Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Dumb responses from "professionals"...

I got one today from an email service provider. I just took over a network that has been using this email provider since right after fire was discovered, and there hasn't been a lot of oversight or policy enforcement... So I wanted to see if I could set up some basic data retention, first by restricting the users' ability to delete their email. I sent an email to the provider asking if they offered that functionality, which they don't. Not that big a deal - I can work it out on this end. But the real gem was a comment from the guy saying that restricting the ability of a user to delete their email would "fundamentally change how email works".
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    Hugh Conway sucks
    Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    I guess stfu might be right about steel toed boots
    Quote Originally Posted by pedoherp69 View Post
    I know actual transpeople.
    Quote Originally Posted by rokjoxx View Post
    We is got a good military, maybe cause some kids get to shooting sports early here.

you think proffesionals exist anymore? they do but are extremely rare

people stopped giving a fuck about 3-4 years ago and are just phoning it in, making shit up or ignoring customers

oh ya, price gouging too
    Zone Controller

"He wants to be a pro, bro, not some schmuck." - Hugh Conway

"DigitalDeath would kick my ass. He has the reach of a polar bear." - Crass3000

Quote Originally Posted by stfu&gbtw View Post
    I got one today from an email service provider. I just took over a network that has been using this email provider since right after fire was discovered, and there hasn't been a lot of oversight or policy enforcement... So I wanted to see if I could set up some basic data retention, first by restricting the users' ability to delete their email. I sent an email to the provider asking if they offered that functionality, which they don't. Not that big a deal - I can work it out on this end. But the real gem was a comment from the guy saying that restricting the ability of a user to delete their email would "fundamentally change how email works".
    To be fare, in some ways, Gmail has fundamentally changed how email works
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Just got another one!

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    To be fare, in some ways, Gmail has fundamentally changed how email works
    Hugh Conway sucks
    We is got a good military, maybe cause some kids get to shooting sports early here.

I laughed.
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

I just got turned on to this site a few months ago: http://clientsfromhell.net Primarily a sounding board for the stupidity and arrogance freelance graphic people encounter. It's both sad and funny at the same time.

".... guy saying that restricting the ability of a user to delete their email would "fundamentally change how email works".

Maybe he works for the IRS?

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    I just got turned on to this site a few months ago: http://clientsfromhell.net Primarily a sounding board for the stupidity and arrogance freelance graphic people encounter. It's both sad and funny at the same time.
    That site is great.

uhhh, email should be able to be deleted.

As an email admin, you shouldn't let users know that you're trying to store their emails by not allowing them to delete. Create a journal archive of their box and save everything in the background. Don't freak them out by preventing a delete.

I must be on some kind of roll today.

Quote Originally Posted by Hott Butt Mud View Post
    uhhh, email should be able to be deleted.

As an email admin, you shouldn't let users know that you're trying to store their emails by not allowing them to delete. Create a journal archive of their box and save everything in the background. Don't freak them out by preventing a delete.
    Hugh Conway sucks

I must be on some kind of roll today.
    Yeah, you're rolling on being a fucking retard.

Yeah, you're rolling on being a fucking retard.
    Lol... Tell me more about your email policies

I ran a data discovery for one company where the employees were all stealing shit and writing about it on company email... Every mailbox was full of people telling eachother "be sure to shift-delete this email so they won't find it!" Fucking hysterical.
    Hugh Conway sucks

OK.

Who gives a fuck if a user deletes something? If you want to archive it, do it on the back end. Doesn't matter if it's deleted by the user, it's still archived.

That should be your policy (for those who you want to archive).

OK.

Who gives a fuck if a user deletes something? If you want to archive it, do it on the back end. Doesn't matter if it's deleted by the user, it's still archived.

That should be your policy (for those who you want to archive).
    What do you figure I was asking this email service provider to do? Are you a rocket surgeon IRL, or do you save this special talent for us?
    Hugh Conway sucks

What do you figure I was asking this email service provider to do? Are you a rocket surgeon IRL, or do you save this special talent for us?
    Well from your OP, you specifically said you wanted to prevent the user from being able to delete their emails. I am saying that they should be able to delete their emails 'in theory' and 'in action', however, that 'action' is merely an administrative 'cleaning' by the user. Emails are still stored.

Do you understand now, tard?

Well from your OP, you specifically said you wanted to prevent the user from being able to delete their emails. I am saying that they should be able to delete their emails 'in theory' and 'in action', however, that 'action' is merely an administrative 'cleaning' by the user. Emails are still stored.

Do you understand now, tard?
    Are you not familiar with the word 'delete'? What do you think it means? Does it mean "not delete"? No, not really. It's more like "delete".
    Hugh Conway sucks

So, when a message is archived, has it been deleted? Come on now HBM... You can figure this out.
    Hugh Conway sucks

You are not understanding me, or are confused yourself. I am saying that a guy named Joe can delete an email from his inbox. He can even delete that email from his deleted items. Yet, that email will still be archived.

I'm pretty sure I've just taught you a few things here, but you won't admit it.

You're welcome, tard.

You are not understanding me, or are confused yourself. I am saying that a guy named Joe can delete an email from his inbox. He can even delete that email from his deleted items. Yet, that email will still be archived.

You're welcome, tard.
    So does that mean he can delete the email, or he can not delete the email? I know you'd like to find some gray area here, but messages are either deleted or not. Pick one. If you would like to move the message to another location, that's fine. But that doesn't mean you can delete the email.

What you've taught me is that I'm glad I don't have to run the network at your job... You're a pebkac waiting to happen. And an argumentative one at that. Welcome to 1985.
    Hugh Conway sucks

It's not hard, he's saying a used can delete the message in their personal inbox. But it can still be stored elsewhere, even if it's inaccessible to the user who did the deleting.

So does that mean he can delete the email, or he can not delete the email? I know you'd like to find some gray area here, but messages are either deleted or not. Pick one. If you would like to move the message to another location, that's fine. But that doesn't mean you can delete the email.

What you've taught me is that I'm glad I don't have to run the network at your job... You're a pebkac waiting to happen. And an argumentative one at that.
    No dude, it's obvious you haven't had to deal with this yet. And yes, I am trying to be a dick to you (because you started it... nananananana).

Stop thinking about the word delete and think more about archive.

Archive = permanently stored no matter what; For real-time journaling, the journal message is sent for further processing at the same time the actual electronic message is being sent. For periodic journaling, the journal message is stored in a secure, local storage area before being archived at the enterprise level on a periodic basis, typically after business hours.
    Delete = feel good by user; but actually never going to happen by the user

User Delete = email is removed from their mailbox; gone, they don't see it ever again; this is not a delete of the email content
    In Reality = email is archived in the journal mailbox; forever stored and accessed at later date

Quote Originally Posted by abraham View Post
    It's not hard, he's saying a used can delete the message in their personal inbox. But it can still be stored elsewhere, even if it's inaccessible to the user who did the deleting.
    Really? Wow dude... How did I ever admin the world's largest Domino network without you two telling me about email archiving? Leave it to a couple of lusers to not be able to comprehend the concept of deletion.
    Hugh Conway sucks

spook Guest

You're welcome, tard.
    so the email is not being deleted. it's being stored. dope worker of company that spies on him just doesn't know it.

Quote Originally Posted by spook View Post
    so the email is not being deleted. it's being stored. dope worker of company that spies on him just doesn't know it.
    Exactly. It's being deleted by the original recipient from their email, however, depending on the business retention policy agreed to, it may or may not be archived.