Chamonix March 2nd to 8th 2014

This is a very late TR post, but now I have time and wanted to share for people doing research on Chamonix. Also Its that time of year that I am getting very itchy to put ski boots on.

This past March myself and three other snow seekers set off to find out what Chamonix has to offer.

We booked with Mountain Spirit Guides and found them to be very helpful. For a reasonable price they set us up with a guide for six days of lift assisted backcountry skiing. They also got us a great apartment with a view of Mont Blanc.

This was an amazing trip. Chamonix offers amazing skiing options, scenery and a very cool ski town (actually like a small city in the middle of a huge ski valley.)

Here is what a can recall... some names may be wrong?

Day one. After taking the Aiguille du Midi we skinned and skied the Vallee Blanche Gros Rognon Variation. The top 2/3ds of the run were perfect pitch untracked powder turn after turn after turn. The bottom was heavier but very cool skiing through glaciated terrain.

Our signatures

On the third day we rode the lifts to the top Grands Montets and went out to a run called the Pas du Chevre. This was my favorite of the trip. We had incredible powder down steep slopes with huge rock walls to our sides. The run out was an adventure including some sketchy spots where we demounted although we got by without ropes. In the afternoon we got a second run down the trees of the Aiguille du Midi mid station.\

Here is the crew after the hike out

Here I am in heaven

The Fourth Day. We rode the lifts at Flegere. Then there was a series of steep skins ups and Boot packs. We then rode down the Buet Valley. At the top a huge fog came in. We waited until we got cold and was getting too late. Then We decided to go for it. At first we were blind, then ahha! We came through the clouds to a beautiful view. The run was pretty good with lots of heavier snow, but the views coming through the clouds were amazing.

The Fifth day we did a tour from Grands Montets called the Col du Passon. This was the only day that we had real crappy snow. Thousands of vertical feet in the backcountry of heavy breakable crust. However the day was still rewarding in the adventure and having overcome a serious boot pack that challenged us both physically and mentally.

On the sixth day we rode the lifts a Vallorcine. From there we did a tour called? Grands Autannes to Trient. This combined a moderate skin with a very intense boot pack. This ski down was long and pretty good snow ending a cute little town in Switzerland.

Danny our guide along with Eva from Mountain Spirit Guides

Bravo!!!

Very cool! My wife and I did the Tour Du Mont Blanc for part of our honeymoon this summer and walked through several areas you guys skied, including Autannes to Trient (though I assume you skied the main drainage "scandy trap?" down into Trient). I can't wait to get back to the alps in winter to do some ski touring. If you don't mind me asking, about how much was the guiding and accomodations per person?

The view from Trient and the trek through the Fenetre D'Arpette was the highlight of the trip. That pink church is pretty classic!

These pics look familiar. Our route from Vallorcine to Trient that day shown below. I don't know whether this is scandy trap. The apartment and guide for 6 days cost 990 per person for 4 people. I'd love to hike it in the summer, but then I'd probably wish I was skiing it.

Very nice. I've done all of them and you've ticked off a number of classics. Shame the snow was no good for the Passon - when I was up there it got murky at the bottom but was sweet up top.

Well done

Nice TR! Nice depth in that picture with the ski pole coming towards the camera.

I have spent the last four seasons skiing Chamonix. What a privilege it has been. Early January cold and fresh snow and the town is empty. Skiing the trees off the Aiguille du plan to town for a cold beer is as good as it gets.