Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    We're with you guys,we want to get to less traveled areas too. That's what this winter and the kickstarter project is about. As I said before there are literally thousands of other mountains in Japan to tour, we only have permission on just this one and we always have someone on top to watch for other parties. We now know every inch of that mountain and are very confident with our system. By getting so many people up there and skiing all aspects when they are safe, we are hopefully dispelling the myth (among local Japanese) that Shirbetsu-dake nicknamed "nadareyama" or "avalanche mountain" is anymore dangerous than any other steeper mountain. That said we expect to be flying less than 50% of the days due to weather (and our cat-ski back-up is not on Shiribetsu), so there should be time for everyone.
    Goniff, thanks for the kind words re the lodge and tours. I'm sure you had a great tour but please understand that progress and increased numbers is inevitable, especially in what was once "easy access untracked" Hokkaido. What happens when resort co. puts a lift to the top one day?
    BD works hard to try and stay ahead of the curve for our guests (and ourselves) so we have something new on offer each season. That's why for example you'll see us going the extra mile driving our lodge guests (who aren't on a tour) 2 hrs some days to get the goods at another resort if we think it will be better there.
    It was never my dream to start a heli operation, cat operation yes. Ironically we find ourselves (Dragon heli and HBC) doing this collaboration as the best possible move forward for both of us to show what is possible to the government and local economies. In my opinion if you choose to do Shiribetsu-dake fully knowing that there is also a heli op going on there, you shouldn't really get upset.
    Last edited by BDLodge; 11-07-2014 at 10:32 PM.

Hopefully this will put the scale of what we're talking about into perspective...that's Shiribetsu-dake an the right .
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	marcgasch@nisekoMC8W7012.jpg 
Views:	179 
Size:	1.19 MB 
ID:	160060
    Last edited by BDLodge; 11-08-2014 at 04:43 PM.

Gotta say I am totally against the idea of heli ski operations in Western Hokkaido .

Don't get me wrong, I love heli (when my budget allows ) and I've been heli-boarding many times in AK, NZ and Canada. Those kinds of places, that have massive amounts of suitable terrain with big alpine vertical relief, are ideal for this. Absolutely (or extremely minimal) no conflict exists between those who choose to walk up and those who choose to whirlybird up. It's a totally different thing when I can park my car, skin for an hour and then be met by a horde of heli-skiers tracking out a tiny mountain . Just ask any ski tourer in the Wasatch what they think of Wasatch Powder Birds . For heli runs, they are very short runs on Shiribetsudake and actually really bad value when you compare it to Heli-ski anywhere else, so I can only hope people will be put off by the cost and the short(-ish) runs.

I could see an argument for heli-ski down on Honshu (m-a-y-b-e eastern Hokkaido at a stretch) where there is much more suitable (and bigger) terrain. Luckily, apart from Shiribetsudake, most of my favourite touring spots on Hokkaido are in national parks and hopefully will never see a helicopter. I think I'd cry if I saw a heli land on somewhere like Furanodake.

Having said that, I'm not vindictive enough to be rude or abusive if I happen to see heli group up there. I'll politely say hello and be on my way.

I'm sorry BD, but I really hope this venture doesn't succeed.

Ultimately, my opinion is that it's a fairly selfish decision in an area where there's not a lot of quick access touring terrain (compared to somewhere like North America). I can only hope for lots of snow and no-fly days, luckily for me that usually happens! I also realise that my opinion is completely and utterly irrelevant as I neither live, nor work, in Japan. I'm just a disappointed split-boarder who visits several times a year.

Between a rock and a soft place. Aberdare and The Brecon Beacons, Wales
    Quote Originally Posted by Feathertop View Post
    Gotta say I am totally against the idea of heli ski operations in Western Hokkaido .

Ultimately, my opinion is that it's a fairly selfish decision in an area where there's not a lot of quick access touring terrain (compared to somewhere like North America).
    There's an abundance.

