Icelantic Vangaurd - Info?

Anyone have any experience with Icelantic's latest offering? I like what I see, but looking for first hand accounts. The reviews I found online are less than lacking.

http://www.icelanticskis.com/ski_detail.cfm?pid=290

84 views and no one knows anything?! Color me shocked. I know Icelantic isn't the most popular brand around here, but I figured someone would have some details.

I don't have much experience with their skis as a whole, so I'm nervous about pulling the trigger sight unseen - though, I do have a heavily discounted code I'm looking to burn.

I have a pair of 188s sitting in my garage, haven't mounted or skied them yet. Tail shape looks perfect, sidecut good. Lots of tip rocker so should float well. Lots of camber - too much, IMO, for soft snow but should have good edgegrip. They hand flex a bit stiffer than the flex rating on Icelantic's site would indicate, but are not a stiff ski by any means. Medium flexing, I'd say, Mine are a bit heavier than advertised at around 8.25lbs.

Now that's some solid info! Can't ask for much more when it hasn't been skied yet. Thanks a lot adrenalated. Much appreciated.

Haven't had the vanguard in my hand, but the new pilgrim is much improved, IMO, with the flat tail and a bit stiffer flex.

Did anyone have experience with the Vanguard? They seem really interesting for touring but there are few reviews online. Any news?

WestCoastPDR Guest
    I'll relay my buddies info on them within the next 41 days. ( mammoth Opening day. )

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Sorry man - didn't end up picking these up. Went in a different direction.

Looks to be the only Icelantic ski designed for someone other than hobbits who make a lot of turns.

Anyone?

I was thinking about pulling the trigger of a discounted pair of these. Anyone had any experience? Been looking for a fun, mid-fat touring ski and think this could be it.

*stepping out of lurkerdom*

I have a pair in 188 since late last season, have logged maybe 30-40 days of touring/slackcountry and general riding on them during summer and early pre-season here in Sweden. They replaced my totally thrashed OG K2 Sidestash of the first model. Mounted them up with FT12's and they are plenty light for such a wide ski (weighed them at 2400gram per ski including bindings).

They ski really well and don't feel nervous like some lighter carbon packed skis does. And they don't have that strange carbon sound.. Feels like a real ski under your foot, confidence inspiring I'd say. I really like the shape, camber and rocker-profile, works like a charm in all types of snow I've skied them in so far.
    Sure by today's standards they are a bit on the "traditional" side but I find them very versatile. I ski all types of snow but haven't had the chance to try them out in deeper soft conditions but they felt amazing in soft deep spring slush. If you are a GS-type rider they sure love those big fast nice turns, haven't found any speed limit on them yet either. Either on hard pack or in the softer stuff.

If there's anything in particular you wanna know, ask away.

i have about 40 days on my 188's as well... I love these skis. one of the best touring boards I've found. they are light on the up track with a traditional camber plus tip rocker which sets them up to do well going up and in less than favorable conditions on the way down but also they float and rip in pow too.
    I'm used to having a heavy inbounds set up and like to have a ski that busts through crud. Most stiff light skis get deflected in adverse conditions. The vanguards aren't the stiffest skis out there but they do very well in the crud as well. I guess they feel damp for a touring ski which i like.
    Would i ski them in bounds all the time probably not... i'd go with my moment belafontes with a little more support, but in the backcountry they are just enough to push through any chop, mank, ice and also good to go in the pow. that being said they will do just fine getting to and from the slack country at any speed.
    These are a great one ski quiver for touring you wont be disappointed.
    People who live in Grass houses shouldn't get stoned ~Michner