Opinions on being filmed

I want to ask the community your opinion on being filmed by a "drone" I live in San Diego and we have an approaching swell with good size. I want to take my octocopter out to Bigrock friday or saturday and film from shore.
    I dont have the ability to paddle out into the line up and get everyones ok, so maybe I shouldnt think about it.
    But, I havent met many action sports people who are camera shy or really care, as long as you can send them the clip of their ride.
    This isnt commercial work, just want to improve my shooting skills.
    And Im not flying a Phantom, instead an S-1000 with a GH4 which makes the size of the "drone" errr....quite large

So, flame away

How would you fell about somebody hovering above your break?

Heres my bird

http://www.dji.com/product/spreading-wings-s1000

Most surfers are cool with it and just want to be able to see the footage. In my experience.

So long as your drone doesn't drop in on folks, i don't see it being a problem.

They are in public and you have every right to film anything they do. There is no expectation of privacy in public. Now if you try to make a video and make money off it, that's a different story.
    Brought to you by Carl's Jr.

drones are a real grey zone. thats a sick setup.

are you able to link up with 1 or 2 local surfers and film at a less popular break with consent? I would be worried about liability more then anything. Crashing your drone into some scumbag trustfunder with a little dick daddy lawyer could be a nightmare. There is nothing illegal about the actual filming though.

post up some shots off that "drone"

Throw in a few fluffers, some blow and a dvd afterwards and you can hang around and buy us drinks on Maui.

The surf is UP right now too.

It should be fine. I think most folks would be OK with it.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

most surfers would be stoked on the footie! Typically when it's good everyone is in the water including photogs. That being said if they copter gets dunked then what? Does it float, how would you get it out of the water?

I believe the only place these are banned is at Old Faithful in Yellowstone, as someone lost theirs into the geezer this summer..

Do you ever shoot ski or snowboard? Does the camera and copter work at altitude? If so we should talk, shoot me a PM

Id go for it. doubt anyone would care, unless you were at some non existent socal secret spot. maybe offer a card with your email, so they can view the footy later. can you water stamp video? Maybe you can sell to offset your costs. a lot of still photogs up here us santacruzwaves to sell pics, i guess making them pros.

Swell never realy got that good down here. I surfed instead of filming

. That being said if they copter gets dunked then what? Does it float, how would you get it out of the water?
    It doesnt float. I would be out about 10K including camera, but thats the cost of biz

Do you ever shoot ski or snowboard? Does the camera and copter work at altitude? If so we should talk, shoot me a PM
    I would like to use it to film skiing, snowboarding. The altitude wouldnt be a problem as much as keeping batteries charged and warm
    It is a two person rig, one to fly and one to operate the cam. We have live video downlink so we are watching our shots as we fly.
    Its fairly portable, with a sled it could make it up to the top

How much does the rig weigh? Could one skin it up attached to the pack? It would be cool to be able to film some of the bigger eastside lines.

It weighs about 22 pounds with camera and batteries. But, you also have to bring two Transmitters with 8 inch monitors and the baats for that, and I have a total of 5 flight packs. It flies 15 minutes per pack. So, you can shoot around an hour and a half then all those battereis need a recharge. So, you would have to run a generator for three hours or get a room in town for recharge.
    Best use would be sled accessed lines in the BC