Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Smile 2014-15 Crested Butte ski stoke thread

Last year is going to be hard to beat. 2013 began early and with a bang. I still look back in awe at the things we were skiing in October and November last year. 2014-15 is off to a slower start. But, I still have high hopes.

I've been out only twice so far this season. Both were good days out. Here's a little stoke to start off the season:

October 14

Yes, I said, yes!

Didn't ski this, but it looked good!

Not a bad start!

November 5

Went back to the same area as we hit in October. There had been a slide in Jenga chute two days prior during a storm and we wanted to check it out:

We dug a couple different pits and found that the snow had stabilized considerably. Potentially dangerous layers were not highly reactive. BUT, these could transform into deep instabilities later on in the season. Read more of what we found on our report.

After studying the snow, we made sure to milk in some good turns too

More snow on the way this week
    -
    14erskiers.com

"Don't be afraid of the spaces between your dreams and reality. If you can dream it, you can make it so." - Belva Davis

"There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle"--Albert Einstein

It's been good. 4 days of snow, and Crested Butte changed from non-winter to winter in one storm cycle. The backcountry is touchy but good, if you know where to go. Stick to areas that did not have old snow (or much old snow) before the last storm cycle.

Yes, I'd say Winter has Officially Arrived
    -
    14erskiers.com

"Don't be afraid of the spaces between your dreams and reality. If you can dream it, you can make it so." - Belva Davis

"There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle"--Albert Einstein

Had A LOT of good days out last week! I haven't been able to get all of our pics up yet, but here's a few:

See more pics here or here.
    -
    14erskiers.com

This thread needs some more stoke. Personally, I'm loving this high pressure but low avie danger thing we've got going right now. Schuylkill:

A little more stoke

-
    14erskiers.com

Had a really fun day last week when we were still under the high pressure- low danger cycle. The new snow is nice, but I kind of miss being able to ski bigger alpine lines. We skied Richmond via a couple different routes, and one of my favorites, Hancock.

Awesome! Thanks for posting up some actual stoke, I mean I love the how to pick up cute skier girls threads but it's nice to see people are actually skiing. We sure aren't skiing here in Flag unless you are a fan of the manmade.

I freaking love the Butte.

Glad you enjoyed it Raising Arizona! Conditions have been pretty good here! No complaints
    -
    14erskiers.com

I love STOKE keep it comin good work
    MARK S

"But how many avalanches are killed by people each year, probably thousands, so if a few people are killed by avalanches, the universe evens out".

I've decided you're a bad ass. Just when I think I'm having a good BC year I open your thread and see that not only have I been skiing short kiddy runs but I can't even manage to get any good pics of it.

What's a typical day for you in terms of vert?

Quote Originally Posted by GPP33 View Post
    What's a typical day for you in terms of vert?
    This time of year goldenboy and I don't tend to go for long tours that much. A typical day would be somewhere between 2,000 to 4,000 vert - pretty short. This is especially the case when I have to be at work at 3 or so and don't have a full day off. But, in the spring (or in high pressure like we had a week ago) we bump it up a lot more. Goldenboy's Richmond/Hancock day was over 6000' vert. Sad to have to miss that one!
    -
    14erskiers.com

How's the snowpack looking? I'll be out there Thurs-Sun.

Quote Originally Posted by SkeezeBall View Post
    How's the snowpack looking? I'll be out there Thurs-Sun.
    Also interested to know how things are going down there. Thinking about heading y'all's way.

Well, gb & I haven't been able to get into the backcountry since Dec 24th (it IS the busiest time for working afterall). But, the snowpack is definitely touchy. It's basically been dumping a whole lot since mid-December. A very experienced local skier was caught in an avalanche almost two weeks ago that resulted in a heli evac (incident report). A big natural happened off of Owen a few days later - which should have been very predicted given the condition of our snowpack especially in that area this season. Nothing big has happened since that I know of. I deeper instabilities are being bridged by the mid-pack which is now much fresher. We will have more than just a day or two break from this most recent storm, which hasn't happened in a few weeks. So, I suspect that we'll find out more about the state of the snowpack as more people venture out during this high pressure.

