OK but I'd like to tune the packsize down a little and the voile just seems clunky and big. It works fine, but I was just thinking that maybe something just a smidge smaller might work. Hence the query.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

and btw, props to most of you for keeping on topic.
    I concede a topical troll tangent and was pleasantly surprised...

I've got a voile and it's OK but I'd like to tune the packsize down a little and the voile just seems clunky and big. It works fine, but I was just thinking that maybe something just a smidge smaller might work. Hence the query.
    The K2 blade is a little more compact, doesn't have the extended ferrule ( ) of the voile.

This helps is some of my packs but in others the voile fits (ferrule down) betterer.

They're not the lightest though. I think Ortovox makes a skimpier shovel with similar hoe features that might be more the ticket?
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

If someone on TGR tells you he sells custom intuition liners without customizing them, cuts his tail straps off new skins, doesn't buy snow tires or proper car insurance (if allowed) and uses (this is new) a plastic shovel ... its roj

I know there was one other alias between roj and thewon that I forget ... were there others ?

You know if you got rog really mad when he posts homophobic slurs and goes away to resurface as someone else
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

(Checks dimensions of scoop on G3 Avitech...)
    Exactly 9.5"x10.5"

Odd measurements though, because it's quite similar in size to a Telepro. I think the two companies must measure from a different point.

If I was buying today, I'd look at one of the new BDs with the hoe function (or the several other shovels already on the market with that function).
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    They're not the lightest though. I think Ortovox makes a skimpier shovel with similar hoe features that might be more the ticket?
    Skimpy hoe? Oh yeah!

Lexan worked great for many years of carrying in a pack, letting kids use it as a sled, digging pits and making kickers and some driveway work, but it never saw use in an emergency digging through solidified debris. 20 yrs later the kids still play with them and they remain unbroken. I think it's been the BD D7? or D3 the last ~7-8yrs that also stays in the pack and is used for occasional pits, digging stomping pads, etc. Bestest biggest baddest, I doubt it- but it will still help locate the crumpled body that's been through the strainer.

Old beacons, plastic shovels, on to the next troll topic- "I won't tour with anyone without at least a 300cm probe."
    Move upside and let the man go through...

I've had no issues getting thru serious chunk with my lexan. Wicked sharp too. Light.

Quote Originally Posted by BFD View Post
    10"x15"
    that is the size of the Voile tele pro. I have mine since I tele'd. Advertised to move tons of snow and has lived up to it's reputation.
    I have the mini version, only 1.5" smaller 13.5 x 10, d handle as well great shovel if you have limited space in the pack or are small like me

Quote Originally Posted by thewon View Post
    I've had no issues getting thru serious chunk with my lexan. Wicked sharp too. Light.
    Doubt if it was that serious
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1416426159.002087.jpg 
Views:	229 
Size:	849.8 KB 
ID:	160588
    “I have a responsibility to not be intimidated and bullied by low life losers who abuse what little power is granted to them as ski patrollers.”

Quote Originally Posted by snoqpass View Post
    Doubt if it was that serious
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1416426159.002087.jpg 
Views:	229 
Size:	849.8 KB 
ID:	160588
    if it were that^^^^^^^^^^^^^^serious, you'd more than likely be recovering a death by trauma patient. or you prolly wouldn't get to them quickly enough no matter what shovel you have.

that ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^guy was prolly going out of his way to try to crack it, for content's sake.

“I have a responsibility to not be intimidated and bullied by low life losers who abuse what little power is granted to them as ski patrollers.”

if it were that^^^^^^^^^^^^^^serious, you'd more than likely be recovering a death by trauma patient. or you prolly wouldn't get to them quickly enough no matter what shovel you have.

that ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^guy was prolly going out of his way to try to crack it, for content's sake.
    Yeah listen the La Rawj, he's the ultimate hardman's hard man when it comes to extreem-o skiing... unlike "that^^^^^^^^^^^^^^guy"

Quote Originally Posted by Tri-Ungulate View Post
    Yeah listen the La Rawj, he's the ultimate hardman's hard man when it comes to extreem-o skiing... unlike "that^^^^^^^^^^^^^^guy"
    Yes. The "that guy" comment quite amused me as well.
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Quote Originally Posted by LightRanger View Post
    Yes. The "that guy" comment quite amused me as well.
    ooh "andrew". better now? hence, the "content" comment.

Here we go again.
    Down that road again
    Spewing and Snarling and Oh So Dumb

When dawn comes to touch my purple haze
    And evening's drowsiness to carry me away
    I know once again that there is nothing we can save,
    So I'll pack up my things, I'll be on my way.

Yes, here I go again
    Off down the road again
    Thinking thoughts of days gone by.
    Here I am again
    Singing my songs again
    Thinking and dreaming
    Thoughts of blue and sky.

Swirls of giant colors swam madly through my head,
    I looked around to find snow, but I just found rain instead.
    It might have been a dream for all the things we said
    But Ullr promised me —
    Darling Ullr promised me —

Yes, and here I go again
    Off down the road again
    Thinking thoughts of things gone by.
    Here I am again
    Singing my songs again
    Thinking and dreaming
    Oh I feel like I could cry.

Father's gone to fight the war,
    He left us here alone.
    I shiver in the lonesome night
    Beside the telephone
    But time brings no word,
    I guess he's not coming home,
    It feels like the end,
    It feels like the end, my friend.

Here we go again
    Off down the road again
    Thinking thoughts of things gone by.
    Here I am again
    Singing my songs again
    Thinking and dreaming
    Oh I feel like I could
    Thinking and dreaming
    Oh I feel like I could
    Thinking and dreaming
    Oh I feel like I could die.
    Oh, yeah!

ooh "andrew". better now? hence, the "content" comment.
    I see. Because somebody was paying him to break plastic shovels? Or he broke one an expedition solely to blog about it? Please clarify.

Also, here's another post (eight years old now, mind), about how shitty plastic shovels are for rescue use: https://web.archive.org/web/20130223...eleNews69.html That dude was notorious for pandering to gear companies, eh?

Edit: You're right, Buster. But sometimes it's hard to help.

Quote Originally Posted by LightRanger View Post
    I see. Because somebody was paying him to break plastic shovels? Or he broke one an expedition solely to blog about it? Please clarify.
    Why should Roj bother clarifying, it's obvious he has waay more avy skillz than that "andrew" whatshizname guy who is obviously a sensationalist know-nothing industry shill

If I said "Don't try to teach anybody lessons", I'd be trying to teach a lesson.

Ignore, ignore, ignore. Stop the feeding.

eh, you guys ate it up. suckers.

sticking with my lexan. use whatever you choose. good luck!