Pieps DSP Smart vs Tour?

I'm looking for an new 3 antennae beacon and it looks like there are good deals on the DSP Smart (pre Black Diamond). Otherwise I would buy the newer Tour model. Does anyone have experience with these to recommend one over the other?

The older DSP is comparable to the new DSP Pro. Some companies are labeling it as the "DSP Smart" but that isn't actually accurate, the beacon was just called the DSP and all models of DSPs have the "smart transmitter." The DSP Sport is a trimmed down version without as many features.

AFAIK they didn't add any real functionality to the DSP Pro when BD bought them compared to the older DSP. I did see a mention on another forum that the software logic for the marking function was improved on the Sport/Pro and marking victims in a multiple burial search is now more reliable. I don't know if that's true, or if an older DSP with the newest firmware version is just as good? (Edit #2 for those finding this thread in a search: I am wrong on this, read Jonathan S's links below.)

DSP Pro (and older DSP) have the "Scan" function, the ability to check other beacons for frequency drift, and compatibility with the dog beacon. The Sport does not have these features, but still does have the ability to mark victims in a multiple-burial search.

If it were me, I think the pre-BD DSP is fine.

Edit: the DSP Tour is also pre-BD, and is essentially the same as the new DSP Sport.
    Last edited by adrenalated; 11-13-2014 at 09:10 AM.

Last fall we kind of drove ourselves crazy trying to understand (and document) all the many improvements (mainly behind the scenes) in the new DSP Sport & Pro.
    The results (in the reviews, not our collective sanity) are posted here:
    http://beaconreviews.com/transceiver...psDSPSport.asp
    http://beaconreviews.com/transceiver...iepsDSPPro.asp

The surprising part is that BD *dropped* the prices.
    I had two avy students this fall who had bought the Sport for lower prices than closeout specials on the "old yellow" DSP models.
    As for the differences between the Sport vs Pro, kind of like a variation on that old saying, if you have to ask, then you probably don't care for the added functionality, so save yourself some $ on the Sport.
    (Although if you can make your way through both of those reviews and find yourself tempted by the Pro, then certainly nothing wrong with paying the extra $, especially as the price differential is relatively small.)
    Mo' skimo here: NE Rando Race Series

Thanks Jonathan! Great info, as always, at beaconreviews.

Pieps DSP Smart vs Tour?

Great stuff. I knew I should have just checked out beaconreviews.com to start. Thanks for the replies.

I got a little obsessive last night and was able to put together a deal from STP for "old yellow" for $220 shipped, so I pulled the trigger. I want to be very comfortable with it by early Feb when I'm heading to CO for a hut trip. It seems to have more features, but is more complicated than my old Tracker.
    Last edited by Peruvian; 11-13-2014 at 08:13 AM.

^ If you don't have anyone local to practice with, then I might be able to meet up with you on some upcoming midweek day after skinning/skiing somewhere in Southern VT (before my closer options open).
    Mo' skimo here: NE Rando Race Series