Recommendation Big Skier

Hello,

Didn't take care of my Blizzard Argos Titan 187s. They started to delaminate and although i got it fixed, not sure how long they are going to hold up for. I am 6"3 and 240. I really liked this ski and will still use it until it dies. What I am thinking is to pick up a good bargain ski for now in case the blizzard dies and maybe pick up another bargain in another category next season. I prefer powder and trees but am limited to weekends so ski a lot of everything if the snow isn't there. I will be using these mainly at Whistler and may do some trips to Baker or Whitewater.

I am looking for a cheap setup for now. Here are some options I have seen looking around. Comments would be appreciated. I am open to suggestions but am thinking that something good in the soft stuff would be a good idea because the argos are good for days when the snow is not there.

Blizzard Cochise 193 - $299 at local ski shop, honestly, i think this will be too much ski. There is also a pair of 185s on local craigslist with atomic trackers for $550. That seems a little steap for a used setup though.

Elan Spectrum Alu 95/105/115 - $299 at local ski shop. I am concerned with the lack of info/reviews online

Dynastar Big Pow 192 - Have seen these available for around $200ish online. Also a pair on ebay is selling for 330 with Din 18 bindings. I think that is too high for me as i usually set bindings at around a 9 or 10.

Also, as far as bindings go. There are a pair of Attack 16's selling for $190 locally. Should i jump on those? Seems like a decent deal.

I have no idea what kind of skier you are, but I'm about your size and I really like the 2012 and newer 192 Zealot as my daily driver.

cochise 193 should not be a problem for someone your size! it's an easy going crud buster in my opinion!

I'd try to find a last season 198 katana, not sure if this is going for cheap now!

last year 191 wrenegade

or this

http://www.backcountry.com/4frnt-ski...oREaApQF8P8HAQ

lots of options but you need to be in the 190s range not 180s

Hmm. Maybe I will rethink the cochise. Thanks for the suggestions.

Elan Spectrums not good for big person unless big person likes softer finesse

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    praxis RX
    This is actually a really good suggestion, and I am selling a pair here:
    http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...LL-300-OR-LESS!

It's an odd suggestion given how far out of production these are, but I'm roughly your size and have been daily-driving 191 Scott P4's (on my 3rd pair now. as soon as I knew how much I liked these I hoarded some extras and they've proven to be very durable skis) since that ski came out. I go to the 180 Fatypus Alotta (Original, no early rise) on pow days. Both of these skis have a significant amount of sidecut and a flex profile that's pretty soft at the tip, then good and stiff underfoot into the tail. If I were buying something new right now, if I couldn't find another pair of those out of production P4's, I'd get a pair of Lib Tech NAS pows...possibly the freerides...mainly because I like a big tip and a big sidecut on a daily driver.

A lot of people will try to pigeon-hole a big guy into overly stiff, overly burly skis...you have to decide what you want in a ski, you have the mass to easily drive something really demanding but is that your preference? I can ski the stiffest, burliest ski...but those aren't what I feel most comfortable on...yes, even at speed in chop. Actually, especially at speed in chop. I want a float/absorb type of ski, not a drive and slice through type. When I stuff a tip into the face of a bump or a pile of crud I don't want it throwing me into the back seat. Other people are different...so I guess what I'm saying is that your size is far from the only factor here.

edit: just re-read your o.p. for clarity. I think if you're skiing DIN 9-10 at your weight and not constantly pre-releasing you're going to want to avoid the biggest sizes in the burlier skis. If you were skiing the way those skis demand you'd be stepping out of DIN 9 constantly.
    Last edited by ill-advised strategy; 10-27-2014 at 09:57 AM.

I think those RX are a great bet for you.
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty_J View Post
    I think those RX are a great bet for you.
    Hard to go wrong there.

193 Cochise would be a decent choice. Easy to ski but still burly enough at speed. 4frnt devastator 194 is more agile and pivots better and handles softer snow better and can be found pretty cheap. Get decent solly, fks, or marker bindings. Just because you run a lower din, don't go for lighter weight bindings at your size.

Big Dumps. Do it.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

another opinion for Cochise 193's. They're pretty easy to ski. mount them forward a touch for better trees; still good for charging.

Some pretty good choices...

Also...I selling some LPR 115s...unused by myself, 184, mounted 1x for an AT binding...in good condition.
    Sorry, I don't have the exact bsl, but measured in inches...center of hole to center of hole....
    A few small light chips in topskin and a few light scratches...one professional fill(pic)
    $80 + ship (from 04401)

Some random pics, let me know if you want more:
    LPR 115s forsale

Better pic of holes from 1st mount:
    Measurements:
    Center of end hole(toe) to center of end hole(heel): 16.75"
    Center of end hole(toe) to center of inner hole(toe): 3.5"
    Center of end hole(heel) to center of inner hole(heel): 4 1/8"
    Mount Holes
    Last edited by steved; 10-29-2014 at 12:09 AM.