Early Season Front Range Backcountry

I recently moved to Boulder and am getting pretty antsy to ski. I figured I would post here to see if anyone had recommendations as far as what may be filled in/safe this time of year. Most things that I can think of in Indian Peaks either need way more snow or are sketchy and/or wind-blasted. It would be nice to avoid I70 if at all possible. Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by threedimes View Post
    I recently moved to Boulder and am getting pretty antsy to ski. I figured I would post here to see if anyone had recommendations as far as what may be filled in/safe this time of year. Most things that I can think of in Indian Peaks either need way more snow or are sketchy and/or wind-blasted. It would be nice to avoid I70 if at all possible. Thanks in advance.
    It's gonna be pretty bony for the most part anywhere with maybe small isolated pockets of a few turns. We had a pretty warm fall season as you know. The good news is that we might have less of a crappy depth hoar base this year if it stays cold after all this new snow fell!

Yeah, I figured as much. I was up at Heart/Pear Lakes last weekend and there were definitely skiable lines, but that's a long way to haul gear. Also, without having actually checked it out, I'm assuming most steep, sheltered, north-facing terrain is a sketchy mix of windslabs, crusts, and facets. I wast thinking maybe something mellower off of Niwot Ridge above Long Lake, but I have no idea what it looks like up there right now. I'll probably go up and at least check out the snowpack.

I'd be wary of anything NW-N-NE, especially above treeline right now. (could be issues on other aspects, but I think those are the main ones) Those are the aspects that likely have old snow remaining - a mix of facets/crusts - with a lot of new snow on top. For now, I would try to find something that didn't have any snowcover before all that's come in the last few days - but it's still not going to be very deep.
    I french kissed Kelly Kapowski.

Yeah, unfortunately that's where the snow is. Just have to keep it low-angle.

Anyone been up to the IPW recently? I am going to go poke around tomorrow and am trying to decide what general area to head to. I was thinking Brainard or St Vrain, but I'm guessing both will be pretty ugly coverage wise. There were some lines in near the divide near the East Portal a few weekends ago, but that's a long haul in and out for a couple hundred feet of vertical.

Northern mountains faired much better out of this round of storms.

Cross post from anothe site

http://www.powderbuzz.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1688

What's the goal? Hike/skin around and check things out or ski?
    Last edited by V.R.P; 11-21-2014 at 02:30 PM.

The main goal is just to get out and check out the snowpack and skin around, but it would be really nice to get some turns in too. St Vrain looks like the top is skiable from Longmont, but who knows if that is actually the case, and getting out would almost certainly suck. I was thinking the east-facing bowl above Lefthand reservoir might be ok, but I have no idea what the coverage is like or if it is too low angle.

Looks like the Third Flatiron is in. Bring your rock skis.

The east side of the Indian Peaks typically have long approaches and thin snow packs. They are a good option when an upslope hits in the spring but this time of year you will be better off on the west side of Cameron Pass or along I70.

It's not ski season, it's pre-season. There is some walking around to be done. A turn here a there. It's good to put the boots and and get some fresh air but it is what it is. Keep the tips up and mind the snakes and sharks.

If you really want to ski think super high elevation, south facing (seriously), grass covered slopes. Will probably be a long walk in and out.

Anyone been up to the IPW recently? I am going to go poke around tomorrow and am trying to decide what general area to head to. I was thinking Brainard or St Vrain, but I'm guessing both will be pretty ugly coverage wise. There were some lines in near the divide near the East Portal a few weekends ago, but that's a long haul in and out for a couple hundred feet of vertical.
    St. Vrain gets pounded by the wind. I could be wrong, but I'd expect windboard and sastrugi up there. Even in the spring on good snow years, the approach from the ski road doesn't fill in very well.

Btw, Crested Butte has great early season BC

Buyer beware this early, both for avalanches if there is any older snow underneath and for the rocks and stumps.

Look at the snotel sites. Some places have 5" and others have 18". That is a big difference between hitting bottom every turn and skiing well. The Indian peaks are both very rocky and have less snow than some other places.

http://www.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/webmap/...-122.12&zoom=4

I agree with most of the comments above. IPW = bony as hell and long approaches, but you can find some goods if you're willing to do the work. If you can still drive up to the 4th of July TH you might be able to get some stuff up high, but this wind looks pretty wicked. Neva was pretty good this time last year. Might be some north facing shots a couple miles up Hesse. Hidden valley for some meadow skipping. There are also some somewhat hidden areas out of east portal that might be good. North of heart lake, shorter approach, you can find it with a map.

Thanks guys. Sounds like I'll wait for a couple more storms for Indian Peaks to be worthwhile.

IPW is much better in the spring than the winter, IMHO. Talk about windy as hell.....

Jones Pass area is always a big hit for early season turns. But, the snowpack might be sketchball there right now, so watch out! Butler's is not a bad choice either. Only problem is that you have to deal with the dreaded I-70. You might find a few good things at RMNP by now....
    -
    14erskiers.com

"Don't be afraid of the spaces between your dreams and reality. If you can dream it, you can make it so." - Belva Davis

"There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle"--Albert Einstein