Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Winter Proof Hydration Pack with Heater

Every ski season I have the same problem: my hydration bladder's hose or mouthpiece freezes. I've been through it all, leaks, frozen mouthpieces, and frozen hoses. I even use the neoprene insulation offered by Camelbak and use the blow-back technique.

I came across TNF Snowday pack that has a built in heater but it looks like they stopped making it.

I'm wondering if it didn't work or people just didn't find it useful. Please share your experiences, I can't be the only one!

Being an engineer I ordered some parts to built a heated hose. I just wanted to get a feel for the community's interest. I might build some extra for people to test. =)

I just blow the water out of the hose. And tend to ski in conditions warmer than 0F.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Don't use a hydration pack in the winter.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Whiskey doesn't freeze. Don't see the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by LightRanger View Post
    I just blow the water out of the hose. And tend to ski in conditions warmer than 0F.
    Mine still tend to freeze. After blowing it the remaining droplets freeze.

Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post
    Whiskey doesn't freeze. Don't see the problem.
    Haha I've actually considered Whiskey and ginger soda ...it would have all sorts of warming effects

I use a smaller hydration pack (not a full-size day pack), wear a slightly larger jacket and keep the pack under the jacket. Problem solved. I've never had a pack or even the hose freeze, and I've had it in temps down to about -15F.

Quote Originally Posted by boarddad View Post
    I use a smaller hydration pack (not a full-size day pack), wear a slightly larger jacket and keep the pack under the jacket. Problem solved. I've never had a pack or even the hose freeze, and I've had it in temps down to about -15F.
    I never tried that. I usually wear a bigger pack for backcountry. But I'll give it a shot.

If you're talking about lift served skiing, don't wear a hydration back. End of discussion.

For touring, you're probably going to be sweating like a pederast in a preschool, so add some salt to your water to lower the freezing level. Or get a couple of insulated water bottles, fill them with tepid water and mark it zero.

Platypus soft bottle in your jacket pocket for resort skiing.

Water bottle in insulated cozy for touring.

Last thing I want is to carry more shit touring (ie, a heating element).

i just run a tube directly from my wizzer, up through the coat, and bascially create my own dune style water recycling system. start the day with a 32 oz black coffee and then chug a nalgene. ur good to ski to the closing bell and u dont even have to take a piss break.

Fremen Suits FTMFW!!!
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Ha I was wishing for one of those backpacking in the desert last weekend

metal bottles
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

One of those lightweight running hydration vests under the coat? Or this thing: http://shop.camelbak.com/menspowderbak/d/1196_c_141

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    Platypus soft bottle in your jacket pocket for resort skiing.

Water bottle in insulated cozy for touring.

Last thing I want is to carry more shit touring (ie, a heating element).
    Right here. If it is really cold, start with warm water in your water bottles. And, use a thermos for tea. Or...tuck the mouthpiece in your jacket after you blowback if you really need the hydration pack.
    Last edited by Generalstark; 10-24-2014 at 06:52 PM.

Lose the hydration pack and eat snow if you get thirsty. If your needing a hydration pack for inbounds you need to up the cardio training. Or coil the tube inside the pack with a hand warmer, uncoil to drink.

I think I'll try the vest or under jacket method. This is mainly for touring and backcountry stuff. I hate stopping to take water breaks. If the heater doesn't work or is too heavy I'll just use a Nalgene and cozy.

Quote Originally Posted by drowninsnow View Post
    I think I'll try the vest or under jacket method. This is mainly for touring and backcountry stuff. I hate stopping to take water breaks. If the heater doesn't work or is too heavy I'll just use a Nalgene and cozy.
    Use a cozy that straps onto the outside of your pack. Put it on the hipbelt or side of the pack where you can reach it without taking your pack off. I drink way more water than any of my partners and this system works great for me.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    Use a cozy that straps onto the outside of your pack. Put it on the hipbelt or side of the pack where you can reach it without taking your pack off. I drink way more water than any of my partners and this system works great for me.
    That's a good idea since its accessible without taking the pack off. Looks like I just wasted some money on this heating project.

I've struggled with this also. If I use a bottle, I generally don't stop to drink enough. Bladder helps as long as it doesn't freeze... I bought a BCA stash pack that has the shoulder strap with drinking hose insert built in. Does the trick perfectly. My body heat keeps the house in the sleeve warm enough to drink out of. I'm thinking of buying the next iteration of the stash pack, so if you're looking for a good deal on a pack that will solve this problem, shoot me a pm.

Seth

I've got the BCA Stash w/ the tube inside one of the shoulder straps / zipper too. Works perfectly no matter the temp w cold water. This should be a standard feature in all packs set up for hydration.

just eat snow you pussies!

I'm actually a fan of having a super small stove system on longer tours so nice to have a hot lunch, and refill the water bottles!
    Its not that I suck at spelling, its that I just don't care

Quote Originally Posted by drowninsnow View Post
    I think I'll try the vest or under jacket method. .
    I have a brand new, never used Camelbak Powderbak ($100 retail) that I'm trying to sell right now. Let me know if you're interested. I can do like $50.

Quote Originally Posted by sal the salmon View Post
    i just run a tube directly from my wizzer, up through the coat, and bascially create my own dune style water recycling system. start the day with a 32 oz black coffee and then chug a nalgene. ur good to ski to the closing bell and u dont even have to take a piss break.
    Quote Originally Posted by LightRanger View Post
    Fremen Suits FTMFW!!!

He will know your ways as if born to them.
    In search of the elusive artic powder weasel ...

Muadib.