Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by shafty85 View Post
    Perhaps I'm missing something, but why is everyone cutting the tails off their skis?
    Everyone? You exaggerate. Some reasons that a few of us have whacked off tails:
    1. some people like a particular twin tip/long rocker tail ski but have no use for the rear tip, which just gets in the way
    2. much easier kick turns (biggest factor for me)
    3. shorter (lighter) skins
    4. much better picket-style ski-as-anchor
    5. easier to rig A- or H-frame carry on a pack
    6. much better picket-style anchor for 'mid

I ski A lot of steep stuff, including a few times I had to rappel, and I never had to make an anchor by sticking my tails in the snow.

I think this is more "I'm hardcore" fantasy.

And if you really need to make an anchor, then bury the skis, it will make a lot safer anchor.

Quote Originally Posted by rod9301 View Post
    I ski A lot of steep stuff, including a few times I had to rappel, and I never had to make an anchor by sticking my tails in the snow.
    I'm proud of you.

I cut tails off because a drastic twin tip can cause edge disengagement in soft snow conditions. When you set an edge in a deep carve, the twin tip on something like a square tail gotama or moment ski (or any real twin for that matter) will cause a drag force that acts nearly directly away from the center of your turning circle, or nearly perpendicular to the desired path of travel. This results in a drifting out sliding scrub instead of a hard edge set.

Additionally, kick turns, skin attachment, decreased tail floatation in deep snow, easier ski carry, using your skis to cut a rutschblock column or ski shear test column.

very nice job SJ . that will be the ultimate bc play/charge setup. protest = best ski ever. same width as split boarder basically. add some ski crampons to the pack. I really want to do this to a 187 protest now. maybe a carbon layup with CAST or ul with dynafits. I ,like you, find too much tail on the switchbacks sometimes troublesome and that much easier to punch the tail clip off, especially with the more centred mount. I wacked 4cm off my moment tahoes, mainly because that yr had too much twin tip even though it wasn't a rounded end. it was easier on that ski though because they weren't full edge wrapped. I cut mine with a bandsaw and smoothed any edges with a table mounted sander. I put a skin clip knotch in with a table mounted grinder. took literally seconds to do. bd skin clip is about 1 1/2 widths of the grinder wheel then sanded any corners or edges round so nothing catches. pretty similar to factory topsheet bevel. skied no different . same contact and still pivoted just no goofy jacked tail

Thanks grinch... that's exactly what I suspected and am happy to hear.
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

I ski A lot of steep stuff
    If you attempt this without hacking at least 7cm off your tails, you will most likely die someday - though prob not skiing.
    Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Natures peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn. - John Muir

"How long can it last? For fuck sake this isn't heroin -
    suck it up princess" - XXX on getting off mj

“This is infinity here,” he said. “It could be infinity. We don’t really don’t know. But it could be. It has to be something — but it could be infinity, right?” - Trump, on the vastness of space, man

Quote Originally Posted by hhtele View Post
    BTW- interesting laminate on the tail of the Rossis- anybody know what it is?
    Dust. Those rossis are made of dust.

Stupid big twin tip tails can suck in powder.
    And also, someone deleted the thread where I suggested that a lot of Rossis are either old man skis or balls out rippers, and not much middle ground. So, yeah, dust, lol.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Getting ready to go 188 to 180 - have grinder cut off wheels and the g flex to seal the tail. There is not much to the top sheet on these bd's -

Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Natures peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn. - John Muir

“This is infinity here,” he said. “It could be infinity. We don’t really don’t know. But it could be. It has to be something — but it could be infinity, right?” - Trump, on the vastness of space, man

Anchors are not just for rapping, ya know
    Last edited by Big Steve; 11-16-2014 at 09:42 AM.

How many cm's did you cut off the V8s? Got an image? Thx

Quote Originally Posted by Big Steve View Post
    Grinding in a skin tail notch with a bench grinder is a < 1 minute job. Clean up with a hand file.

I've whacked the tails off 4 pairs of skis, no delams.

