Questions re: Caye Caulker Belize fishing

I'm headed to Caye Caulker, Belize, in a few weeks with the lady friend. The main motivations are chilling out and snorkeling. But clearly there are those in the world (and on this forum, I expect) who'd argue that I'd be a damn fool to go to such a place and not fish. I'm thinking about doing a day, or part day excursion to experience salt water joy (never done such a thing). And/or just dinking around from land/docks. Does anyone have experience with fishing from Caye Caulker?

I'm under the impression that locals fish extensively from docks and the split etc, pretty much entirely with spin gear, and 100% for fish to eat. I figure I could bring my 6-wt fly rod (heftier than your average 6…, and of course I've got in mind the need for different line/reel) and chuck some stuff and see what happens though I'm not necessarily looking to catch dinner. Or same idea, but with a spin rod. Or I could get more serious and hire a guide for a day or part day, which would probably be awesome but might require buying or borrowing a proper salt-water fly rod to bring along. (Friends have offered loaner rods, but is it realistic to think that a guide might have a decent flyrod I could use?) I'm not sure I feel like carrying around spendy fishing gear for a trip that's mostly not a fishing trip. But I figure if I'm going the guide route, it'd for sure be for fly fishing. I'd appreciate any recommendations on any of this -- options, necessary gear, etc.

Also, does anyone have any fly fishing guide recommendations on Caulker?

I've searched pretty thoroughly and not found answers to my questions, though plenty of info that has built my stoke to almost unbearable levels, so am hopeful that this isn't redundant.

Thanks!

I dont know jack about this place but I am checking it out now. I would say that unless a full day of fishing was going to prevent you getting some from your travel companion you should go full over half. How long are you going to be there for. I would think that who ever you book you guided trip with will be able to tell you well in advance if they can provide a proper fly setup? Good luck.
    A woman reported to police at 6:30 p.m. that she was being "smart-mouthed."

Drop Wil at the Fly Shop in San Pedro an email. Good source for guides/info on all things Belize.
    http://belizefly.com/

Good stuff, I appreciate the tips and some good info received via PM.

We'll be there 6 nights, so doing a half day or maybe even full day fishing wouldn't cut much into the other activities (does chilling out in a hammock count as an activity?).

2nd Mate, are you there right now? I'm envious.

I don't know how much Belize varies from my limited time fishing salt flats but I know I wouldn't have been able to do anything with a 6wt, even something burly. I fish a BiiiSX 6wt and the thing is a cannon but it wouldn't have been able to fight the wind I experienced in the Bahamas. I'm sure it would have been fun to catch a bonefish on though!

edit: I used an 8wt and did a full day guided and was able to go back out and catch fish on my own after that. Would definitely recommend a guide though because in hindsight I wouldn't have gotten a single take if it wasn't for the guides knowledge that first day.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    did ambergis a few years ago ya definately want an 8 if you go guided they got sticks
    4 of us did an all day fishin snorklin and fresh fish beach lunch for 1/2 what a guided day on a flats boat at the el pescador was. Got a nice jack and a bunch of reef fish.
    not sure of caulkers layout but there were bones in the lagoons behind the beach at ambergis
    fuckers mocked me and denied my shit all week
    last night at the bar the tender tells me fuck the earth tones throw bright color
    nailed 3 the final morn
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Just got back from Belize. Was out near North East Caye on Glover's Reef for bonefish and at the mouth of the Sittee River near Hopkins for tarpon. If you're staying anywhere near patch reef, you'll be able to find some bonefish. Tarpon may be more elusive. And I'd only bring that 6wt if you don't care to bring it home. Caught smallish bonefish and even the weakest put the 8wt I fished to the test. Unless you're fishing out of someplace like San Pedro, don't expect to run across a fly shop with top o' the line gear (or any gear at all). I brought my own flies, leader and tippet and fished my guide's rod/reel. Both were old and battered but at least meaty enough for the task. No complaints and will definitely do that trip again.

Sorry, I meant I was "exploring" on the interwebz.
    A woman reported to police at 6:30 p.m. that she was being "smart-mouthed."

Make sure to bring some nuclear grade skeeter repellant. Caulker had some of the most voracious and tenacious Mosquitos I've encountered anywhere

Haven't been there in a long while. But there were plenty of dudes w skiffs and what not to get out on the reef and most had enough random hear you could find something fun to fling about.