Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

One Day in Utah - Where to Ski?

So the wife and I are going to visit some family in TX right after Christmas, so we decided we're going to load up the skis and hit up a place in UT, CO, and NM on our way through. I know the conditions won't be prime just yet, and we're totally fine with that since we have all winter/spring to ski at home. We've already decided on 2 days at Wolf Creek for our Colorado stop (staying at the springs. Woohoo!), and 1 day at Taos for our New Mexico stop. So now the question remains, what hill do we check out in Utah? Keep in mind, we are only skiing 1 day in Utah. We are open to pretty much anything, so just wanted to hear what the collective's opinions are on where we should ski. We're thinking Solitude, maybe Alta. Thoughts?

FWIW, we love mom & pop hills too, and don't need gazillions of acres or the most gnar terrain, as it's only one day. Wherever we get the best smile:turn ratio, we'll be stoked.

cant help you on UT but if storm is brewing for Wolf, stay on east side of pass......

Either one of those would be the ticket. The Park City side will be rather thin. Soli will be less crowded, unless its a week day, then either will be fine.
    Johnny's only sin was dispair

My lone Utah trip was Alta:Solitude:Snowbird:Snowbasin, and we loved all of them. Didn't hurt that we were skiing 18-24" for four days in a row. Can't go wrong with any of them, IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

^^ What he said. I will say, Alta is kind of a bucket list experience so if you haven't been before I recommend it. Despite the douchey reputation it's a really fun resort to ski.

I'd ski Alta, but it's no Taos...

especially that time of year, thank god.
    Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!

Quote Originally Posted by hawkgt View Post
    if storm is brewing for Wolf, stay on east side of pass......
    This. The hot springs are nice and all, but the west side of the pass closes in any decent storm, east side they'll let you get to the ski area.

Also, WC is slammed with Texans around the holidays. Get there early, pack a lunch, head straight to Alberta lift and avoid the base area at all costs until about 3pm unless you enjoy really long lift lines.

My wife I and spent three days at Alta last season in February it dumped non stop the whole time we were there 24"- 36" blower. We skied until we couldn't stand up!!!! Loved the Supreme Chair. One of the locals told us that between Christmas and a week after new years is the best time to go no lines and plenty of POW. We stayed about 15 minutes from the lodge at the Super8 for about 60 dollars a night was very clean. We got our lift tickets from Liftopia. IMHO If no matter where you go if there is POWDER, Local Beer and friendly folks. Your going to have fun. Alta had this in Spades.

Cheers,
    Chuck & Crystal Reese
    Last edited by reesenmt; 10-24-2014 at 01:07 PM.

Skied Alta last year during thanksgiving and it was not bad for early season. At the time it had more runs open in then PC. IMO, the Bird is where it is at if you have the snow cover, Steep fast runs. I would pay a little more and get the Alta/Snowbird pass for the day.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    ^^ What he said. I will say, Alta is kind of a bucket list experience so if you haven't been before I recommend it. Despite the douchey reputation it's a really fun resort to ski.
    Don't let Alta's douchey rep perturb you; waaaaaaaay overblown. As a hard gaping touron who's skied easily 50+ days there, I've never gotten any attitude from anyone. For the most part, nothing but miles of smiles.

Anyhew, you can't go wrong with Alta or the Bird.

Quote Originally Posted by hawkgt View Post
    cant help you on UT but if storm is brewing for Wolf, stay on east side of pass......
    Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    This. The hot springs are nice and all, but the west side of the pass closes in any decent storm, east side they'll let you get to the ski area.

Also, WC is slammed with Texans around the holidays. Get there early, pack a lunch, head straight to Alberta lift and avoid the base area at all costs until about 3pm unless you enjoy really long lift lines.
    That's cool. I'll just chill out in the springs all day if the pass is closed, and will just hit up WC on my way back through. Been to WC before, and love it, but man are those springs something else. I'm happy either way. Not too worried about the crowds. WC on "crowded" days are still far better than the least crowded days at other Texas jongfests like Copper and Breck. Ever been to Copper during Texas' spring break? Oh man, now THAT sucks. Haha.

