Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Crested Butte to add 40 acres of Extreme Terrain this Season

http://mtnweekly.com/sports/snowboar...me-ski-terrain

CBMR has plans to open up 40 acres of additional extreme ski terrain this season if mother nature allows.. Surely some locals and maggots can attest to how amazing that zone will be with the right conditions, Leward slope is sure to push the snow in.

Thoughts on this expansion? Should more resorts be pushing deeper, further, higher

Surprised people haven't started bitching about the resort taking the backcountry away yet...

Quote Originally Posted by angrysasquatch View Post
    Surprised people haven't started bitching about the resort taking the backcountry away yet...
    I have been wondering about this as well. I for one would rather have more access to this type of terrain. It wasn't long ago that resorts were scared to open up backcountry style lines and their gates. Now some resorts really seem to embrace it.

I did live in Beaver Creek when they opened up Stone Creek for the first time to the public, sure some locals bitched that their private pillow land was now hacked. Well guess what there is still plenty of untracked terrain to be found even at the Beav.

Is this something that was previously easily accessed from the resort or from outside the resort? If not, no reason to be mad. If it were a long time local stash then bitch away, they'll do what they want and the haters will fade away with time.

whoa that trail map looks DOPE
    Zone Controller

"He wants to be a pro, bro, not some schmuck." - Hugh Conway

"DigitalDeath would kick my ass. He has the reach of a polar bear." - Crass3000

Not 100% sure here, but I believe CB has closed boundaries. No gates, no legal BC access. Not sure if this zone got skied by ducking ropes. Only time I've heard of folks skiing it was after the resort closed. I also don't think there is easy access to it other than ducking the rope.

Quote Originally Posted by digitaldeath View Post
    whoa that trail map looks DOPE
    You haven't been there? It is easily the best in-bounds skiing of any resort in Colorado. The lift system set up isn't ideal but the terrain is nuts.

The resort has a closed boundary policy and this area isn't much compared to everything else surrounding that valley. I doubt any of the locals really care. Golden Boy would be the person to ask tho.

Whoa! EXTREME terrain! PERFECT - I'm an EXTREME skier with all the gnar points!
    "...if you're not doing a double flip cork something, skiing spines in Haines, or doing double flip cork somethings off spines in Haines, you're pretty much just gaping."

An awesome zone to add and no, its not exactly easy access BC terrain so no detriment in it being added inbounds!

Crested Butte to add 40 acres of Extreme Terrain this Season

Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    An awesome zone to add and no, its not exactly easy access BC terrain so no detriment in it being added inbounds!
    Yeah, looks like a really long hike out of there...

CB is amazing. I haven't been to Telluride since they added those Gold Hill Chutes and Palmyra Peak, but I'd think those would give CB a run for best inbounds?

Don't forget ABasin has dizzying Molly Hogan Bowl...

Quote Originally Posted by RaisingArizona View Post
    You haven't been there? It is easily the best in-bounds skiing of any resort in Colorado. The lift system set up isn't ideal but the terrain is nuts.

The resort has a closed boundary policy and this area isn't much compared to everything else surrounding that valley. I doubt any of the locals really care. Golden Boy would be the person to ask tho.
    is it better than telluride?
    Zone Controller

Quote Originally Posted by digitaldeath View Post
    is it better than telluride?
    As far as terrain that doesn't require a hike I would say it's the best in Colorado. Most of the north face stuff is a bit of a side step if I remember correctly but it's not much. If you are looking at hike to terrain and side country then Telluride might be better. I would say that Telluride is the best for side country skiing in the state but I haven't been everywhere.

The Butte's terrain is rowdy billy goat steep shit, Telluride has more of the alpine San Juan stuff. If you like the really techie steep stuff it's hard to beat the Butte.

im there! billy goats are my favorite
    Zone Controller

I think him and the pink pants one (mtberskierchick) are too busy gettin busy to post here any more. I miss their TRs.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Hopefully they have a snowpack like last year. Was my first experience then and the force is strong with CB for me. Definitely heading back.
    Live Free or Die

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    Hopefully they have a snowpack like last year. Was my first experience then and the force is strong with CB for me. Definitely heading back.
    It's on my top 5 list for sure. Terrain + town = Awesomeness.

