Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by goldenboy View Post
    You can nordic ski out one of the valleys, obviously more ideal for classic than skate. Brush and Gothic would be good ones. I think a few of the nordic trails are free as well,

How non-active? dog sledding? snowshoeing? walk around town, hit the museum and some shops? cooking classes? art classes? That's all I got.
    A little pricy...but my wife should dig this for her birthday present when we're there in 2 weeks.

http://www.skicb.com/things-to-do/wi...ing-Experience
    Offered in conjunction with Prinoth®, participants learn the basics of driving snowcats, grooming, pushing snow, and experience operating the machines that make Colorado’s Best Corduroy™ on closed course with an instructor from Crested Butte’s top grooming team. The Snowcat Driving Experience is one-on-one instruction in a fully-functional 400 h.p. Prinoth® Bison Snowcat. Participants learn the basics of driving snowcats, grooming, pushing snow, and experience one of the best ski resort jobs on a closed course. The school incorporates initial classroom time for safety and operational instruction then students get out on the course to maximize the driving time.

“We take everyone on a ‘full tour’ of the machine,” says Chris Corliss, CBMR’s Mountain Operations Manager. “We do a complete walk around, discuss the parts and functions, then get going with live drive time. It’s a totally different experience and a ton of fun, too. Our instructors are the real folks on the mountain doing real work, so it’s not a watered-down version for people who do this.”

The Snowcat Driving Experience is one-on-one instruction in a fully-functional Prinoth 275 Snow Cat as used in Crested Butte’s grooming operations. Classes will run twice daily at 10 a.m. and 2 p.m. six days a week (Monday through Saturday) for the ski season. Group bookings are available by request.

Cost for the program is $199 and includes transportation from the Lodge at Mountaineer Square, some classroom time, and an hour of actual snow cat drive time. Family and friends are welcome to observe from our on-site tent (please mention at time of booking). Drivers must have a valid drivers’ license and be over 18 years old.

Looks like I'll be there Saturday and Sunday.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Looks like I'll be there Saturday and Sunday.
    Sorry we won't be, but have fun!

Heading down from the barren Cascades for the weekend! Should I be worried about the road from Gunnison closing if it's dumping?

Quote Originally Posted by MountainRider View Post
    Heading down from the barren Cascades for the weekend! Should I be worried about the road from Gunnison closing if it's dumping?
    Nope easy drive from Gunny...but Montrose to Gunny can get...exciting

New terrain opening this weekend. Its a decent hike out, but I was in there today and it was pretty good. Thin, but sick views and good soft (punchy) snow. More snow on the way as well. Shaping up to be a really good weekend!

First CB trip this weekend. Hoping you all pick up a few more inches before we get down there. I'll be skiing with a couple of buddies who all ski 30-40 days a year at Luv/Copper/WP. Maybe some locals could entertain a couple of questions....

- Where can we buy a copy of the Extreme Limits guidebook in town? We'll probably stay out of most of the North Face on day 1 as we get our bearings and can pick up this guide.
    - From the trail map it appears it is 3 lifts (East River - Paradise - North face) to do a lap on the North Face? And 2 to lap the headwall (Twister to High Lift)? Is this correct? Smart ways to avoid riding lifts all day?
    - Where do the crowds stack up that we should avoid?
    - Can you duck the rope after Banana exit -- the place we're staying is right under there. Or is this liable to get passes yanked?
    - Avy gear: carry it in bounds or leave it at home?

Depends on how much snow, if you'll want to hit North Face first day, Answer is probably you will, CB isn't that big, and if not a big snow, stuff will get tracked out pretty fast.

Can do a fair amount of the NF and still get back to the Paradise lift, so only that lift and the T-bar for that.

Only crowds ever is the T-bar, and by 70 standards you'll think it's a cakewalk.

Sadly the Twister lift is dead, but you should hit the Ice bar for a drink.

Banana and Peel side is fun, but look it over on the lift up to figure out where you need to rock and roll to get out of the flats at the bottom. Don't know on the rope duck? I've probably ducked before, but we weren't going very far south of the lifts.

1. any ski shop should have it, plus they have the relevant pages posted at the top of the North Face and High lifts

2. Correct, except it is Silver Queen to High Lift, Twister is almost never open and comes up short of the High Lift. No way around it, but you get plenty of skiing in.

