PNW Ski Camps or more low key racing/comps for Kids?

What ski training resources are available to kids that aren't completely committed to ski competitions?

My kids like to ski, but they don't want to commit to rigorous training programs that seem to dominate the scene now. Is there anything between all or nothing in that department?

For example, we do soccer for the fall season, trains 2x a week, one game a week that's local. Fees are reasonable. It's not a "select" soccer program that costs $3k/year and requires training virtually every night and games all over the greater PNW.

My kids are interested, so which ones are more low key or shorter?

(I raced as a kid and did 'freestyle' and saw in that milieu as well as others more recently where parents wreck their kids experience by pushing them too hard...so I'm letting mine decide for themselves.)
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Buster, I'll just tell you about what I'm familiar with, I'm sure there are other programs out there that may suit your kids' needs.

Cmac has a 10 week program that starts early January and runs 10 Saturdays, called Prep program, more free-ski oriented with intro to racing. More time spent free skiing, mixing in some gate training and culminating in a club race on the last weekend.

It's a good program for kids to check out racing, skills taught are same as full program. Drop me a line directly if you'd like more info.
    Our great works of human enterprise will fade away with time. The mountain will endure. ~nps

I know I answered you elsewhere, but northway's absolutely correct about the CMAC prep program. Way more low key and they only compete if they want to. Same with the free ride programs. There's really no pressure and you won't end up a crazy person like me if your kids don't want to compete. I daresay that most of the kids in the free ride programs DON'T actually compete, they just learn how to rip around. There's usually a 'competition' group/coach that specifically is for those that want to. That said, my impression this season, at least for the crystal kids is that most of them who compete on a regular basis are avoiding the programs altogether, so that takes some of the pressure off!

ok, thanks d00ds...
    I think a 10 week commitment is more than they want to do.
    The single or 2 day freeride deal that Ingrid Backstrom does sounds about right.

Anything else in the gates department? Just for a day or weekend kind of thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    ok, thanks d00ds...
    I think a 10 week commitment is more than they want to do.
    The single or 2 day freeride deal that Ingrid Backstrom does sounds about right.

Anything else in the gates department? Just for a day or weekend kind of thing.
    Baker does a 3 day right before Christmas, I don't know if it's open to non team members. They also have multi week kids programs that are not race oriented, from 3 weeks to 8 weeks. Bit of a drive, though. Apparently they are starting a new program this year that gets adults a reduced price if you bring your kids also.

The race teams are not all uber serious. Generally the smaller the mountain, the less serious the program, at least in the PNW. Unfortunately when you get as small as Loup Loup, it may not even run...but that might be because it doesn't snow there.

Mission, Crystal, SPAC and Alpental programs are the most serious in WA. Baker runs every week, but gates there get a second billing to free skiing. White Pass also runs a free ski program.

Bout all I got.
    Living vicariously through myself.

We meant to do camp Bobby this summer up at the lake, but we've got the inlaws farm that keeps us busy between the hiking and camping trips...
    Isn't Mt. Baker in Canada?
    (heh)
    So yeah, I meant to ask about the one shot 1-3 day dealies that don't require being attached to one of the teams.

I swear, every time we go, someone rages up and vehemently asserts haw we got to get our little girl on "THE RACE TEAM" (she rips and took 2nd place in her 12 and under division in Silverton Winterfest last year when she was 10). But she's just not gung ho to commit since she has lots of other stuff she likes to do. So if I could just get her in for a couple of days I think she'd warm up to it. It would be extra cool if I can get here in a group with some ripping girls.

My son, 13, is just low key about skiing and has enough commitments in school/orchestra/indoor soccer that he doesn't want to be stressed about it.
    Last edited by Buster Highmen; 10-27-2014 at 04:51 PM.