You can whack off most of the tail and then grind a radius, resulting in a rounded tail w/ mild rocker a la Bonafide. That's how I've done it, most recently with Voile V8s.
    Best regards, Terry
    (Direct Contact is best vs PMs)

SlideWright.com
    Ski, Snowboard & Tools, Wax and Wares
    Repair, Waxing, Tuning, Mounting Tips & more
    Add TGR handle to notes & paste 5% TGR Discount code during checkout: 1121TGR

About what NoPostholio is gonna whack off those BDs

Bought some 130mm skins for the Protests today and cut them to fit...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20141119_205633_resized.jpg 
Views:	183 
Size:	1.05 MB 
ID:	160606

... and this is how much skin I actually removed...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20141119_205644_resized.jpg 
Views:	188 
Size:	1.19 MB 
ID:	160607

Bring the snow before my 5 day touring drip in two weeks!

Shorty / big Steve - would it make sense that new boot center mark would be approx half the distance of what was cut off, towards the tail. After cutting off approx 7 cm the ski is now of similar length to a few other pairs I own. When placing them side by side, the boot center on the other skis seems to align on the newly cut ski about 1/2 the cut distance back from factory mark. It won't be huge deal since I am prob going to put onyx's on them (range of adj for toe) just curious how you determined new mount.

I don't see any cause to change the mount. The sidecut profile and apex are not changed by whacking the tail rearward of where it starts to upturn.

True on firm, it wil change a bit in powder

Quote Originally Posted by Big Steve View Post
    I don't see any cause to change the mount. The sidecut profile and apex are not changed by whacking the tail rearward of where it starts to upturn.
    That makes sense - thanks
    The epoxy mentioned earlier in the thread worked great on the cut end.

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty_J View Post
    Yeah, I could do the notch and that would be enough for the skins.

It's not the weight I'm trying to re-balance, it's how far I have to step to get the tail of the stepping ski past my planted ski... which is a long way with more centre-mounted skis and I have short little legs. Basically the planted leg is a tangent and the stepping leg is a radius... and now the radius is smaller so my foot doesn't have to be as far from my planted leg.

I mounted boot centre at about +0.5cm of the dimple because that's where I could fit new holes in best. I'm going to go downstairs and measure the relative location of the pins on the dynafits mounted on there...

Pins are 87cm from the tip, 95cm from the tail, and the centre of balance of the ski is about 5-6cm behind the pins. So more weight is behind the pivot and I won't have the problem you are describing.

You need to learn how to kick turn.

The boot if the ski youre turning should stay very close to the other boot, then pivot it around the stationary boot.

The length of he tail doesn't make any difference.

Cutting this off will def help kick turns. 188cm to 180 cm and 8lbs (139/116/125)

Sealed up ends with gflex
    Last edited by NoPostholio; 11-23-2014 at 08:54 PM.

You need to learn how to kick turn.

The boot if the ski youre turning should stay very close to the other boot, then pivot it around the stationary boot.

The length of he tail doesn't make any difference.
    And you need to fuck off and stop cunting up my thread with shit nobody cares about or agrees with.

I'll kick turn how I want and I'll cut the tails of my skis if I want.

Move along...

Moar cutting skis stoke
    188 justice to a 180
    Just under 8lb pair

This is good stuff. Short guy thread I think.
    Zone Controller

"He wants to be a pro, bro, not some schmuck." - Hugh Conway

"DigitalDeath would kick my ass. He has the reach of a polar bear." - Crass3000

Quote Originally Posted by digitaldeath View Post
    This is good stuff. Short guy thread I think.
    Indeed... as my sign-in name will attest.

Skis get their maiden voyage this weekend on a 5 day hut trip and I will report back.

Ah nice to see some skis being cut, I want to cut off the twintip part of my Moment Tahoes. Luke from Moment told me I should see on the sidewall where the tail spacers are and where the core begins, but it is all black around and I cant see a difference in material or anything. Think I'll just go for it and seal.
    Would you guys advice to cut at the flat part or keep the beginning of the turned up part of the tails, just to keep moving backwards possible?
    Oh and I want to cut to twintip part because its impossible to push the tails in the snow and that sucks when I want to get into my tech bindings on top of a line..

I leave some tail rise