NISEKO RESORT AREA
    Goshiki Onsen
    Iwaonupuri
    Nitonupuri
    Chisenupuri
    Mekunaidake
    Mt Yotei

IWANAI
    Iwanai-dake

JYOZANKEI
    Tengudake and Tenguyama

KIRORO
    Yoichi-dake
    "1107"
    Backside of Kiroro down to Sapporo Kokusai

LAKE SHIKOTSU
    Eniwa-dake
    Tarumae
    Fuppushi-dake

You've listed some great touring spots there no doubt. I haven't been to all of them, but I still don't think many of them (maybe eniwa-dake is the exception) have the same below tree-line steep fall line that siri has. Iwao is great, but you need good weather. Yoichidake similar (for the top and S face anyway). I haven't done iwanai-dake, tenguyama, 1107. Mekkunai doesn't have the same fall line. Nito is a great all-weather option, but short. Chise, mostly alpine. Yotei is great, doesn't have the same steep pitch.

My point is, if you want to "break boundaries" and open up some of the great backcountry on Hokkaido, don't do it with a helicopter on a hill that already has a ski lift on one side of it and is easy access for tourers.

Sorry, but I just don't like the idea of heli on Siri.

Quote Originally Posted by Feathertop View Post
    My point is, if you want to "break boundaries" and open up some of the great backcountry on Hokkaido, don't do it with a helicopter on a hill that already has a ski lift on one side of it and is easy access for tourers.
    Fair enough.

Unfortunately I'm led to believe that it's a case of beggars can't be choosers at this stage

Hey everyone!

Here's an update on our Kickstarter project --> We're now LIVE and asking backers to help fund this digital documentary.

This is not a puff piece about holiday skiing in Japan.

We're working to create a dialogue about backcountry access and safety that everyone is invited to be part of.

Myself and BDLodge welcome your input and comments!

Special thanks to Warren Miller Entertainment and Nimbus Independent for contributing footage to this Kickstarter video.
    Last edited by SUPERIOR; 11-10-2014 at 09:45 AM.

Was talking with an 85 year old guy last night who was telling me stories about skiing Hokkaido in the 1950s. Trying to get some pictures from him - he said he has a few somewhere. He kept saying, "it just never stopped snowing the whole time we were there".

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    Was talking with an 85 year old guy last night who was telling me stories about skiing Hokkaido in the 1950s. Trying to get some pictures from him - he said he has a few somewhere. He kept saying, "it just never stopped snowing the whole time we were there".
    That would be cool.

Good to hear that nothing's changed re: the snowfall

For both the operators and those considering visiting, one note from a local here.

You should be advised that the idea of a heli operation on limited terrain that has already been in use by locals is causing significant noise in the community. We are already seeing conflict between locals and foreign visitors because of non-local tour guides who seem adamant about not following local rules, courtesy, and in some cases, lack of basic safety measures. This alone is giving the visitor population a bad name. Shiribetsu has limited runs, and when you bring a heli operation, you are disrupting the locals that have always been climbing there. I know there are very strict regulations about heli usage in the mountains, especially with many being national parks where motorized vehicles (heli included) are illegal, but on the other hand that has been what has kept many of the mountains within a reasonable population level.

Disrespect to locals is never a good idea in a business venture. Just because you can, doesn't mean you should. I strongly suggest trying to find different mountain zones and lines to do heli skiing at. Tomamu already does cat/heli, and they have been successful in using an area that is pretty much closed off with no local traffic. No locals to complain, satisfied customers, it all works out. That won't be the case when you start flying into zones that people are already touring in.

Same story different place.

I see we have reached the NIMBY stage.
    Live Free or Die

Super cool project!
    -
    14erskiers.com

"Don't be afraid of the spaces between your dreams and reality. If you can dream it, you can make it so." - Belva Davis

"There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle"--Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by WPJ View Post
    For both the operators and those considering visiting, one note from a local here.

You should be advised that the idea of a heli operation on limited terrain that has already been in use by locals is causing significant noise in the community. We are already seeing conflict between locals and foreign visitors because of non-local tour guides who seem adamant about not following local rules, courtesy, and in some cases, lack of basic safety measures. This alone is giving the visitor population a bad name.
    Please elaborate.

