Page 31 of 36 FirstFirst ... 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 LastLast
    I've spent the past couple of days thinking about the trips and times spent with my good friend Stephen...had to leave work yesterday for a mental health break and go for a surf at the coast. My wife and I are so sad for his sweet wife and two young daughters. Stephen was a great guy, super safe and a lot of fun to be around.

Coincidentally, my brother (Cory Flandro - along with Jeff Rhoads and Collette Evans) did the first descent of that route.

Love ya, amigo! RIP Stephen.

It must have been quite a storm in Wilson. Trees down everywhere. It was pretty windy in town, but nothing special.

My summer boss said ower was out in parts of Wilson for 12 hours.

A few years ago my youngest daughter and I were riding bikes home from the library and got caught in a microburst. It was like a small tornado.

It must have been way worse last night for the Wilsonites.

Quote Originally Posted by skiing-in-jackson View Post
    It must have been quite a storm in Wilson. Trees down everywhere. It was pretty windy in town, but nothing special.

My summer boss said ower was out in parts of Wilson for 12 hours.

A few years ago my youngest daughter and I were riding bikes home from the library and got caught in a microburst. It was like a small tornado.

It must have been way worse last night for the Wilsonites.
    It was insane! Was geting pelted in the face with debris trying to bike home from work last night. Had to take the long way since the power lines were blowing across Fish Creek road and the fire department was closing things down. Had to climb over two downed cottonwoods on the bike path and clear another tree out of the road to get to our place, then watched a loaded dumpster get hurtled across the driveway.
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

Former Managing Editor @ TGR, forever mag.

If anyone has any interest in meeting up with our contributor Paddy O'Connell of Mt. Bohemia fame (http://www.tetongravity.com/story/sk...hemia-rhapsody) to ski off the Tram tomorrow, PM me. that is all...
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

Former Managing Editor @ TGR, forever mag.

Contour Festival roll call...

Single day and late night tickets are now available. See ya at the Garter Fri and Center Sunday!!
    https://www.ticketfly.com/purchase/event/808691

Who's everyone most stoked on seeing?

Depression sucks.. Help support those in the community in need.
    http://climbtheking.org/

Donate under my name [HERE]

Not everyone living in the mountains or Jackson has it all together.. Skiing, riding and biking are the easy parts

Anyone up for a little run on Saturday? http://mtnweekly.com/mountain-lifest...s-this-weekend

Hope to see some of the local "workforce" in attendance tomorrow.. Tuesday 8/4 ... another Housing Meeting this time with the Chamber and Rotary club. I emailed the Land Trust today to see what they plan to do to help. Ironic maybe but all that open space = we are f*cked for workforce housing or any future developments.. yikes

that being said, this is a WORKERS market in Jackson. Tell your boss you want a raise, if they won't pay it check out the paper. or they can just find a J1 to replace you

http://www.jacksonholechamber.com/ev...=Jackson,%20WY

fyi you would have had to rsvp yesterday to attend unless you are a rotary member
    But there may still be spots open
    One of the only places left for development will be S of Town- it's already happening- get your piece while it lasts.

I plan on attending either way even if I have to stand. Limiting this meeting does not seem too smart? Shouldn't we get as many people as possible involved?

S. of town works for me. Love it down here!! Quite, access to Game Creek, Hobacks etc etc..

Looks like today's event is a lunch roundtable /idea lunch vs a public commentary mtg etc. The lunch factor is the limiting factor on #'s. I bet there will be a good overview so you can get up to speed on the issues but this is not going to be a mtg where anything is decided fyi. It sounds like you might have confusion on that.

As previously noted, this is a Chamber of Commerce/Rotary informational luncheon that is geared to the business community. The primary speaker is a private citizen that is not connected to any of our local government or non-profit housing organizations. It is not a meeting of any government leaders. I would encourage all of you that are interested in our community's housing issues to attend the Teton County Housing Authority's board meetings, and provide public comment. The next one is Wednesday, August 19th at 4:00 p.m.

