Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    East facing upper had some wind affect near ridge. A little better down low. S facing rollerballing by 10. Beautiful day. Winds weren't too bad.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    throwin a significant load on shitty basal facets outta spook ya. i did find the anti alta instagrammer on the website unprofessionally funny
    butt hurt "protected class"-lessness which is probably why it disappeared
    warm one mid 30's at 9 headed up #8023 and over to a dope colored hood

good amount of mid elevation winds had stout drifts on the ridgeline

good turning if ya got high nuff Johnny Wasatch lays em down

good nuff for me to do another solo
    got the kit out to confirm the hasties and tales of a few storms

ct high single digits at the ground
    ect higher and at thin crust above early nov facets

2 significant graupel layers/events in weekends storm observed

a bit of collapsing on ridge and on slope but no visible cracking nor avvies observed or created
    exit turning conditions below about 8.5k wet, thin and charcter building

the what felt like the entire basin floor collapsing was only only matched in spookiness by the mid canyon black ice
    in my totally unprofessional opinion of course

give thanks be safe git sum
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

My progeny has gotten the bug in a big way this season, little bastard called in sick to his job today to hike around Brighton. He's got wheels, skins, beacon, and everything else. I'd like it if sometime he could tag along wit cha and get a bit of info that a 17 yo idiot needs. (D)

ill take him to the strip club next winter

get him signed up for an Avy I class.

as skb stated, it was in the upper 30's early in the am yesterday ... even at 5am. also, spot on with that midcanyon ice comment on the down as that provided a little surprise. didn't hear anything in terms of collapses or cracking, see any cracks or get anything to move at all. snow seems to have settled a bit and rode like nice settled powder. way fun. happy thanksgiving to all

Quote Originally Posted by BobMc View Post
    My progeny has gotten the bug in a big way this season, little bastard called in sick to his job today to hike around Brighton. He's got wheels, skins, beacon, and everything else. I'd like it if sometime he could tag along wit cha and get a bit of info that a 17 yo idiot needs. (D)
    damn i guess another turn earnin junkies gettin hooked
    i'm worried about his decision makin process as yesterday wasn't near blowoff work good imhuo
    kids welcome to tag along w/ me and the all about the up better 1/2 i hooked
    aint never took avvies 1 and the basis of any actual or percieved bc competence came from unprofessional "enthusiast" enabler addicts who bestowed the tag along kindness and enough self preservation wisdom to allow me to fuck up and learn a bit more
    fwiw watchin icegrom take a ride and be what them professionals like to call a "catch n carry" statistic based on my poor terrain choices for the snowpack stability at the time
    was one of the spookiest done fucked up things i managed
    but i'm prettty damn sure the lessons learned made us both better partners.
    b right on has been doing cheap, good intro classes and he'll probably get more out of a class if his crew joins him
    i'm headed up that way lookin like a solo ridge walk feel free to give him my digits.
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Sillytude giving up some of that Wasnatch love for a couple of CA kooks

"In a perfect world I'd have all 10 fingers on my left hand, so I could just use my right hand for punching."

headed up crest to pio pleasant graybird ridge walkin day
    s facin a bit soft but pretty firm overall
    plenty of scour n redeposit drifting on the northern aspects

no instabilities felt or observed on ridge or across in snake

was able to keep on the ridge fairly well until about the false pio summit
    when it got wishin for a whippet, slide 4 lifeishly firm down towards the se valentene chutes
    manage to gingerly pop em off and boot the final 10 steps
    was hopin to milk out the dog lake chutes subridge down n out

figured there besome down climbing and ptex sacrificing
    probably coulda/shouda down climbed to where i wanted to be from more towards, what i think they call white cliffs and the catherines pass side, but ski cut er
    cracked below me and released at the convexity pulling out wind drifts and pockets to the floor.

called ac and they called brighton dispatch, who called me to offer assistance and to check the slide from the bottom
    both of which i was grateful of.
    skied, side stepped and down climbed back from the cornice laden ridgeline and down and out a skinner across the top of mary's chutes
    and checked in to let them now what happened
    never really saw the slide from the bottom and unsure of dimensions patrol said sizeable w/ a pretty good debris field
    but it pulled out 3'-4' pockets to the ground on the way down

hope ya all enjoyed the holiday of thanks being given
    silly summit and gdub projected opening tommarrow
    if ya needed 2 more

Yesterday spooked us pretty good up with ARPowhound and two others on our way to Wolverine Bowl. We decided to go to Patsy Marly route but got interrupted by this...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1417153918.668981.jpg 
Views:	355 
Size:	651.6 KB 
ID:	160849

Remote fracture traveled 100+ feet over and released the Patsy Marly face. Luckily we were traveling avy safe, 1 at a time, nobody took a ride.

Here is what I submitted to UAC...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1417154042.615954.jpg 
Views:	317 
Size:	383.9 KB 
ID:	160850
    Quote Originally Posted by SpinalTap View Post
    I'm really troubled by whatever pictures the Don had to search through to arrive at that one...

Quote Originally Posted by JTrue View Post
    Skied E facing 10.8k Wolvie laps today, didn't see anyone else for some reason.

