Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by AKbruin View Post
    How is the backcountry in spring in this area? Lots of options?

I usually spend that time in the Eastern Sierra, but I'm seriously worried that we're gonna get screwed for the fourth year in a row and am exploring options. (I've got a potential work thing in Boulder in April that I could use as a springboard.)
    I'm no CB expert, but there are definitely a ton of options. April is a tough time to predict. We won't necessarily be in "spring snowpack" yet, but could be. Also, in CB I believe access to many lines could be difficult without a sled and before the roads open. Still, you can usually do a lot worse than Colorado in April.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    I'm no CB expert, but there are definitely a ton of options. April is a tough time to predict. We won't necessarily be in "spring snowpack" yet, but could be. Also, in CB I believe access to many lines could be difficult without a sled and before the roads open. Still, you can usually do a lot worse than Colorado in April.
    Thanks, Danno.

Quote Originally Posted by AKbruin View Post
    How is the backcountry in spring in this area? Lots of options?

I usually spend that time in the Eastern Sierra, but I'm seriously worried that we're gonna get screwed for the fourth year in a row and am exploring options. (I've got a potential work thing in Boulder in April that I could use as a springboard.)
    April is my favorite month to ski here. Usually I'm feeling pretty good about things, and skiing either steep corn or pow. As Danno mentioned, you'll want a snowmobile to have the most options, or at least rent one for a day or two. An Elks/San Juans springtime roadtrip is definitely worthy.

Quote Originally Posted by goldenboy View Post
    April is my favorite month to ski here. Usually I'm feeling pretty good about things, and skiing either steep corn or pow. As Danno mentioned, you'll want a snowmobile to have the most options, or at least rent one for a day or two. An Elks/San Juans springtime roadtrip is definitely worthy.
    Thanks, goldenboy. The sled rental issue is probably a deal breaker as it looks like it costs $300+ a day to rent. It's possible that I could bring a sled from Tahoe though.

Some additional terrain opening at the resort today but may only last a couple days depending on how hammered it gets, and how well entrances/exits hold up.

This thread could use a little stoke, despite the lack of recent snow. Somehow, the skiing is holding up OK. More photos here.

Incoming! Landing @ Elk Mtn Lodge around 6:00.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Ms. Telechuck and I are here all month, hope to ski with the local maggots. Even with the limited terrain and unfortunate mechanical on the North Face Tbar, we have had tons of fun and found some fun terrain.

TBar isn't working?
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Danno ski teo bowl then do the hike up to the right instead of skiing down to the tbar, easiest way to get big laps in what terrain is open right now.

Have some days on my pass to burn down there. Watching the weather and this thread closely...thinking hopefully a few more weeks gets more steeps open. Giggity! Been too long.

Looking to go on a road trip somewhere this coming weekend, and have 3 tickets to burn at CB. I haven't been to CB in ages and miss it. I know that it's a low snow year, heck it's not going to be "good" anywhere we might drive to, but how are things there?

What's open? How bony? I've never been bc skiing there, anything accessible and fun for a fat/slow guy?

Other options are Steamboat (also have tix there) or??? Heck, maybe even ridign bikes in Moab. Just know I need to get out somewhere!

While riding bikes in Fruita is not a bad idea, there is still some fun skiing here in CB. Headwall (including the Headwall Glades), and the Northface stuff is open. The west side things are open later in the morning after the refreeze loosens. One can definitely have fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Looking to go on a road trip somewhere this coming weekend, and have 3 tickets to burn at CB.
    Doublecheck your blackout dates - this weekend is blacked out for me for my 3 tickets on my LL pass.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    Doublecheck your blackout dates - this weekend is blacked out for me for my 3 tickets on my LL pass.
    unrestricted for RMSP+ holders, as far as I can see.

Danno, the skiing is pretty fun, IMO. Definitely more fun than riding a bike. Is it bony? Yes, that's what keeps it interesting.

As for easy bc, Coney's is pretty easy out Wash Gulch, if it stays warm Red Lady will be corn, and there's always Schuylkill ridge, though that's a bit of a tougher day.

Thanks to MtnBikerSkierChic for the tour in that wee dusting of pow.

North face ran long enough for us to get a sample to cleanse out the Banana aftertaste and the grit from the Headwall.

Neat hill, very Alpentalesque.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by goldenboy View Post
    Danno, the skiing is pretty fun, IMO. Definitely more fun than riding a bike. Is it bony? Yes, that's what keeps it interesting.

As for easy bc, Coney's is pretty easy out Wash Gulch, if it stays warm Red Lady will be corn, and there's always Schuylkill ridge, though that's a bit of a tougher day.
    The answer to "is it bony?" in CB is always yes

Also, did goldenboy just recommend Coneys? What's next, an expose on the virtues of Teo Bowl?

Also, did goldenboy just recommend Coneys? What's next, an expose on the virtues of Teo Bowl?
    Yes, yes I did Not my favorite, but it still sounded like something that might fit what Danno was looking for.

Buster, nice seeing you again and having a beer, even if I couldn't ski with you. Come back again some time!

That's why I asked "how bony".

Coming down this weekend for a family trip. Got $98 two-day passes from Costco. 2 days in the resort, 1 day nordic skiing (ladyfriend's choice).

We nordic skied last year, $18/person seems expensive for use of a trail. Any hookup or alternatives?

My Mom isn't a skier anymore: recommendations for fun, non-active, things in CB?

Quote Originally Posted by Tips^Up View Post
    Coming down this weekend for a family trip. Got $98 two-day passes from Costco. 2 days in the resort, 1 day nordic skiing (ladyfriend's choice).

We nordic skied last year, $18/person seems expensive for use of a trail. Any hookup or alternatives?

My Mom isn't a skier anymore: recommendations for fun, non-active, things in CB?
    You can nordic ski out one of the valleys, obviously more ideal for classic than skate. Brush and Gothic would be good ones. I think a few of the nordic trails are free as well,

How non-active? dog sledding? snowshoeing? walk around town, hit the museum and some shops? cooking classes? art classes? That's all I got.

Don't think we ever posted photos from a day that Brittany had on Red Lady above the clouds last month. Wish I had gone with.