3. Lift lines at the T bars shouldn't be too bad, though the locals will be out in force if we get more snow. Still, expect maybe 2-5 min in each line tops.

4. No. Do not duck any ropes anywhere. They hate that. Take the traverse back towards the top of Westwall lift, then there is a homeowners access gate to get back to the places on Overlook and Summit.

5. Don't bother. If we get pounded carry your beacon so you can get to the front of the line for a rope drop.

Super helpful , thanks all. great to know about the access gate. We'll make sure not to gape up y'alls mountain too much.

Don't think we ever posted photos from a day that Brittany had on Red Lady above the clouds last month. Wish I had gone with.

Gorgeous. Love inversions.

And one last question: in NF, are there mandatory airs in the area that is currently open (ie before the 2nd and 3rd access gates)?

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    And one last question: in NF, are there mandatory airs in the area that is currently open (ie before the 2nd and 3rd access gates)?
    Cesspool and Little Hourglass are pretty gnarly right now if you don't know what you're getting into. Ski Sock it to me first, take a look back up the hill and decide if you're down with the other two.

Huge thanks to the whole Crested Butte community, especially Goldenboy and Mtnbikerskierchick for an awesome month. We were lucky enough to finally be ski bums and even though it started out dry, the month was awesome. We can't wait to go back, especially as conditions are currently awesome after some good snow last week.

Ms. Telechuck made a one second per day video of our trip. It is a cool app, but needs some help.

Hmm, I am a total video jong. Here is a link while I troubleshoot https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v...52&pnref=story

Complete CB JONG coming down Sat-Sun. How’s coverage after the recent storms in the expert terrain? What’s some of the “easier” lines that we should start with in there?

Good bird's eye view of some of the new terrain at CB:

http://www.westelkproject.com/teo-two-drone-edit/

[QUOTE=goldengatestinx;4428150]A little pricy...but my wife should dig this for her birthday present when we're there in 2 weeks.

[url]http://www.skicb.com/things

If driving a 350 HP $300,000 machines gives you a woody (or the female equivalent)...make sure to check this out if you have time and some cash. I surprised my wife with this as a late birthday present. She was picked up and driven to the location...met the grooming manager of CB, had a quick walk around the machine and climbed into the Prinoth (the high end version used to build and maintain the parks). As she's riding he's giving her instruction on the controls, etc...and says when you're driving do this and this...she thought she was there only for a ride.

When we drove over to watch she was in the drivers seat running the machine. I took some pics and video of her driving...then the guy waves me over to climb in. After a few minutes he asks if I want to drive. F'n a right I do! And my wife was nice enough to give up some of her driver's seat time. Considering the cost of 2 hrs of this guy's time, our driving for 90 minutes, probably 70 gallons of diesel and machine time in general, $200 is well worth the cost if you might be into it

looks like I'll be in CB on sun or monday. goldenboy said he can tour me around. See you guys soon

Nice experience, awesome photos and I've read some information about skiing. Thanks for sharing

Quote Originally Posted by Cold_Smokin' View Post
    Complete CB JONG coming down Sat-Sun. How’s coverage after the recent storms in the expert terrain? What’s some of the “easier” lines that we should start with in there?
    Ski down the "halfpipe" gully then traverse into headwall. That should get you an idea of that area. On the North Face, the glades are pretty straight forward. If it's warm, ski the frontside in the afternoon, but banana is pretty trashed with avy debris.

Ski down the "halfpipe" gully then traverse into headwall. That should get you an idea of that area. On the North Face, the glades are pretty straight forward. If it's warm, ski the frontside in the afternoon, but banana is pretty trashed with avy debris.
    Thanks GB- lookin' forward to getting down there.

The running joke has been how much I dislike Teocalli Bowl. We just have so much better stuff to ski, IMO.

As mediocre as this season has been, the one bright spot might be that we got to taste new terrain, Teocalli 2 bowl. Unlike Teo, I'm totally down with Teo2. More pics here.

And since this thread could use even more stoke, we got some nice photos when ^^^ was visiting at the start of the last storm cycle. More and more, it looks like that week was basically the only week of winter we're getting this season. Oh well. More pics here.

Glad to hear your review on teo 2. I've never been overly stoked on teo myself. Stoked to check it out tomorrow!