daytime shifts for a 7 day a week business?

Anybody worked a place that had shifts figured out good for a 7 day business?

Ours is everybody works full days mon through fri, and half days sat. Sunday is one guys turn every 4 to 6 weeks.

Worst part of this system is the Saturdays, have to take off to get a decent weekend.

Know of better way?

I've seen all kinds of variations on this. It really depends on the needs of the business. How much staff is needed on Saturdays and Sundays compared to M-F. I've always thought, because this is what people I work for tell me, that the best schedules are those where some people move their weekend. There is always someone willing to work Sat-Sun so they can fish/ski/bike/climb/whatever on weekdays when the woods and rivers are less crowded. If the business needs more than one person on weekend days, then it can set up several schedules, most people work M-F, some work Sat-Weds, or Tues-Sat, or Sun-Thurs.

In your case it sounds like you need a fair numbe r of people on Sat, but only one on Sunday. So give somebody a Sun-Thurs schedule, and then give a Tue-Sat schedule to as many as are needed to staff saturday. If necessary, you might even find someone willing to volunteer to break up their weekend and take, say, Tues and Thurs off.

Are these jobs paid hourly? If so, the business can save a lot of money by reducing overtime with a well thought out schedule. Regardless, a five day workweek definitely makes for a happier workforce.

4 on / 3 off, rotate through full year. set sched and let people trade. but really depends on business and employees......

My wife works at a public library and the schedule and staffing is consistent on every day. She works every other weekend. The weeks she works the weekend she has the monday and friday off. Week 1-MTWThS Week 2-SuTWThF. It kind of sucks to have to work every other weekend (especially for me because I am a single dad on those days), but it is the best they could come up with.

How many hours a day are you open? It sounds like the weekends don't need as much staff, is that right?

I managed a store with three assistant managers. We worked a rotation where we had every other weekend off, with a three-day weekend every four weeks. Open 7-9pm M-S, at least one manager opened, only one closed. One manager on Sundays (10-6), two on Saturdays. It worked well.

Yeah, not enough info. What's the hours/FTE requirements for each day?
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

PM 4matic.

Business is a feedlot/farm, with 4 to 6 workers. Cattle and irrigation are the things that require 365 days.

Hours are 8 to 7 mon to fri, and 8 to 12 sat. Winter is 8 to 6, and 8 to 12. Guys are salary, and overtime isn't an issue. Often an hour less during weekdays non busy times, and way way more during planting/harvest times.

In a perfect world we wouldn't need everybody on a Saturday. Most go smoothly, and everybody is chomping at the bit to go home. Murphy's trainwreck days are all hands on deck and lucky if done by 12.

So far, James may have the best solution? Let the guys pick their poison. Some have kids and want to go to the kid stuff, some have wives with cushy 4 day a week jobs, I'm the skier and hate weekends.

can you rotate which 5 of the 7 days people work?

some work M - F
    some work Tue-Sat
    some work Wed-Sun
    some work Th-M
    etc

is it too anarchic to ask the employees how they'd like to do it? seems their happiness (thus, productivity) would depend on their having rotations that make sense to them.

Hire only employees that are on a paleo diet, hence no need for a feed lot, hence no need for a schedule, hence no need for employees. Problem solved.

Besides, you will be so sick of their self righteousness you will want to fire them all, again, problem solved.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Hire a weekend worker.

Quote Originally Posted by creaky fossil View Post
    can you rotate which 5 of the 7 days people work?

some work M - F
    some work Tue-Sat
    some work Wed-Sun
    some work Th-M
    etc

is it too anarchic to ask the employees how they'd like to do it? seems their happiness (thus, productivity) would depend on their having rotations that make sense to them.

Everybody knows the Saturday sucks, and we have talked to the guys some, but nobody has come up with a good solution. 2 of the guys had a idea of what they thought would work, but it wouldn't work for anybody else.

Basically we've got 2 guys that would work anytime, the rest will pine for a mon to fri and put up with the way it is.

Thaaaanks

We work 24/7 with 4 crews, 4 days on, 4 days off. 2 Weekes of day shift, 2 weeks of night shift. You end up with your week starting 1 days later each week. IE this week we were on Tues -fri. Next week it will be Wed-sat.
    Quote Originally Posted by Smoke
    Cell phones are great in the backcountry. If you're injured, you can use them to play Tetris, which helps pass the time while waiting for cold embrace of Death to envelop you.

In golf maintenance we have an A crew and B crew. Each crew works alternating Tu-F with weekend off one week, then M-F half Sat half Sun the following week. Then repeat with the Mon off, etc. So 3 full days off each two week period. Problems are we are thin Sun-Mon every week but make do.

Quote Originally Posted by Like a Boss View Post
    In golf maintenance we have an A crew and B crew. Each crew works alternating Tu-F with weekend off one week, then M-F half Sat half Sun the following week. Then repeat with the Mon off, etc. So 3 full days off each two week period. Problems are we are thin Sun-Mon every week but make do.

Was getting ready to do the math on exactly what you guys are doing, only with a 3 crew rotation.

Like you say, thin though. Our thin is that 2 guy's jobs are higher skill, and while the other guys can do it, if they do it very long things start to fall apart.

THANKS GUYS! Need to break out a calendar, calculator, and see if I can make something work?