Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: want that drink on the rocks? That'll be a buck extra-

want that drink on the rocks? That'll be a buck extra-

Never saw this one coming...only in DC? link

A Manhattan will set you back $14 at forthcoming downtown restaurant and bar Second State. Want it on the rocks? That will be a dollar more—for a total of $15.

The Pennsylvania-themed spot, which is set to open in the former Mighty Pint space at 1831 M St. NW on Oct. 21, will be the first place in D.C. with an ice surcharge listed on its cocktail menu. (Most bars eat the cost or build it into the price of the drink.) Granted, these are no freezer-burned, generic tray cubes. This is the fancy, unclouded artisanal stuff from D.C.'s boutique ice company, Favourite Ice, founded by local bartenders Owen Thomson and Joseph Ambrose. Second State bartenders will chip off the eight corners for a more spherical shape that sits in the glass like an iceberg.

"It's worth it," says bar manager Phil Clark. "When it goes into a cocktail, it's crystal clear. It's purified water, so there's no minerally taste."
    [some pretty funny comments too]
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

I'd drink my wallet dry there!

Let's go have a few drinks with ice when you return.

There's always a new, usually absurd way to prove how cool one is. Artisinal ice is only worse than some, as bad as others, and not as awful as the worst. Although, at the moment, I'm having a hard time thinking of one worse than "artisanal ice."

If you drink a drink that let's the ice melt yer doing it wrong. That minerally pedestrian ice water comes right thru bourbon, sweet vermouth and a splash of bitters. Must be sewer water in DC.
    Silent....but shredly.

Wtf is a Pennsylvania-themed bar? Are the staff dressed like Amish or attendees of the First Continental Congress?

How much for glacial ice?

One of the cool things about Gordy Camp- Chamonix was Godry bring down a some the mer de glace for cocktails.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

A Hoshizaki plumbed with AquaDeco is where it's at.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamespio View Post
    There's always a new, usually absurd way to prove how cool one is. Artisinal ice is only worse than some, as bad as others, and not as awful as the worst. Although, at the moment, I'm having a hard time thinking of one worse than "artisanal ice."
    oxygen bars are pretty obnoxious.

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    minerals are good for humans.

Why don't you snort some asbestos?
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

Quote Originally Posted by Moeghoul View Post
    If you drink a drink that let's the ice melt yer doing it wrong. That minerally pedestrian ice water comes right thru bourbon, sweet vermouth and a splash of bitters. Must be sewer water in DC.
    I had some Scottish friends visit me and informed my pedestrian ass that I was not to use an entire ice cube in my fine "whisky" (scotch to me) but only about 1/2" of water pinched from a straw. I've never felt so plebeian.
    Last edited by mbillie1; 10-31-2014 at 11:37 AM. Reason: glademaster's further demonstration of my plebe-hood

Quote Originally Posted by mbillie1 View Post
    I had some Scottish friends visit me and informed my pedestrian ass that I was not to use an entire ice cube in my fine "whiskey" (scotch to me) but only about 1/2" of water pinched from a straw. I've never felt so plebeian.
    You exposed the fact that you're a true plebe by spelling whisky wrong.

There is to be no lime in bourbon, and no "e" in whisky.

DC? Your tax dollars hard at work.

I had some Scottish friends visit me and informed my pedestrian ass that I was not to use an entire ice cube in my fine "whiskey" (scotch to me) but only about 1/2" of water pinched from a straw. I've never felt so plebeian.
    Single malts should never be served on ice. Never.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Single malts should never be served on ice. Never.
    Somewhat unrelated, I was surprised to learn that Johnny Walker Blue is apparently export-only and cannot be found in Scotland. It was funny to see some Scots excited about a whisky they could find in Utah but not Stirling...

Somewhat unrelated, I was surprised to learn that Johnny Walker Blue is apparently export-only and cannot be found in Scotland. It was funny to see some Scots excited about a whisky they could find in Utah but not Stirling...
    Johnny Walker Blue is still a blend and not a single malt. If I'm going to pay that much for a blended scotch, it should include a Cuban cigar and a hummer from a girl who can balance an ashtray on her head.

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    Johnny Walker Blue is still a blend and not a single malt.
    I know, I was surprised to see them ordering a blend (I was blaspheming a Lagavulin 16).

Artisanal ice. Now I've heard everything.

I know, I was surprised to see them ordering a blend (I was blaspheming a Lagavulin 16).
    I know a place that would not serve it to you that way. They will serve you a few cubes on the side, and then walk away, averting their eyes while doing a sign of the cross.

I know a place that would not serve it to you that way. They will serve you a few cubes on the side, and then walk away, averting their eyes while doing a sign of the cross.
    After I was taught the error of my ways, I was sort of surprised that they hadn't corrected me when I ordered. Then I remembered I was in UT and was just happy they didn't put a tiny umbrella in there.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamespio View Post
    Here's another one: Organic Maple Syrup
    Aim for the chopping block. If you aim for the wood, you will have nothing. Aim past the wood, aim through the wood.
    http://tim-kirchoff.pixels.com/

After I was taught the error of my ways, I was sort of surprised that they hadn't corrected me when I ordered. Then I remembered I was in UT and was just happy they didn't put a tiny umbrella in there.
    I once received a margarita with table salt on the rim in Utah. I know, what the fuck was I doing ordering a margarita in Utah? We all make mistakes from time to time.

If you are willing to pay $14 plus tax and tip = $18 for $1 worth of whiskey, then you are surely able to pay an extra $1 for a cube frozen water

Hayduke Aug 7,1996 GS-Aug 26 2010
    HunterS March 17 09-Oct 24 14

What is the JW Blue? It doesn't have age on it.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    What is the JW Blue? It doesn't have age on it.
    They don't state an age because it's blend of their "best and rarest barrels," which I assume are all aged slightly differently.

DC? Your tax dollars hard at work.
    You do understand that D.C. is an actual city with people and private businesses and such, and that the government does not run EVERYTHING there, don't you?