Whilst I agree that some of the non-Japanese "guides" are slap dash, statistically more injuries and fatalities have occurred amongst the domestic Japanese ski & snowboard population.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Pow View Post
    Please elaborate.

Whilst I agree that some of the non-Japanese "guides" are slap dash, statistically more injuries and fatalities have occurred amongst the domestic Japanese ski & snowboard population.
    Having skied with many Cat and Heli ski operations in Canada over the past 25 years I would rate the HBC heli guides from 2014 to be top notch. ACMG/IFMGA certified guides are certainly not slap dash!

Quote Originally Posted by 2wheeler View Post
    Having skied with many Cat and Heli ski operations in Canada over the past 25 years I would rate the HBC heli guides from 2014 to be top notch. ACMG/IFMGA certified guides are certainly not slap dash!
    I agree 100%.

I wasn't referring to Jordy Shepherd from HBC who is an IFMGA certified guide.

I was referring to the many 'locals' (both Japanese and non-Japanese) and instructors who call themselves 'guides' who run or work for companies that offer 'guiding' services without the relevant certification.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Pow View Post
    I was referring to the many 'locals' (both Japanese and non-Japanese) and instructors who call themselves 'guides' who run or work for companies that offer 'guiding' services without the relevant certification.
    I've certainly seen a few of these in my travels in Japan.
    Putting the "core" in corporate, one turn at a time.

Metalmücil 2010 - 2013 "Go Home" album is now a free download

The Bonin Petrels

Please support our project to see more exploration using tools like these and (god willing) helping to create improved, uniform backcountry usage and risk management programs at resorts.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmdH2TX497o

wow, that video was a turn off. I am planning my third trip to Hakkido I will definitely check where you are operating and avoid those areas. I stayed at your lodge when i skied Yotei a few years ago. You seemed like you were passinate about skiing in Japan.
    off your knees Louie

Yep video def seems like you want to turn this place into a moto maniac zone id say drop the project and go skiing

Snow is falling, and we're nearly 30 percent funded

Quick update here from Hokkaido -- more than 27 inches of snow in some locations over the past 48 hours!

The Niseko Village resort is preparing to open next weekend, and we're just a bit closer to getting out with the Hokkaido Backcountry Club and checking the off-piste conditions around the mountain.

The Hokkaido Backcountry Project is also nearly 30 percent funded!

We want to say "THANK YOU!" for your contribution.

Here's what happens after 48 hours of continuous snowfall - 11/15/2014

I arrived at New Chitose Airport on November 11, and have been exploring amazing northern Japan with the staff at Black Diamond Lodge and Tours for the past four days. The skiing community here includes four major resorts sharing one 4,294 ft. mountain that receives more than 500 inches of snow each season.

Here's an interesting fact: I was interviewed by TV Tokyo upon landing in Hokkaido for the famous TV series "Why did you come to Japan?"

Getting interviewed by TV Tokyo the day I landed in Hokkaido - 11/11/2014

I told them we wanted to document the first modern helicopter skiing operation in Hokkaido, and show why the Niseko ski area is among the world's finest.

In reality, we want to do much more than that.

The Hokkaido snow riding community is huge. More than 18 resorts and plethora of guide services populate this 83,000 square-kilometer, mountainous island in the sea of Japan. What it doesn't have is a standardized system of avalanche prediction, control, and backcountry access.

There's also a serious debate about the development of helicopter and snowcat operations on the island.

Add to that a growing population of skiers, snowboarders, pro athletes, and film crews, and you'll see why we're titling it "The Hokkaido Backcountry Project."

The foggy slopes of Mt. Yotei behind the buildings of Niseko village

The crew from BD Lodge and Tours

Struggling like a bum the first day of skinning up the resort. Credit: Shin Doi

Today, I was able to get my first turns on the mountain, and I look forward to the impending snow that famously coats the green sasa bamboo. For those of you who have pledged to back this project, Clay, Makoto, and I are very excited to begin fulfilling our promises to backers.

