Page 4 of 27 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    hanscoms and kelners wasatch tours series old school but good
    tighty whitey tysen squeeky voice bradleys got his own
    every dog w/ an ego to stroke gotta a blogz filled w/ their exploits
    i'd imagine caroline gliech has her wasatch guide book out soon
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Quote Originally Posted by couloirman View Post
    I'm coming out to SLC for a week or two in January. Any good guidebooks out there for the surrounding backcountry to help plan my trip? I know about The Chuting Gallery by Andrew Mclean, just wondering if anything else is worth picking up.
    This map and website are a great overview, plus profits from sales of the paper map go to the FUAC:
    http://wbskiing.com/

Bonus, the same guy that created the map also created:
    http://beaconreviews.com/transceivers/

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    i'd imagine caroline gliech has her wasatch guide book out soon
    I'll only buy it if it also functions as a flip book of her continually licking her upper lip, speaking or not. I'm pretty sure she's part snake and smells with the tip of her tongue.

Quote Originally Posted by Sh4ft View Post
    This map and website are a great overview, plus profits from sales of the paper map go to the FUAC:
    http://wbskiing.com/

Bonus, the same guy that created the map also created:
    http://beaconreviews.com/transceivers/
    That's just a map, not a guidebook like he asked. Not to say a map wouldn't help. Chuting gallery is good but many of those lines in it will be unskiable or pretty shitty if it doesn't snow soon.

Quote Originally Posted by couloirman View Post
    I'm coming out to SLC for a week or two in January. Any good guidebooks out there for the surrounding backcountry to help plan my trip? I know about The Chuting Gallery by Andrew Mclean, just wondering if anything else is worth picking up.
    show up, look up, start walking.

sfb pointed you in the right direction on the Wasatch Tours series. Other than that drive up LCC to the end of the road and go up on one of the 50 or so skinners.
    Bunny Don't Surf

Have you seen a one armed man around here?

Anyone out today or yesterday? Sounds like things are going to be a variable mess if/when a substantial amount of snow falls.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1418518905.161263.jpg 
Views:	251 
Size:	1,005.7 KB 
ID:	161414

Solitude was pretty nice today. Jmedslc was kind enough to show us the ropes for a few runs. Good times were had for sure.

tis the season dodged a "girl bomb" of shreddin babes cuttin across eagle and headed w/ the mrs. up silver fk

the .5 to 4 that fell bonded pretty good and couldn't find much wind drift, slab or dangerz of the instabilities of snow pack
    gray bird w/ a dropping cloud deck some graupel fine grain snow right around freezing and not much wind.
    had to boot a bit of the sfacing as dust on bullitproof steep wasn't skinning well
    did sum diggin while waittin for the toph to join
    pit results from just down off the flanigans ridge reveled surprisingly high 20's ct's of a 2' 1 finger slab sitting on 4-6" of large basal

once off ridgeline in protected n facing terrain the snowpack changed to bottomless loose snow facets the new snow didn't bond nearly as well
    and cuts on steeper aspects would run fairly well
    skied surprisingly well for a less than waist deep pack but still gots another core shot to fix
    mrs. bum gits sum

T

other obs include a team renegade sighting and thumbs up on the davenport line they schrapled
    some meadows skippers
    and
    Ermie the powder critter
    free it be it and send it

"When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Lost a pair of Smith IOS googles in Silver Fork today please hit me up if anyone finds a pair.

Otherwise Davenport skied awesome today no instabilities seen

couple days late on this but: Saturday 12/13 went up Mill D South into Cardiff Fork near High Ivory. The only new snow I saw was graupel. A few hand pits and one real pit confirmed what the UAC is puttin' out and what SFB found. My pit at about 9600', 27deg slope (wanted to dig on something steeper), E facing showed about 4" graupel, a dense midpack 1F-2F that was about 1.5'-2' thick and about 4" of the old facet layer. The whole column on the ECT broke at 21 or 22 hits on the old facet layer with no energy, and those facets were damp. This pit I think gets some shade because another E facing slope had a hard crust about 2" thick beneath the new snow. That new snow certainly freshened things up. Best turns I had so far out of only 3 times out. Wish I was out there today.

Ermin'ses!
    Johnny's only sin was dispair

skifishbum! always brings the stoke, i love your post, great ermine photos!

keep building that base ooOtah, i'll be back for a few days in two weeks, i wants to ski your powduhz

Quote Originally Posted by BRUTAH View Post
    skifishbum! always brings the stoke, i love your post, great ermine photos!

keep building that base ooOtah, i'll be back for a few days in two weeks, i wants to ski your powduhz
    Will you be there after the 1st?

Awesome stoats!

Some good stuff today. Up Griz, down Twin Lake, up to Honeycomb Cliffs, down Michican City. Skied down to the crusts below... wasn't the 14" we got at Alta, but it sure didn't suck.

Rawr

Up up up

Hoarz growing on the E side of the pole, all rimed up on the W side.

Down Down Down

All Smiles

Up again

Superior looking REAL nice.

More Smiles

Transition

And back Down

Woo!

looks like u guys had a great time, tbatt! Nice pics.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat Sig View Post
    Will you be there after the 1st?
    leave on the night of the first. short trip, only a few days in utah, the rest we'll be in colorado.

Dawn patrolled this morning up Grizzly Gulch. Patsy tress held good soft snow. All of the open terrain in the gulch was wind boarded, at least near the skintrack. Plenty of folks gettin' out early in the morning.

Name:	West Monitor 12-17-14 016.jpg 
Views:	401 
Size:	1.67 MB 
ID:	161559Click image for larger version. 

Name:	West Monitor 12-17-14 022.jpg 
Views:	497 
Size:	1.53 MB 
ID:	161560 Snows still good, some one needs some ski lessons before the head out in the hills, put my ob on the avy page

so in addition to being a freelance expert avalanche forecaster do you give ski lessons as well?
    the won school of wasatch wiggle?
    very few people in this community or the wasatch think your more than a blowhard tool
    of the ratcheting variety
    more old acquiescences stopped by some more welcome than others

Quote Originally Posted by spindrift65 View Post

Name:	West Monitor 12-17-14 022.jpg 
Views:	497 
Size:	1.53 MB 
ID:	161560 Snows still good, some one needs some ski lessons before the head out in the hills, put my ob on the avy page
    nah. heres how it went down. after spotting sprindrift65 aka "monitor mark" loitering about the cornice, they decided to gtfo before that UAC assclown repeats his signiture wonton cornice dropping.
    style matters...

Classic, you got Ski Utah's employee of the year skifishbumbumhead along with his biggest fanboy, jong straight outta Alabama bashing the UAC and MW. Love it, carry on this shit is bringing the "STOKE".

oh yeah!
    here we go, bring it wasangeles.
    SFB, come's correct, those are signature rojbot turns, never get outside of yer comfort zone!
    crab in my shoe mouth

rojbot, don't know anyone from the Wasatch with that name. Bob Athey, Kowboy and lot's of others been wiggling in the Wasatch long time, it's cultural around here. Call them out PUSSY. I shred don't ski, my line down WM would have been a straightline most likely but I sure as hell wouldn't have taken five turns, traversed the slope, take another five turns, traverse the slope???? Not rocket science. Straight it or wiggle it don't take a big shit on it. New Hampshire...love it, CLASSIC.