CAIC Archive - Aspen Area

Does CAIC have an archive of all the daily advisories or a season recap that they put out. New to the Roaring Fork Valley and want to get an idea of how the valley works. I'm new from SLC and the UAC does a great job of archiving, and putting out year end summaries.

Anyone have any info on this?

The Avalanche Review is a good source for seasonal history. They have write-ups from pretty much every forecasting center from the Chugach to New Hampshire.. it's not advisories, but search around on the CAIC site, too.

http://www.americanavalancheassociat...b_archives.php
    long live the jahrator

I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

^^ CAIC is an incredible resource.

Looking at historical data/trends/incidents is what smart people do when they move to new mountains. Good on you.
    Drive slow, homie.

So many CO mags, there's always good info. around here. Keep an eye on the CO weather thread, seems like people post their observations quite a bit.

So far haven't been impressed with the CAIC. Recent fatal avalanche in the area and as far as I can tell staff didn't even visit the site. No crown profiles, analysis of the situation. Maybe they're just taking a really long time to post it.

Anyone know what's going on or if this is normal?

Coming from Utah, the UAC crew were out in the field every day posting detailed observations, snowpits, avalanche summaries.

This morning the avalanche report wasn't even issued until after 9 AM? You're fucking kidding me right!

The reports that come after deaths always take a long time. They were definitely there the day after the incident as posted pics of the debris the next day. My understanding is that the reports have a bit of legal weight (sort of police report ish) so I think they take a while to gather all the facts they need and post the most objective info they can.

As for the other stuff it's hard to say. Sure 9 is a bit late but the previous days report should give you enough to think about.
    Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    Keystone is the new Snowbird

CAIC Archive - Aspen Area

Quote Originally Posted by BLOWhERPOW View Post
    Recent fatal avalanche in the area and as far as I can tell staff didn't even visit the site.

Huh!!
    Text below copied and pasted from caic homepage right below a picture of the slide.

"On Monday, February 23. a skier was killed in an avalanche on the west side of Aspen Mountain, outside the ski area boundary. CAIC staff visited the site on Tuesday, February 24. A preliminary report can be viewed here.
    Our thoughts and condolences go out to friends and family of the victim"

As for a 9am update - yeah a little late but maybe they were out early checking out some of the big naturals that ripped around the valley yesterday/early today before writing the post.
    And what the heck were you expecting from the report that you didn't learn by reading the days prior or know by looking out your window or being outside yesterday or infering from winter storm warnings posted since at least thursday and avalanche advisory that was posted yesterday?
    Were you hoping to read "its been puking snow and blowing like crazy for a few days so today should be a good day for some ex utah guy to go rip some steeps in the bc"???
    Last edited by dcpnz; 03-01-2015 at 04:43 PM.

You can access archived CAIC forecasts below the graphics on the forecast summary tab. Pick the date you want from the pull down menu, click "get forecast."

Accident report for the Peter Barker slide is out; link on homepage.

CAIC website is having some troubles. Try yelling "It's better in Utah!!!" as you hit refresh. That'll make it speed up.

I understand the accident report sometimes takes a bit. The final report has been posted and just from glancing at it that's what I was looking for. So thanks for that! A very sad outcome...to a very avoidable accident.

As for the rest, I think there's just a lack of information flowing in the valley. Something that I may have to get used to. Late reports on such a big day, well after the lifts have opened and I'd already be out the door if I wasn't sidelined with knee surgery on Friday.

As for the rest, I think there's just a lack of information flowing in the valley. Something that I may have to get used to. Late reports on such a big day, well after the lifts have opened and I'd already be out the door if I wasn't sidelined with knee surgery on Friday.
    What about exerting a tiny bit of self reliance? Jesus Christ. I could probably write the avi report for a week out.

But you do pay big money for it, so I can understand your frustration, especially since you were counting on it so much for your big plans.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    What about exerting a tiny bit of self reliance? Jesus Christ. I could probably write the avi report for a week out.

But you do pay big money for it, so I can understand your frustration, especially since you were counting on it so much for your big plans.

Right on bud, I'm not even skiing at the moment. Other's are who are clueless and need this resource. I could care less about the danger rating but, snow, temp & winds are very important in planning your day in the mountains. These metrics are available on their website and multiple others but a quick concise summary is a good way to start your day....wouldn't you agree?

I can't believe there isn't another source of snow, temp, and winds to be found besides going out your front door. Holy shit, from the comfort of your interior hot tub you can even google that! No Fucking Way!
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Each CAIC forecaster covers far more geographical area than each UAC forecaster. While not perfect, I think they do a very good job overall with the limited resources that they have.

I would love to see them have more manpower, but the finances are not there. Your support is appreciated.

I understand the accident report sometimes takes a bit. The final report has been posted and just from glancing at it that's what I was looking for. So thanks for that! A very sad outcome...to a very avoidable accident.

You're not in Utah any more.. Our valley and reporting area is vast and varied.... best to relax and see how a storm plays out... usually.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

I hear that this week they have started to try to get forecasts out a bit earlier. The past few days have all been out before 8am, some around 6. I agree, the earlier the better but they get up pretty damn early (4-5am) to go through all the data and reports, then a virtual group caic huddle before the forecast goes out. As others have said, the forecasters have a vast area to cover, and often they have to cover for other areas when a forecaster takes a day off. The Aspen area forecaster can sometimes have to write the report for Aspen (which is a large and varied area in itself), Grand Mesa, and Gunnison in a day. I think he's done a great job thus far in writing articulate reports that are engaging and make you think. If you have suggestions, I'm sure he'd love to discuss with you. Sorry to hear about your knee, heal up.

Want more forecasters? Donate and support YOUR avalanche center. avalanche.state.co.us/donate