I think him and the pink pants one (mtberskierchick) are too busy gettin busy to post here any more. I miss their TRs.
    Good for him. The winters are cold, long and there aren't many females there!

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    Yeah, looks like a really long hike out of there...

CB is amazing. I haven't been to Telluride since they added those Gold Hill Chutes and Palmyra Peak, but I'd think those would give CB a run for best inbounds?

Don't forget ABasin has dizzying Molly Hogan Bowl...
    The Palmyra stuff is incredible. I haven't been there since it has been included as resort terrain but when I spent the winter there in 2006 I did poach it a few times. I would go out the gate off Gold Hill and then sneak around the back into that basin behind Palmyra then boot pack up to the summit.

I also got to sample some of the stuff in Bear Creek but I barely scratched the surface. I wish I skied around the Nelly Mine zone. I looked at it a couple of times but I never got in there. It looked so rad.

Its cool. They've been talking about it for a while. It has some good steep pillow lines, which are kinda ESE so the window might be kinda short. It's only about a 10 minute hike back out, but accessing this zone via skins would take 2-3 hours. Glad to see it finally happening!

I did ski it once after the resort closed, and the snow was really good then.

Damn, we're still around. We just post on 14erskiers.com more than here.

Teo 2 is cool, better terrain than Teo IMO. As others have said, CB has a totally closed boundary and , and Teo 2 is be a highly visible poach with a hike to get back inbounds, so no one's mad. Like gone skiing, I've only skied it post season. The real plan for CBMR is to add some intermediate terrain in the same vicinity- which will be a nice little zone for the tourists. Wish we'd get a gate so we could drop a car at the Brush Creek trailhead and ski some of the terrain that direction, there is some really good stuff back there.

The Palmyra stuff is incredible. I haven't been there since it has been included as resort terrain but when I spent the winter there in 2006 I did poach it a few times. I would go out the gate off Gold Hill and then sneak around the back into that basin behind Palmyra then boot pack up to the summit.

I also got to sample some of the stuff in Bear Creek but I barely scratched the surface. I wish I skied around the Nelly Mine zone. I looked at it a couple of times but I never got in there. It looked so rad.
    The pics I've seen of the terrain off the summit look so amazing - similar to Silverton. I really need to get back down there...but with CB being closer to Denver, I like going there. Hopefully this year will be like the last there..

Quote Originally Posted by goldenboy View Post

Teo 2 is cool, better terrain than Teo IMO. As others have said, CB has a totally closed boundary and , and Teo 2 is be a highly visible poach with a hike to get back inbounds, so no one's mad. Like gone skiing, I've only skied it post season. The real plan for CBMR is to add some intermediate terrain in the same vicinity- which will be a nice little zone for the tourists. Wish we'd get a gate so we could drop a car at the Brush Creek trailhead and ski some of the terrain that direction, there is some really good stuff back there.
    You should push for that. Patrol really has no business caring if you leave the boundaries without re-entry. Seems like it would be next to impossible to catch you unless they saw you on the initial rope duck.
    Drive slow, homie.

Yay gb!
    No longer stuck.

Just an uneducated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by goldenboy View Post
    I'll put a plug in for your blog. One of the only ones I read regularly, you guys post some great stuff.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Z View Post
    You should push for that. Patrol really has no business caring if you leave the boundaries without re-entry. Seems like it would be next to impossible to catch you unless they saw you on the initial rope duck.
    I wish. It would be so fun to head down the Buckhorn and Skyland couloirs during good years, among others. They're so worried about liability, it's complicated terrain and people would get cliffed out regularly. Of course, that happens in Granite all the time, but Jackson seems to deal with it. The other issue is private land... Snodgrass would have had a gate if they developed that.

Danno, thanks