Page 4 of 36 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Dunfee View Post
    Curious if DOT knocked off anything big on glory with the wind slabs and heavy warm snow. Made for a hell of a drive at three this morning trying to get out of town
    The pass was closed @ 3am for maybe an hour for scheduled avy control. There have been the faint rumbles of avy control from I assume JHMR throughout the day.

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Holy heavy snow, bat-people!
    good 'base builder', I guess....
    You ain't kidding. Very dense, very supportable with a weird rimed crust. Made for awkward riding conditions. Even saw bugs flying around at low elevation today.

If it cools off & gets topped with some light n' dry, it could make for some easy pickin's next week.

Large slab avalanche on NE aspect of Olive Oil, at least a couple feet deep. Wide propagation, couldn't tell how far it ran.
    "The two best times to fish is when it's rainin' and when it ain't." - Rancid Crabtree

"never buy anything you can't fuel with a salami sandwich" - XXX-er

Throwing around the idea of a last minute trek up to Jackson from Park City tomorrow Fri. 11/28 for the weekend storm. PM if anyone is interested in showing me around the Pass on Sat/Sun. Avy trained.

Cheers
    Step into the Freezer

From jhavalanche

Is this the upper part of Avalanche Bowl? Any updates on the snowpack would be greatly appreciated. Out west eating turkey and chasing waves.
    So rain came in, things got warm, snow has been moving shedding the weak facet layers and settling as of late?

So whats up with the snow phone?

From the event log...this event happened on the 25th...
    A quick couple of jumps on a suspect wind loaded convexity just south of Chiver's Ridge (in front of radio tower) triggered a 400' wide X 150' long wind slab. Crown ranged from 12" to 30" with last night and today's heavier wind blown snow sliding on a density change from this weekend's lighter storm snow. The slide broke surprisingly wide, wrapping around half of the drainage/bowls convexity. The actual slide was quite "lethargic" due to the low slope angle and only carried for a short distance. The winds and the time were extreme/gale out of the WNW.
    Some crusts were formed following this with warm sun on Thursday

Media310 if you look at the picture from the slide last Tuesday ^ you will see Chiver's (south side) ridge in the upper-left corner (for a better perspective).

We headed out for a tour on the south side that afternoon but after 5 minutes on the service road, decided to dial it back and head up to Chiver's because of rapid snow transportation. On our way up I spotted a suspect convexity which was heavily loaded. My partner and I checked for people below, approached slowly and we're able to kick it off with a few ski jumps.

I've been out of town since the slide, anyone have anything to share about the pack as of late? Warm up settled things much? Any rounding occurring? Thanks!
    to ski another day

7:04am, only 5-6 parking spots left on the pass, parking lot at the Coach was half full. One skier walking up to the top from a first lap- in the dark. How fun is skiing in the dark? Guess i did kayak the Gallatin after dark once, but at least there was a moon [and we were high as fuck...]
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Quote Originally Posted by Tye 1on View Post
    How fun is skiing in the dark?
    Isn't there a nitty gritty dirt band song about that?

Quote Originally Posted by Tye 1on View Post
    7:04am, only 5-6 parking spots left on the pass, parking lot at the Coach was half full. One skier walking up to the top from a first lap- in the dark. How fun is skiing in the dark? Guess i did kayak the Gallatin after dark once, but at least there was a moon [and we were high as fuck...]
    Craziness. Stilson was full yesterday. Bombs over Baghdad this am at te village with control work. What's going on??
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

Former Managing Editor @ TGR, forever mag.

Craziness. Stilson was full yesterday. Bombs over Baghdad this am at te village with control work. What's going on??
    yeah, with the Ranch Lot going to $10 i bet Stilson will get crazy over the holidays.
    Maybe they're trying to get the Tram open? Guess tower 3 was skiing surprisingly well...
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Heard rumors about tram opening shortly when there on Sunday. But who knows.

Def. was a little surprised to see a mostly full parking lot up at the pass this AM.

I took the bus from stilson for the first time ever this past week- so yea I think it's going to be much busier with $10 parking now at the ranch lot.
    Tower 3 and all the skiing around thunder has been phenomenal.

Andrew was also headed up the tram this morning for some ski acting, so will get the low down

Quote Originally Posted by baby bear View Post
    I took the bus from stilson for the first time ever this past week- so yea I think it's going to be much busier with $10 parking now at the ranch lot.
    Tower 3 and all the skiing around thunder has been phenomenal.
    Damn it! A friend of ours who used to live near us (past the Aspens towards the vill) said they used to be able to get free parking passes to the village since they're past the last stop. Called yesterday and that's no longer. Will they still be doing the free carpool deal? If so we'll be making sweeps through the Aspen and abducting bystanders so we don't have to drive all the way to stilson even though the driveway's about a mile and a half from the villl...

...they took eeer JEEEEERBSSS!!!!!
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

3 in the car park free at ranch still exists

Not sure if anyone else is on Powderwhore's newsletter, but according to this guy, we can all go fuck ourselves while he crushes the Salt River Range. Shit is pretty funny:

Not sure if anyone else is on Powderwhore's newsletter, but according to this guy, we can all go fuck ourselves while he crushes the Salt River Range. Shit is pretty funny:

Dude can't turn and has a bad case of aspbergers
    “I have a responsibility to not be intimidated and bullied by low life losers who abuse what little power is granted to them as ski patrollers.”

Damn it! A friend of ours who used to live near us (past the Aspens towards the vill) said they used to be able to get free parking passes to the village since they're past the last stop. Called yesterday and that's no longer. Will they still be doing the free carpool deal? If so we'll be making sweeps through the Aspen and abducting bystanders so we don't have to drive all the way to stilson even though the driveway's about a mile and a half from the villl...

...they took eeer JEEEEERBSSS!!!!!
    Word on the street is the village association jacked up the parking rate to build two things. A two story parking garage to replace the ranch lot since they are reaching capacity there on busy days, and putting in an elevated shuttle line from the ranch lot to the tram.

Did someone say monorail?
    Live Free or Die

Quote Originally Posted by snoqpass View Post
    Dude can't turn and has a bad case of aspbergers
    Dude actually has a textbook "case" of bipoalrness - EG Manic Depressive. Tough stuff to deal with!

So is he living out of that shack he built?

I gotta say, that is pretty badass if so. Maybe not so good for the mind in his case, but takes the whole live in your truck thread to another level.
    Live Free or Die

That shit is awesome, for so many reasons!

Good skiing south of the pass today. Upside-down but supportive enough to keep you from breaking through. Lots of graupel and in turn not much in the way of a cohesive slab or a propensity to propagate. That said, I stayed away from windy high elevation ridges too. Anybody have some info from above 9K?
    "The idea wasnt for me, that I would be the only one that would ever do this. My idea was that everybody should be doing this. At the time nobody was, but this was something thats too much fun to pass up." -Briggs
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    Wear your climbing harness. Attach a big anodized locker to your belay loop so its in prime position to hit your nuts. Double russian Ti icescrews on your side loops positioned for maximal anal rape when you sit down. Then everyone will know your radness
    More stoke, less shit.

sounds like tram will open tomorrow or the day after. they were deciding in the afternoon today. This base is nice

Opens on Friday per instagram. And I've got the day off.