Meeting was interesting, we really need some actual renters and workers to attend next time. As it seemed everyone in attendance was a home owner. Maybe I was just assuming which is never good.

2/3 the crowd seemed to be in favor of a tax of some sort (again .01 would = $20 mil annually) however the other 1/3 which are some powerful old folks ain't buying into it just yet.

I mentioned wanting to find an acre of land and one day build a home around here, ideally down near Hobacks / Bondurant to a guy sitting next to me, only hiccup is said acres are $350,000 and above, so a mortgage of $1500 before I even start building on it.. He laughed and said thats not first time home buyer prices, and went on to say he bought his first acre in Jackson for $5,000

An acre? you seriously need to lower your expectations and then you might find a way to make it work

Also- just an fyi since you appear to be a touch naive in this dept- banks require more of a down payment on a land purchase vs a home/ condo purchase bc land is a riskier loan- not as much collateral as a piece of land with a home on it.\
    Good luck!

major bootlicking happening in teton county it would seem
    Zone Controller

"He wants to be a pro, bro, not some schmuck." - Hugh Conway

"DigitalDeath would kick my ass. He has the reach of a polar bear." - Crass3000

only if you're in town?

Quote Originally Posted by baby bear View Post
    only if you're in town?
    make me a lucrative offer and I will come in and run your entire operation, revenue and savings will skyrocket and we can fuck everyday. Its win-win. I will even ski with you on powder days!
    Zone Controller

so tempting.....but the question is will I want to ski with you on powder days

Quote Originally Posted by baby bear View Post
    so tempting.....but the question is will I want to ski with you on powder days
    thats on you, i was giving you the courtesy. FYI i dont stop for lunch, i only stop to call out posers snaking my lines
    Zone Controller

starting to think this really isn't a "housing" issue after all, this is an opportunity for workers in the area to look at their salaries. If you make $15 an hour working full time at 40 hours a week you can earn around $1,047.

If Los Angeles, San Fran, Seattle, DC are all adopting a $15 minimum wage wouldn't one think that the town that Forbes claims has the highest average income per person (something crazy in the $300,000 annually range) in the United States should consider something like this?

I started working PT as an apprentice this summer at the above mentioned rate. I am willing to suck it up to learn a trade or two. However it amazes me how many hotels want to rely on either the J1's by paying the Federal minimum wage or around $14-15 for people born in the states.

2 of the guys I work with live in Star Valley and commute 120 miles RT daily for $15 an hour.. I don't want to play that game..

Thoughts?

start scamming fools
    Zone Controller

I would put a hundred bucks on Baby Bear whooping digitaldeaths ass in a Jackson Hole powder day ski off.

Quote Originally Posted by media310 View Post
    starting to think this really isn't a "housing" issue after all, this is an opportunity for workers in the area to look at their salaries. If you make $15 an hour working full time at 40 hours a week you can earn around $1,047.

If Los Angeles, San Fran, Seattle, DC are all adopting a $15 minimum wage wouldn't one think that the town that Forbes claims has the highest average income per person (something crazy in the $300,000 annually range) in the United States should consider something like this?

I started working PT as an apprentice this summer at the above mentioned rate. I am willing to suck it up to learn a trade or two. However it amazes me how many hotels want to rely on either the J1's by paying the Federal minimum wage or around $14-15 for people born in the states.

2 of the guys I work with live in Star Valley and commute 120 miles RT daily for $15 an hour.. I don't want to play that game..

Thoughts?
    I am conflicted of making a move back to SLC possibly to return to AltaBird, but I going to ski Jackson like it is my last (if it is) & I ski quite a bit. I am still unsure, but not worried because is LCC is still fun as well.

Housing in Jackson is a bitch now. The rich forcing out the local people. I hate picking between 1A & 1B at times. I know both places equally well.
    Always charging it in honor of Flyin' Ryan Hawks.