For the ski resort, things are shaping up nicely. They are bombing the Front Side a lot it seems, so we are wondering if they'll be opening some of that terrain soon. West Wall & Horseshoe are open. Other steeps are looking pretty good but will be quite rocky shortly after they open it. I have a feeling that ski patrol may be waiting for holiday crowds to wane before opening some of the steeps.
    Last edited by mtnbikerskierchick; 12-29-2014 at 09:58 PM.
    -
    14erskiers.com

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbikerskierchick View Post
    Well, gb & I haven't been able to get into the backcountry since Dec 24th (it IS the busiest time for working afterall). But, the snowpack is definitely touchy. It's basically been dumping a whole lot since mid-December. A very experienced local skier was caught in an avalanche almost two weeks ago that resulted in a heli evac (incident report). A big natural happened off of Owen a few days later - which should have been very predicted given the condition of our snowpack especially in that area this season. Nothing big has happened since that I know of. I deeper instabilities are being bridged by the mid-pack which is now much fresher. We will have more than just a day or two break from this most recent storm, which hasn't happened in a few weeks. So, I suspect that we'll find out more about the state of the snowpack as more people venture out during this high pressure.

For the ski resort, things are shaping up nicely. They are bombing the Front Side a lot it seems, so we are wondering if they'll be opening some of that terrain soon. West Wall & Horseshoe are open. Other steeps are looking pretty good but will be quite rocky shortly after they open it. I have a feeling that ski patrol may be waiting for holiday crowds to wane before opening some of the steeps.
    Thanks for the beta. I read about the skier caught and conditions at CAIC but it's good to hear from a local who's out there. I didn't know about cbavalanche.org either. Thanks, good stuff!

Thanks MBSC! I miss you guys and hopefully will see you before too long!

Hope you enjoy your time here Skeezball. Give us a shout - maybe we can meet up for a beer or something.

Mike - definitely let us know when you're coming. Miss having you around these parts!
    -
    14erskiers.com

Love the thread. I am relatively new getting involved in the Backcountry. I have spent some days back in Lake Irwin with the Cat guides and one day in Telluride with Telluride Helitrax. Both were incredible experiences. I want to get started more in the backcountry around CB. I know I need to take my avi 1 courses and such. I am only in Crested Butte about 20 days to ski a year but will be moving to Colorado in 2 years when I graduate college. I would love any insights or tips in starting to explore the backcountry. I've got my skins, a/t set up and everything. I am also looking for some people to possibly go ski with. Hell, we all know that I can learn the same amount if not more from the locals here than any avi 1 course or other training courses.

^^^ while you are not wrong that you can learn as much from locals as you can in a L1, the huge and irreplaceable advantage of taking the L1 is the structured curriculum that presents material in a logical, easily understandable way, and ensures that the instructor doesn't skip anything.

Don't be a cheapskate and skip the L1. Mentorship and structured avalanche education are equally important.

What's the scoop in bounds? I'll be there for better or worse Fri-Sun. Looks like none of the [cough]extreme![/cough]terrain has been open yet?

Afraid not. They're blaming the Christmas wind event for loading some areas and stripping others. West wall and Horseshoe are fun in a techy kind of way, though.

How is the backcountry in spring in this area? Lots of options?

I usually spend that time in the Eastern Sierra, but I'm seriously worried that we're gonna get screwed for the fourth year in a row and am exploring options. (I've got a potential work thing in Boulder in April that I could use as a springboard.)

I'll be passing through Feb 4 I think. Is the Old Town decent?
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    I'll be passing through Feb 4 I think. Is the Old Town decent?
    I haven't stayed at the Old Town but have heard it's fine. I've stayed at the Christiana Guesthaus a few times at the same kind of pricepoint. I know the owners' daughter and have chatted with the owners a bit, they are really nice folks and do a nice job with their continental breakfast. Rooms/amenities are nothing fancy but nice enough. Hot tub and easy walk to bus stop to the mountain.

Cristiana is great for the money, Old Town takes dogs and is just fine.