However, we still have more than $5,000 to raise, and 20 days to do it.

Stay tuned!
    Last edited by SUPERIOR; 11-15-2014 at 03:51 PM.

The snow is flying and we're 230% funded!

Here's a great update from Niseko -- the snow is flying and the Hokkaido Backcountry Project is 230% funded!

You can check out the progress on our Kickstarter page here.

It's been amazing to see the winter transformation here in Niseko. The green sasa has been blanketed! More than 135 cm of snow has fallen this week, and Hanazono, Hirafu, Niseko Village, and Annupuri are now open.

Here's a couple shots from the last few weeks around the mountain.

The first snow to blanket the mountain on November 14

A curious red fox near the Niseko Village lifts on November 18

Shin Doi ripping the Niseko sidecountry on his split board, November 23

Mt. Yotei at Dusk, December 2

Hiking the Annupuri resort after a 57 cm dump on Saturday, December 6

Yes, that orange thing is a snowboarder. December 6, 2014

Snow clearing after 7 days of storms, December 8, 2014

The Shakotan Peninsula, seen from the fishing village of Shakotan-cho

There's good news for the helicopter operation too -- I recently traveled to the Shakotan Peninsula with Dragon Heli operations manager Makoto Koizumi. We visited with 86-year-old heli-skiing pioneer Horiuchi-san, who financed Hokkaido's first helicopter ski operation more than 30 years ago.

You can read more about that meeting on the TGR "Stash" section here.

We also plan to publish our first web edit within a week, and I hope to begin work on the helicopter documentary when the big bird starts flying on December 22.

Thanks for your support, and keep the questions and comments coming!
    Last edited by SUPERIOR; 12-09-2014 at 03:34 AM.

HBC opens the Karibayam zone, plus web edits and heli footage

Here's the latest update on the Hokkaido Backcountry Project here in northern Japan.
    I've had an amazing experience this winter, and currently working hard to capture footage for my Kickstarter documentary slated for release this spring.
    So what's been going on?

1. I've shot and edited two webisodes showing the life and culture at Black Diamond Lodge.
    WARNING: gratuitous Onsen antics, endless snow shoveling, and lukewarm Asahi ahead ...

2. The Hokkaido Backcountry Club heli operation officially began on Jan. 10 with flights resuming to 1,107 meter Shiribetsu-Dake. This is not without controversy, and I'm searching for a way to explore the many sides of this issue.

We had a visit from Atomic pro Molly Baker who skied laps around me in the Shiribetsu-Dake backcountry. Molly is currently writing about the HBC heli and cat operation for Down Days Magazine in the UK.

Gearing up for a tour on Shiribetsu-Dake

3. HBC also provided snow safety and heli access for Chris Benchetler and John Jackson to film a GoPro Japan webisode slated for Fall 2015 release.

Chris Benchetler

John Jackson

4. There's been a big exploration of the Kariba-yama mountains, and the HBC guides have built snow roads into this coastal area of SE Hokkaido.

These mountains are up to 1,500 meters, and include lots of bigger faces, ridges, and classic tree skiing overlooking the Sea of Japan.

Climbing East Kariba with guide Shaun King and HBC ski bum Phil Haliday

5. HBC recently hosted Sean Pettit and the Superproofinc crew, including Richard Permin, Mark Abma, and Joe Schuster before the area was officially opened to guests.

Mark Abma and Richard Permin get ready to session a booter in the Hokkaido backcountry.

Abma, Schuster, Permin, and Pettit -- two days later, Permin left Japan to compete in the Red Bull Linecatcher.

Cinematographers working with Red Bull Media House traveled on site to help film Pettit's reality TV show, plus provide additional camera work for the new Superproofinc film slated for release in Fall 2015.

Here's both the HBC and Superproofinc waving hello from Kariba-yama

STAY TUNED FOR MORE UPDATES!
    Last edited by SUPERIOR; 01-20-2015 at 09:08 PM.