Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

On tech bindings

From Lou

https://www.wildsnow.com/14834/tech-...-skiing-facts/

and read this especially at least for awareness

6. There has never been a major brand tech binding design family, of any brand, that did not have subsequently corrected problems in the first retail versions..

and this

TGR-wannabes and [my addition] expert skiers commonly adjust their binding release values to excessively high settings, thus obviating any meaningful comparison of safety between binding types and models.
    Last edited by LeeLau; 10-24-2014 at 02:42 PM.

But skiing with the toe throws in the up position look so much cooler.

The 'wanna be' cracked me up.
    Johnny's only sin was dispair

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    TGR-wannabes and [my addition] expert skiers commonly adjust their binding release values to excessively high settings, thus obviating any meaningful comparison of safety between binding types and models.
    IMPOSSIBLE!

6. There has never been a major brand tech binding design family, of any brand, that did not have subsequently corrected problems in the first retail versions.
    Many brands seem to have a first gen offering this season. (Except maybe Plum, but after their brake fiasco, they don't count anymore. )

So if you own new skis, your choices are to mount a first gen model, or an existing model that may be obsolete in 2 years. Or mount with a model you don't really like.

I'm taking the G3 ION plunge myself. It is new, but still based pretty much on a proven system. Other first gen offerings have too many new and fancy moving parts in their race to innovate. I think they need time in the market.
    Life is not lift served.

I'll test the G3s this year. But carefully. Ditto the Vipec

Mine will get a lot of use, but in a relatively of demand winter touring application. Hopefully by the time spring comes around I'll have enough confidence to use them (or not) when the consequences of failure are much higher.

In winter touring, undesirable quirks aside, my expectations are: don't break or fail in the field due to poor design or materials. Release properly if I crash.

I saw a person this year using Plums whilst skiing from a hut. In one day, both toe levers suddenly refused to lock out into tour mode. That person had to boot-pack for their turns. That kind of failure is unacceptable.
    Life is not lift served.

On tech bindings

Since we're talking about it, will be testing ATK Raiders this year (and Beasts, if those don't work out).

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    is this a captain obvious clickbait psa or
    lee lau e -fellating lou again?
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Yes, time for you to smoke another drug SLCFB and chill.

All pertinent info. Tech and touring designs continue to E volve.

Hopes for the future but we all be getting older so me is gonna get out on what i gots.

Liking that nu G3 gizmo but the previous offering was a stinker.

TgrwannabeesRus
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    is this a captain obvious clickbait psa or
    lee lau e -fellating lou again?
    The former. But if it was so obvious why do people fall for it again and again and again?

I'm going to jack this thread momentarily apologies.
    Lee how do you rank the stiffness of the synapse 109s? I just wish to ensure they are not noodles and can handle steepish midwinter descents in soft styrofoam conditions such as one might encounter in Rogers Pass during high pressure glory weeks. I wish they had just reduced the weight more significantly on the district as I love that type of ski profile, but alas a man can only dream.
    I use LO5s and voile drifters currently and am looking for a lighter more versatile pow ski to replace my aging drifters.
    Resume talking about buying first gen bindings.
    I will most likely be getting the ions myself this winter, I pray there are no long term durability issues with them.

The former. But if it was so obvious why do people fall for it again and again and again?
    Thanks, Lee.

Note to myself, don't be enthusiastic on TGR or discuss anything remotely resembling skiing.
    Life is not lift served.

Quote Originally Posted by neck beard View Post
    Note to myself, don't be enthusiastic on TGR or discuss anything remotely resembling skiing.
    Surfing and clown biking banter is always pertinent -
    Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Natures peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn. - John Muir

"How long can it last? For fuck sake this isn't heroin -
    suck it up princess" - XXX on getting off mj

“This is infinity here,” he said. “It could be infinity. We don’t really don’t know. But it could be. It has to be something — but it could be infinity, right?” - Trump, on the vastness of space, man

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    aint ski season here yet
    either fish or click bait
    or chum pellet heads with dog food
    of course those cubical bred stuck in a concrete tailrace waitin to be set free feesches
    are gonna bite again and again
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Thanks, Lee.

Remember kids, skiing is serious business.
    Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    aint ski season here yet
    either fish or click bait
    or chum pellet heads with dog food
    of course those cubical bred stuck in a concrete tailrace waitin to be set free feesches
    are gonna bite again and again
    Hey now, I resemble some of that...

Quote Originally Posted by Skier of the Hood View Post
    I'm going to jack this thread momentarily apologies.
    Lee how do you rank the stiffness of the synapse 109s? I just wish to ensure they are not noodles and can handle steepish midwinter descents in soft styrofoam conditions such as one might encounter in Rogers Pass during high pressure glory weeks. I wish they had just reduced the weight more significantly on the district as I love that type of ski profile, but alas a man can only dream.
    I use LO5s and voile drifters currently and am looking for a lighter more versatile pow ski to replace my aging drifters.
    Resume talking about buying first gen bindings.
    I will most likely be getting the ions myself this winter, I pray there are no long term durability issues with them.

I haven't been on the Synapse yet. My G3 Zenoxides were stiff and was told the Synapses were comparable

Mine will get a lot of use, but in a relatively of demand winter touring application. Hopefully by the time spring comes around I'll have enough confidence to use them (or not) when the consequences of failure are much higher.

In winter touring, undesirable quirks aside, my expectations are: don't break or fail in the field due to poor design or materials. Release properly if I crash.

I saw a person this year using Plums whilst skiing from a hut. In one day, both toe levers suddenly refused to lock out into tour mode. That person had to boot-pack for their turns. That kind of failure is unacceptable.
    Did the guy with the Plums know that the levers need to be lubricated periodically to work?

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by 2wheeler View Post
    Did the guy with the Plums know that the levers need to be lubricated periodically to work?
    don't all bindings suggest periodic, appropriate, lubrication of moving parts? or is this the TGR gear-schizophrenia where people will spend $40 on epoxy to mount their bindings (which they leave in a closet for years and use) but not pay a modicum of general attention to see that things are actually still working well?

Thank (H)Ullr for all the super technical, technical support provided by Hugh Conway. Not only for ski related matters, but life in general.

Quote Originally Posted by 2wheeler View Post
    Knows now. But I doubt many 2nd-3rd-4th-hand buyers know that when they buy them.
    Life is not lift served.

Never skiied on tech bindings yet (wating for praxis bc) and reading article i am seriously consider not to take beast 16 as used for groomers as well.

A.

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    should be waiting on the praxis Rx instead, A.
    I am not sure what are you trying to say ... Except that rx is praxis model...

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by tuco View Post
    Thank (H)Ullr for all the super technical, technical support provided by Hugh Conway. Not only for ski related matters, but life in general.
    where the fuck would they be without you guiding them that I suck?

Not that you know fuck all about AT bindings at all right tele-twat?

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    don't all bindings suggest periodic, appropriate, lubrication of moving parts?
    Pretty sure we need a 15 page thread in tech talk about the correct lube to use on tech bindings. Another thread just for frame bindings.

Synthetic vs organic. Heavy Oil vs Grease. Powdered teflon vs melted wax.....

Quote Originally Posted by shirk View Post
    Pretty sure we need a 15 page thread in tech talk about the correct lube to use on tech bindings. Another thread just for frame bindings.

Synthetic vs organic. Heavy Oil vs Grease. Powdered teflon vs melted wax.....
    Plums are french - all you need is a drizzle of olive oil