Looking forward to going back there, though. What a fantastic hill. One of my all time favs...along with Taos, of course.

As you guys keep talking it up, I'm really liking the idea of Alta more and more. Lift ticket prices are surprisingly not too bad either, at least not when compared to Big Sky. Will probably make reservations at that close Super 8 reesenmt suggested. That chain's never let me down for a cheap, clean place to crash on a road trip.

Ski anywhere in Utah you want, as long as it is Alta/Bird.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by ahlerscurtis View Post
    Skied Alta last year during thanksgiving and it was not bad for early season. At the time it had more runs open in then PC. IMO, the Bird is where it is at if you have the snow cover, Steep fast runs. I would pay a little more and get the Alta/Snowbird pass for the day.
    There is literally no way to see Alta and Snowbird in one day that will give you any sense of either hill. Choose one and save your money for the bar afterwards.

ETA: Soli is a really fun place to ski, and BCC will stay open longer on a snowy day than Alta will. Alta is a bucket list place, but you are sort of rolling the dice that LCC will be open if it starts to dump.

Quote Originally Posted by Phildo_Baggins View Post
    There is literally no way to see Alta and Snowbird in one day that will give you any sense of either hill. Choose one and save your money for the bar afterwards.

ETA: Soli is a really fun place to ski, and BCC will stay open longer on a snowy day than Alta will. Alta is a bucket list place, but you are sort of rolling the dice that LCC will be open if it starts to dump.
    The inverse of that is that you roll the dice on getting stuck in Alta after a day of skiing because it's dumping. If we're talking skier "bucket list" experiences, sleeping on the floor of the GMD while a storm is raging has to right near the top.

Alta and B*RIGHT*ON seem to have the best early season snow. If it dumps, then I'd head for the Bird.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    The inverse of that is that you roll the dice on getting stuck in Alta after a day of skiing because it's dumping. If we're talking skier "bucket list" experiences, sleeping on the floor of the GMD while a storm is raging has to right near the top.
    Yeah, or staying up there and hoping for a road closure to get locals laps all morning.

Alta

Canyons! Park City! Deer Valley!

But seriously, Bird / Alta.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    far as turns to smiles days fk always delivers 4 me
    if ya don't need gnars argenta will do it 4 you
    open to anything?
    lone pk to a crows foot exit.
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Quote Originally Posted by Patarero View Post
    Alta
    Since your driving there's really no reason to make the call until a day or two out.

LCC is usually the call, but if they have good Snow, Snowbasin handles the crowds better.

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    Since your driving there's really no reason to make the call until a day or two out.

LCC is usually the call, but if they have good Snow, Snowbasin handles the crowds better.
    ^^^^ Winner..... Why commit now?
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion View Post
    ^^^^ Winner..... Why commit now?
    Not going to commit on a particular resort just yet, but I DID need to at least reserve a place to stay. Christmas week makes it tough to get a room last minute, so I went ahead and lined up all my hotel stays along the way. Last time I drove cross country, I made the mistake of not planning out my stops, and ended driving from South Texas to Montana non-stop because I seriously couldn't find a single hotel room from Denver on up.

Staying in Sandy FWIW.

Why not Pow Mow? If you want mom and pop there or Brighton have the best vibes.

+1 for pow mow... doesn't compare to altabird terrainwise but there are a few shots and there is lightning ridge for hiking and hopefully they still have the $10 cat rides which would be a hoot for a one day trip... (I say hopefully cause I have a stack of unused vouchers lol)
    "Those 1%ers are not an avaricious "them" but in reality the most entrepreneurial of "us". If we had more of them and fewer grandstanding politicians, we would all be better off."
    - Bradley Schiller, Prof. of Economics, Univ. Nevada - Reno.

Pow Mow sounds great. Too bad it's kind of on the opposite side of town from where we're staying. Hopefully I can hit it up on my way back through town, though, and if not this trip, then definitely on the next one. Looked up the place and it definitely looks like it'd be more than perfect for a day or two!