They took most of the rocks out and changed it's aspect, so it skied more like Grizz. Lots of whumping and cracking, careful out there.
    Does anyone else not have clue what this means?
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________
    "We don't need predator control, we need whiner control. Anyone who complains that "the gummint oughta do sumpin" about the wolves and coyotes should be darted, caged, and released in a more suitable habitat for them, like the middle of Manhattan." - Spats

"I'm constantly doing things I can't do. Thats how I get to do them." - Pablo Picasso

Cisco and his wife are fragile idiots who breed morons.

SFB narrowly escapes avalanche in Wasatch backcountry

http://www.sltrib.com/news/1883238-1...che-in-wasatch
    When life gives you haters, make haterade.

Quote Originally Posted by sfotex View Post
    SFB narrowly escapes avalanche in Wasatch backcountry

http://www.sltrib.com/news/1883238-1...che-in-wasatch
    A skier narrowly escaped an avalanche he triggered near Brighton, demonstrating the danger of slides on north-facing slopes.

The skier was on Pioneer Ridge, west of Brighton, on Thursday morning when he released a slab that took out nearly all the snow on the steep, north-facing slope below him, exposing the ground under the snowpack. The skier was asked where he was going alone in dangerous avalanche terrain, and he responded, "Headed up crest to pio pleasant graybird ridge walkin day s facin a bit soft but pretty firm overall." He may have suffered a minor stroke during the incident, as he mostly talked jibberish to the reporter.

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    but ski cut er
    cracked below me and released at the convexity pulling out wind drifts and pockets to the floor.

called ac and they called brighton dispatch, who called me to offer assistance and to check the slide from the bottom
    both of which i was grateful of.
    skied, side stepped and down climbed back from the cornice laden ridgeline and down and out a skinner across the top of mary's chutes
    and checked in to let them now what happened
    never really saw the slide from the bottom and unsure of dimensions patrol said sizeable w/ a pretty good debris field
    but it pulled out 3'-4' pockets to the ground on the way down

hope ya all enjoyed the holiday of thanks being given
    silly summit and gdub projected opening tommarrow
    if ya needed 2 more
    Glad the dragons didn't get you. Got next Tuesday off lets get a tour in. Leroy you back in town?

this place has gone to pot. long time maggot starts sizable slide that makes the avy forecast and news and nothing but a couple of posts with some minor ribbing to show for it.

ya ever wonder what the true # of times ya narrowly avoided an avalaunche w/out even knowing it is?

ya ever wonder what the true # of times ya narrowly avoided an avalaunche w/out even knowing it is?
    It's a lot more than most would admit to. Btw was yours a full remote trigger or were you looking to ski that? No judge either way just curious what your approach was.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Star View Post
    this place has gone to pot. long time maggot starts sizable slide that makes the avy forecast and news and nothing but a couple of posts with some minor ribbing to show for it.
    There was no bro brah photographers or anonymous pro athlete/models involved, so what's the point?
    When life gives you haters, make haterade.

Definitely a good point worth bringing up.

Quote Originally Posted by Bromontana View Post
    It's a lot more than most would admit to. Btw was yours a full remote trigger or were you looking to ski that? No judge either way just curious what your approach was.
    i didn't go up there to slay some gnarz, practice ski cuts, intentionally cause avvies and need to report them and get my name on a list or sensationalize dangers of bc skiiing.
    Hadn't been up there neither had anyone else and unless you go it's hard to know what the snowpack there looks like.
    i don't roll solo a lot but this tour and the egp ridgeline are a couple that are within my solo risk tolerance level
    No desire to ski anything up there but the subridge in the 4th pic and the possibly lower dog lake shots
    at the top i needed to get across or around that slope to stay on the subridge
    I'm not that into bootpackin or downclimbing suspect slopes or having things break above me or holding the 4 peices of equipment skiers use should the shit hit the fan.
    so i cut it from the top and hoped it didn't go or if it did it would be below my cut
    I started the cut above the slab in a few inches of unconsolidated soft snow and ended where i took the pic on the subridge in the trees.
    did it break higher than i wanted and was it spincter puckening?
    well hell yeahs but not nearly as the potential slide 4 life you can't skin this fuck up on the s side or black ice sliding towards on going traffic.
    Was it a simple self preservation maneuver that ive done enough to feel comfortable employing?
    yup
    but "Luckily" narrowly avoids avvy death/ride sure sound better if your gig is to sensationalize 1 aspect of a dangerous sport
    Last edited by skifishbum; 11-30-2014 at 09:20 AM.

that's what I figured cheers. Slow news day

perfectly played i'd say.

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    guess if your just touring golf courses.
    There's always rock hunting ;-)

It's orthodontist approved.
    Johnny's only sin was dispair

looking to get out on thursday with someone that knows the lay of the land for a casual tour. new to the satch but have a functional amount of bc experience and won't slow you down. i'll bring the pre/post/mid-tour beers if you're into that sorta thing.

glewstick left his skis (viole busters + dynafits and bd poles usually with voile strap on them) in alta parking lot across (north) from the albion sign. if anyone grabbed them please contact me, we gotta get him out there again to help save your life.