Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Olive oil in France? Bullshit. You should use truffle oil.
    Life is not lift served.

Yeah, I'm going to roll the dice with a new unproven tech binding of some sort. I've really only ever owned Dynafit's or frames so my overall experience with the many different flavors is fairly limited, but I know what I like ...

I actually do need something that goes higher than the "12" of the FT - not because I'm so gnar, but because i'm not a small man, Jenny. I really don't like the specter of walking out of my skis constantly hanging over me, and it does (i ski a lot w/ the toes locked even though that's only part of the problem ...).

I was going to go with the Beast, but I'm probably one the very few Marker fans here so I'm betting on the Kingpin not to screw me over with first model year woes. We'll see ...
    Who cares how the crow flies

Quote Originally Posted by neck beard View Post
    Olive oil in France? Bullshit. You should use truffle oil.
    Or butter, lots of it.

What that diet does is make for a less fat skier which means 10 or 12 din will be enough whereas in America ... 16
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by YoEddy View Post
    Yeah, I'm going to roll the dice with a new unproven tech binding of some sort. I've really only ever owned Dynafit's or frames so my overall experience with the many different flavors is fairly limited, but I know what I like ...

I actually do need something that goes higher than the "12" of the FT - not because I'm so gnar, but because i'm not a small man, Jenny. I really don't like the specter of walking out of my skis constantly hanging over me, and it does (i ski a lot w/ the toes locked even though that's only part of the problem ...).

I was going to go with the Beast, but I'm probably one the very few Marker fans here so I'm betting on the Kingpin not to screw me over with first model year woes. We'll see ...
    Have you seen this? http://www.jmcresearch.com/static/dw...20bindings.pdf

So unless you happen to have small feet and are a ' Type 3: Few skiers in this category; racers, extreme skiers, prepared to take risks, ski at high speeds. ' you should really be around a DIN 10.

More than that and I would say you are not being very rational about DIN choices. Also, the fear of 'walking out' of your skis is generally taken care of by locking the toes when skinning. Not related to DIN settings.

Quote Originally Posted by timmaio View Post
    Have you seen this? http://www.jmcresearch.com/static/dw...20bindings.pdf

So unless you happen to have small feet and are a ' Type 3: Few skiers in this category; racers, extreme skiers, prepared to take risks, ski at high speeds. ' you should really be around a DIN 10.

More than that and I would say you are not being very rational about DIN choices. Also, the fear of 'walking out' of your skis is generally taken care of by locking the toes when skinning. Not related to DIN settings.
    LOL. At one point I knew the DIN charts for each of the manufacturers by memory, so yeah I've seen this more than a few times.

I can't speak for the rest of the +10 DIN population out there, but I'm not who you generalized me to be, which is why I included the "... not because I'm so gnar" comment. I'm actually quite rational about the DIN setting I need. As stated, I'm not a small man, and according to the type 3 category the only thing that doesn't apply is a small foot.

I walk out of the FT's with the toes locked while skiing, not walking. I'm certain a large part of my issue is related to the elasticity of the FT's, or lack thereof, but they go hand in hand. This is why I zeroed in on the Beast and Kingpin - not because of the DIN per se but because they apparently have more elasticity with higher DIN.

LOL. At one point I knew the DIN charts for each of the manufacturers by memory, so yeah I've seen this more than a few times.

I can't speak for the rest of the +10 DIN population out there, but I'm not who you generalized me to be, which is why I included the "... not because I'm so gnar" comment. I'm actually quite rational about the DIN setting I need. As stated, I'm not a small man, and according to the type 3 category the only thing that doesn't apply is a small foot.

I walk out of the FT's with the toes locked while skiing, not walking. I'm certain a large part of my issue is related to the elasticity of the FT's, or lack thereof, but they go hand in hand. This is why I zeroed in on the Beast and Kingpin - not because of the DIN per se but because they apparently have more elasticity with higher DIN.
    This elasticity is what I'm most scared about looking at my first pair of tech bindings ever... I don't consider myself 'gnar' but yeah.. not a small guy who does take some chances.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

I walk out of the FT's with the toes locked while skiing, not walking.
    Walk out? Repeatedly? Toes were locked out so had a vertical release at the heel? I've gotten in a hole and bounced out a few times (and I too am a big guy). But walking out? Not getting this.

Yup - i usually ski alpine at 8 but have to ski Dynafits at 10 to keep from blowing up out of them. That teeth-rattling lack of any kind of damping no doubt doesn't help. The Beast was my first tech binding with elasticity. This year the Ion, Vipec and Radical FT 2.0 are supposed to have some sort of elasticity and it'll be interesting to see how that goes.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    Yup - i usually ski alpine at 8 but have to ski Dynafits at 10 to keep from blowing up out of them. That teeth-rattling lack of any kind of damping no doubt doesn't help. The Beast was my first tech binding with elasticity. This year the Ion, Vipec and Radical FT 2.0 are supposed to have some sort of elasticity and it'll be interesting to see how that goes.
    Thanks, that statement probably saved me a few hours of 'research'
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Yeah yeah, as I said I sometimes blow out of them getting out of a hole and seen guys with fore-aft herky-jerky style blow out of them more often than I do. But walking out?

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Steve View Post
    Yeah yeah, as I said I sometimes blow out of them getting out of a hole and seen guys with fore-aft herky-jerky style blow out of them more often than I do. But walking out?
    a toe fitting that's as worn and beat out as tuco's cornhole? or some other malfunction?

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    a toe fitting that's as worn and beat out as tuco's cornhole? or some other malfunction?
    Could also be misaligned toe fittings. I've seen that with BD boots. There's no tech fitting toe standard and that gets screwed up entirely too much.

Boots are Vulcans so not misaligned, and not at all worn. Style isn't herky jerky, but I do generate some power (perhaps too much so, but it's DNA at this point).

That said, probably a bad choice of words on my part from old racing habit. For me "walking out" of a binding isn't as passive as suggested, but more of a quick, but sharp action at GS+ speeds. That sharp action could be a terrain change, rut, bump, whatever, but my point is that I can't trust I'll stay in the binding like I would over the same terrain with alpine bindings set to my old age lucky 13 (see, very scientific).

So, like I said I change the way I ski on the FT's, and I'm learning to slow it down a bit ... until of course my instincts take over, I forget what equipment I'm on, and next thing I know I'm doing the running man into something at speed.

I suspect from a pure measured torque daN-m release value that a 12 DIN alpine binding and a "12"-ish AT binding like the FT are not the same - anyone ever test just the vertical heel release value for an FT or similar? It certainly doesn't feel as hard to pull up out of. Anyway, add the lack of elasticity and, yeah ... I'm looking for a 13 DIN AT binding, which AFAIK there are only two - the Beast and the Kingpin. And it's not just to be gnar with the highest DIN in the room

On dynafits does anybody adjust the vertical release a little higher than their normal alpine din to stop pre-release?

I usually ski a 7 DIN alpine, on one setup I just checked which was working great last season I had backed off the lateral 1 DIN (not sure how that happened!?) and turned the vertical up 1 DIN for a setting of 6 lateral and 8 vertical for a 2 din difference AND I was staying in fine

hope that makes sense
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    On dynafits does anybody adjust the vertical release a little higher than their normal alpine din to stop pre-release?

I usually ski a 7 DIN alpine, on one setup I just checked which was working great last season I had backed off the lateral 1 DIN (not sure how that happened!?) and turned the vertical up 1 DIN for a setting of 6 lateral and 8 vertical for a 2 din difference AND I was staying in fine

hope that makes sense
    I do that Al