Serious question: When do I get surgery

So I of course need to get shoulder surgery. If i got it today, doctor says the best case scenario I can do some BC skiing in March. That sounds horrible. The other option is to wait until April, and miss May and June fly fishing (plus april skiing).

I've been injured for about 6 months at this point, and I'm just constantly in pain, but with aggressive PT I got to about where I wanted to be. One thought is get a shoulder brace, do PT and just continue to live with a hurt shoulder and have a ski season, albeit not one where I can really get after anything sketchy (jumping off stuff, super steeps) and probably limit my resort skiing to some extent. Then get surgery and have a less than amazing summer, but fishing in June and July sucks anyway (too fucking crowded). Doctor says waiting won't have much impact on surgery or me hurting myself even more. But of course I'll continue to hurt for months.

or

I could just fix it now and sacrifice a ski season... Pros are, I'd probably be healthy by summer and stop hurting sooner. Cons are obvious, I'll be a fat depressed fuck all winter staring at ski photos from my friends and pissed off at life.
    Its not that I suck at spelling, its that I just don't care

All I will add is when you get the surgery make sure you follow the recovery/pt plan from your doctor to the T. Do not go out and play without your shoulder being 110%.

I know two differnt people who have blown up their shoulders after surgery because they went after it when they were like 90% there...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Get it early. Loss of function is hard to get back.

Killing it with the 3-5 year old crowd!
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

Just do it now and suck it up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

What surgery could you need that waiting won't make you possibly hurt yourself more?
    If your shoulder is popping out, you're doing damage.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

I waited two seasons to get mine done . It's pretty fucking terrible to pop your shoulder out every time you don't stomp or you roll the windows down . My shoulder socket was broken as well as ligament damage . Not sure which came first but the surgery is worth it and pretty straight forward. If it were me I'd wait but then again , I was able to put my own back in . If you can't then expedite the process git it
    Now
    Webisodes, Blogs, Words and Photos all right here-------->www.chasingsnowflakes.com

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    skied an late oct storm had surgery shittiest early season wasatch came skied again in late jan
    it's six weeks immobilized then another six light duty rehabin
    then ya can ski
    but don't fall.
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    the other shoulder skied all season w/ out being able to raise an arm above my head slayed some pow on 4 20 surgery next day
    rowing and casting july 4th
    granted both mine were torn rotator cuffs tendons and never popped out
    and my pt is ruthless
    i'd say do it now and you could still ski feb march april..... and roll right into fishin season
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

I've decided to get it, after dislocating my shoulder literally barely touching the boards while skating...
    Its not that I suck at spelling, its that I just don't care

fwiw I think a good choice. you can't replace the body and it'll be better in the long term to just cultivate a couple new interests this winter while you heal vs a winter where you would be in constant pain and also pussy-footing around when you did ski to not injure it more.
    I would suggest hitting up some apres ski action as it helps to get out there and see your friends. I found I missed that camaraderie as much as the euphoria of a good pow day. also sympathy drinks will be bought for you Good luck!!

chicks dig scars !!!

get er dun !!!

sorry to hear your gunna miss the bulk of the season ... but its gota happen and summer has more shit to do anyway ...
    We, the RATBAGGERS, formally axcept our duty is to trigger avalaches on all skiers ...

When's the last time it didn't snow by Thanksgiving? Could be a shitty/warm year for snow. Pain just sucks. You're making the right decision. You'll be killin' it next season.
    Did the last unsatisfied fat soccer mom you took to your mom's basement call you a fascist? -irul&ublo
    Don't Taze me bro.

Are your doctors saying that by fixing the labrum your shoulder will no longer dislocate? I've never heard of that before but I'm no shoulder expert.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadam View Post
    chicks dig scars !!!

get er dun !!!

sorry to hear your gunna miss the bulk of the season ... but its gota happen and summer has more shit to do anyway ...
    Arthroscopic surgery leaves practically no scarring.

Quote Originally Posted by jma233 View Post
    Are your doctors saying that by fixing the labrum your shoulder will no longer dislocate? I've never heard of that before but I'm no shoulder expert.
    Obviously not. Torn labrum = dislocations
    -guy who had surgery for 3 tears in his labrum to stop recurring and worsening dislocations
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by HansJob View Post
    You'll be killin' it next season.
    You don't really need your shoulder to Heart Carve.

If you want to milk time without surgery, Try and find a PT who tapes up rugby players if you can.

You will chew through a shiteload of tape, but after a few times paying you'll be able to coach someone to do it for free. It adds a surprising amount of stability to the joint, although it sucks to remove every couple of days.
    Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    This is kinda like the goose that laid the golden egg, but shittier.

quickly becoming a charter member of this club. Dislocation #1 4/8/2014 Solitude, hospital ER reduction (they tried in the soli clinic for like 30m but couldn't get it back in). #2 12/31/14, on local hill, also ER reduction. the ortho wants an MRI which hopefully will be early next week. Weird thing, I'm probably 3 weeks ahead of last time in terms of range of motion.

Cliche gripe, but man aging sucks. (now 50). It was fun being made out of rubber and bouncing off stuff these past 30 years.
    "Can't you see..."

Marshall - there's actually a really important distinction between shoulder dislocations in very young people and those older than forty. The issue with very young dislocators is that they tend to recur if they remain active. With older individuals, the big concern is that there's a high rate of rotator cuff tear with a dislocation which can potentially become harder to repair with time if the torn muscle retracts and atrophies. There is a huge debate on what you do for someone with a rotator cuff tear on MRI that is still functioning very well (esp if they don't have pain), but it's worth getting an MRI and then having a real discussion with an orthopedic surgeon.

For all the younger athletes out there with recurrent dislocations, the bigger issue is damage to the cartilage with every dislocation, as well as the potential to shear off bone from the glenoid (the "cup" of the ball and socket shoulder joint) that ultimately requires a bigger reconstruction if one ultimately needs surgery.

Best of luck to you, Marshall.
    Originally Posted by jm2e:
    To be a JONG is no curse in these unfortunate times. 'Tis better that than to be alone.

"One thought is get a shoulder brace, do PT and just continue to live with a hurt shoulder and have a ski season"

Do this one.

Another thought is to not take advice from this clown.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by Orthoski View Post
    There is a huge debate on what you do for someone with a rotator cuff tear on MRI that is still functioning very well (esp if they don't have pain),
    Are you in the ortho industry? regardless appreciate your thoughts, what do you think on this?
    I beleive this is where I'm gonna be (MRI thurs PM).
    "Can't you see..."

Check your pm's.
    Originally Posted by jm2e:
    To be a JONG is no curse in these unfortunate times. 'Tis better that than to be alone.

Had the MRI one "partical thickness" tear but dr said not enough given my age for surgery.
    "Can't you see..."

so, does anyone with shoulder issues actually ski with any kind of brace thingy? Dyin to get back out. Wrap my shoulders in duct tape? Bubble wrap?
    "Can't you see..."

661 makes one, not a clue how well it works though. Seriously look into A PT who tapes rugby lads. Not allowed to have anything solid on you so tape is te only thing that can be used to stabilize joints. I've seen guys with ACL and mcl gone be able to run fine with normal stability.....just takes lots of tape.

And a second opinion on your MRI might be worth it. Big difference between partial tear and you are fine and partial tear you can't move your arm.
    Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    This is kinda like the goose that laid the golden egg, but shittier.