Thread: Juki TL-2010q

Juki TL-2010q

Anybody have experience with this sewing machine? I'm looking to get a machine for heavy fabric, webbing, etc. Love my Pfaff Select IDT (walking foot), fantastic for silnylon and other light fabrics, but it's a light duty machine and I'm gonna kill it if I keep using it for HD projects. And, yeah, I know the 2010q is a straight-stitch only machine.

I'm not looking to start a thread about a full-on industrial machine, e.g., Pfaff 545 walking needle/foot machine, which would be great, but I have no more room in my shop for a big industrial machine. and I'm not doing leather. The TL-2010q is portable so I can use the same table as my Pfaff IDT. So I kindly ask that you keep the discussion to portable HD machines -- are there any other than the TL-2010q?

I have significant experience with HD sewing and Juki machines. Just looking at it I can tell you if you are looking to sew 2 layers of 1000d cordura and some nylon webbing with a #20 needle that portable machine will not work out well. Juki machines that can punch hd fabrics will have SH as the last part of the part #. That being said I don't think there are portable machines that can really do what you want, maybe look at a sailright? http://www.sailrite.com/Sailrite-Sewing-Machines#
    Non of these machines will be self oiling which means if you are doing long runs at higher speeds you will kill the hook unless you manually oil it somewhat frequently and monitor the heat buildup during sewing.
    I have only used industrial machines so my knowledge is limited and I have not used any non pro grades to sew heavy fabrics, I wouldnt even try it personally.

Quote Originally Posted by lobstahmeatwad View Post
    Just looking at it . . . .

That being said I don't think there are portable machines that can really do what you want. . . .
    Have you seen a 2010q or just looking at the pics? Sure looks and sews more solid than other machines I've used. Juki markets it as 'tween home machine and industrial machine, and that seems to be confirmed by the lay reviews. Thanks for the info re the serial #.

In terms of "do what [I] want," I've been using portable machines to sew webbing, 1000D cordura, ballistics cloth, etc. for 25 years and gotten away with it quite well. I've spun the hook a couple times and have needed to get my machines timed every couple years, and I'd like to avoid that with a more solid machine. High speed not required. I'm semi-retired, got plenty of time : )

I tried out a Sailrite years ago. The IDT has made me a walking foot fan. Thanks for reminding me; I'll put Sailrite on my short list.

NO, I have not used the machine, I saw some lady quilting with it for the 2 min I searched online.

If you think you can punch that with a portable, awesome, I don't sew like that. Of course I would assume if you need to add any polyethylene, HMWPE or LMWPE plastic to your design that portable could not do it? Probably foam OK.

If you've spun the hook you should be able to time them very easily by yourself.

It all depends on volume so if its just for small projects and not a business thing go with what you know.
    Good luck.

LMW, thanks for steering me to Sailrite. Presently looks like I'll go with a Sailrite machine.