Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Alaska 2014-2015 Conditions & Stoke Thread

Mike - Get yourself a new camera! You're going to need it! Because, by my calculations, you've been in some places during some pretty bad seasons, and you're pretty much past due for a kick ass one by now

Miss you!
    -
    14erskiers.com

"Don't be afraid of the spaces between your dreams and reality. If you can dream it, you can make it so." - Belva Davis

"There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle"--Albert Einstein

What happened to the polar vortex, haven't been following any weather lately due to too much work.

Quote Originally Posted by JTrue View Post
    What happened to the polar vortex, haven't been following any weather lately due to too much work.
    Its alive and well...

I went fishing on thursday and didn't have to pick ice off the guides once... I'm worried we won't actually have snow in Anchorage anymore
    Its not that I suck at spelling, its that I just don't care

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbikerskierchick View Post
    Mike - Get yourself a new camera! You're going to need it! Because, by my calculations, you've been in some places during some pretty bad seasons, and you're pretty much past due for a kick ass one by now

Miss you!
    Miss you too MBSC! Its funny, I think my two worst snow seasons have been my two favorite seasons. 100% because of the people too!

On a side note, it was 9 C when I went to bed last night. With an inch of rain forecast for Turnagain overnight. Sure won't have to worry about depth hoar down there

Looking for a touring partner for tomorrow, I'll be coming from Anchorage and can drive. From what I've heard Turnagain is good up high. Hit me up!!!

Its been good up high mike. boot pack the 1st 10 mins then you can skin. i would post photos but I'm still to new here

Gents, there is a good chance I am getting a job offer in my field in anchorage. The question is, do I want to move from Bend to take it. Convince me on Alaska!

Isn't it every skiers dream to move to Alaska? It would be my dream anyways, if I didn't already live here.

Things are getting better up high, high latitudes that is...

I can't wait to move back home. In the meantime I'll enjoy the PNW.
    But Ellen kicks ass - if she had a beard it would be much more haggard. -Jer

I'm to new to post links or pictures but here is a little something from yesterday

vimeo.com/113063887

Alaska 2014-2015 Conditions & Stoke Thread

Quote Originally Posted by jcoccagna View Post
    Gents, there is a good chance I am getting a job offer in my field in anchorage. The question is, do I want to move from Bend to take it. Convince me on Alaska!
    Do it man! I passed up an offer on Juneau because the pay wasn't worth the distance from my family and I'm kicking myself now. It was the right decision for me, but i can't help wondering what it would be like if i took that chance and i will always sort of regret not making the move.

Who needs family when you've got big ass mountains and shit tons of snow.

So yeah, fkn go for it!

But I've never been to Alaska so i cant say what its like.
    27° 18°

Thin, but an enjoyable day to give thanks from down here in SE AK

They pay you to live in AK. Besides, you can heli-ski all winter long in AK. Midnight sun, long dark winters. Bears, moose, combat fishing. What's not to love. You should be asking, "convince me NOT to leave Bend..." Enjoy your new job in Anchorage!
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Quote Originally Posted by Thatguysaccount View Post
    I'm to new to post links or pictures but here is a little something from yesterday

vimeo.com/113063887
    That is $$$$$, thanks for posting. Looks like we have some mutual friends, I'd love to get out and shoot with you guys sometime!

I moved up to AK from CO about 18 months ago. There are definitely some things that I miss about Colorado, but I love it here, its been a total reset in my life and I'm glad I did it. Nov - January kinda drags but the other 9 months of the year are awesome. There are a lot of things to love about Anchorage: relatively affordable, close to a lot of fun stuff, lots of active people, and great jobs. From my experience employers here seem to be very oriented to a work-life balance, time off, and a casual work environment. The things that I miss more than anything are the mountain biking (its OK here), the sun, and lots of in bounds ski options. Also, I don't know what you do for work, but work can be the ultimate way to see AK. Its expensive to get around the state and if you can get paid to do it that's great! I'd say go for it, you can always move back in a year with a lifetime of unique memories. Let me know if you have any specific questions.

And you definitely cannot heli ski all winter long.

A couple great days on Sunburst and Pastoral last week.

Hoping tomorrow turns out as planned

So damn close to topping out on Kickstep today. Just makes me want it more.

Killing it as always Mike! That looks like real snow!

to Thatguysaccount:
    That video was fuckin' awesome.
    Lots of good photos on this thread. Moved from AK when I was 3, haven't gotten back but I'm dyin' to! Need to make it happen!

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    Killing it as always Mike! That looks like real snow!
    Thanks AKPM, looking forward to that shoulder healing up so we can get out for some turns. The approaches are brutal right now, all too reminiscent of last year.

Mike, thats a bit of a long walk right now, nicely done dude. Looks pretty good to go, how'd the lower 1/4 of pastoral ski?

I'm skiing as soon as we get enough snow that I don't have to bushwhack alders (dislocated once doing that?!?!) if that happens before I go under the knife...

Its snowing!

There's no alders to deal with on tincan sunburst or sunny side

Thanks... Ya i think we know quite I few of the same people. I won't be back for another 2 weeks but if this weather keeps up I'll be out every chance I get when I get back.

Quote Originally Posted by Thatguysaccount View Post

vimeo.com/113063887
    how did you film that?
    off your knees Louie