Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Volvo XC60 AWD w/ i6 as a ski area car

Anyone have one in the mountains? I like the look. Should this veh (either with i6 or R-design) be a contender? How does it shape up with the rest of the smaller crossover/SAV/SUV? I hear that it is great off road and in snow...
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

I have the wife in the 14 5 cylinder turbo. Feels top heavy and you must keep the powerplant spinning in the upper ranges to get it moving.
    First gear is way to tall for anything but dry conditions. Plenty of ground clearance and the safety record makes me feel better when she's
    transporting the tweener teams around. Previous ride was an Acura MDX and the Volvo transmits way less road noise. She took out a stop
    sign U-Channel with the rear passenger door as she passed through an intersection sideways last winter. Took some paint off, but
    barely left a crease.
    ​I am not in your hurry

I like the new look too. But - it's too small for carrying dogs around, isn't it?

Still have the R-Class for that. I would go for another Allroad, but I don't buy cars with 2L 4 cyl. engines. Hey, do you still have that rocking dog. Was it a hit?
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    I don't buy cars with 2L 4 cyl. engines.
    Who of us would after the tough years of struggling through dentistry school.

Still have the R-Class for that
    21st century solution.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Fuck yeah.....but it was law school.

Anyone have one in the mountains? I like the look. Should this veh (either with i6 or R-design) be a contender? How does it shape up with the rest of the smaller crossover/SAV/SUV? I hear that it is great off road and in snow...
    While I have yet to drive the XC60, I've been very impressed with my XC70 (NA i6)and believe they have similar if not identical AWD systems. Whether dealing with foot deep slush on rutted out forest service trails in the spring time, plowing its way through deep snow getting out of the driveway and my street and up to the resort on deep powder days, or glare ice on winding mountain highways, my XC has handled it all like a champ (with proper snow tires, of course). I would not hesitate to buy an XC60 like you're looking at. The Swedes seem to know a thing or two about winter driving, so they build a VERY competent mountain car. LOVE how freaking roomy my 70 is, too. Plenty of room for the dogs in the back, and I usually use it to haul lumber as it's way bigger than my SUV. At least on the inside. Great design all the way around. I just wish it had a stick as it's slow as balls, so whatever you do, get the turbo.

Austin, thanks for the review.

Schindler, many of your problems or concerns seem to stem from having too much money and needing to remind everyone of that. Kthnxbai.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Sorry. That's not my intention, and I don't have that many problems. But thank you for counting my $. There is not that much of it. You can consider me Walter Mitty.
    When did I ever say that I was considering such a lavish automobile? FYI (though none of your business), my R-class has about 100K on it.

2012 XC60 T6. Blizzaks in winter. Crushes. Found nothing to critique. Best car I have ever owned. Do a lot of winter driving. Saabs and Subarus prior. Go test drive one. No worries w snow performance w winter tires.
    Uno mas

Touché, Monsieur!
    No longer stuck.

Just an uneducated guess.

Schindler, many of your problems or concerns seem to stem from having too much money and needing to remind everyone of that. Kthnxbai.
    buddy has cash flow & good credit ... not the same as too much money
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Volvo XC60 AWD w/ i6 as a ski area car

I've had an xc70 for 6 years now from new, euro turbo diesel 5cyl. As long as you don't mind the length and avg fuel economy, I think it's probably one of the best options out there for a ski/bike car. Tons of space, super comfy and safe. I've never gotten stuck and never pulled out the chains (I do use snow tires) in anything from black ice to 3-4 feet of fresh. It has a low center of gravity considering how much ground clearance it has. It's an old design but still a goody.

Edit- with the pass thru, I never had even needed a ski box.
    'waxman is correct, and so far with 40+ days of tasting them there is no way my tongue can tell the difference between wood, and plastic made to taste like wood...but i'm a weirdo and lick my gear...' -kidwoo

Quote Originally Posted by ulty_guy View Post
    Edit- with the pass thru, I never had even needed a ski box.
    Oh yeah. The 40-20-40 split rear seat is awesome. It's the only car I've ever seen that does that. Actually, the mechanics for all the seats of the car is the best I've ever seen on ANY vehicle by far. You can use just the pass through OR flip the whole middle section of the rear bench down. It's also nice that I can fold the front passenger seat forward almost flat which really comes in handy for hauling 2x4s. I have an SUV, but find mind myself using the Volvo way more for all my major hauling needs. It's made me realize that I need to get rid of my SUV as soon as I can afford a replacement. The XC70 doesn't get the best mpg, but the 24-26 I get in it is better than the 18 I get in the other ride. Ugh, I need an economical car.

Wife used to have a XC90 T6 . We traded it in on a new Outback.
    She kinda misses the added weight(sure-footedness?) of the Volvo. It was pretty good in the snow/ice with winter tires. I prefer the feel of the Subaru AWD system.

We don't miss the economy of the Volvo though. 89 octane in the T6, and it was a bit of a pig.
    It doesn't matter if you're a king or a little street sweeper...
    ...sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper
    -Death

Quote Originally Posted by St. Jerry View Post
    The other morning I was awoken to "Daddy, my fart fell on the floor"
    Kaz is my co-pilot

Quote Originally Posted by AustinFromSA View Post
    The 40-20-40 split rear seat is awesome. It's the only car I've ever seen that does that.
    Really? A ton of cars do that. My 4Runner does it and so do a ton of other modern wagons, crossovers, and SUVs. Not shitting on the XC, it's on the short list for our next car in 2-3 years, but just kind of surprised you hadn't seen it elsewhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Quote Originally Posted by LightRanger View Post
    Really? A ton of cars do that. My 4Runner does it and so do a ton of other modern wagons, crossovers, and SUVs. Not shitting on the XC, it's on the short list for our next car in 2-3 years, but just kind of surprised you hadn't seen it elsewhere.
    Yeah. Most vehicles I've seen have the 60-40 split. Didn't know the 4R did that, though. It's really a nice feature to have. I also love that you don't have to do a bunch of seat gymnastics to lay them down like you do in so many other vehicles. You just pull the lever and down it goes. Flat. Even if other vehicles do have the 40-20-40 split, I still maintain that the mechanisms of the Volvo seats are the best out there...that I've seen. They just feel so solid, like the rest of the car.

Cool. I'll check out the mechanism on it. Pretty stoked with the 4Runner fold. Simple latch on the back of the seat. Vastly different from my two prior vehicles--but they were much older.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Pretty stoked with the 4Runner fold. Simple latch on the back of the seat.
    As it should be! Toyota's always done a good job with simplicity. Unlike mine and many older SUVs that require like 5 different maneuvers and a diagram to figure out how to fold the stupid seats down. Haha.

Vastly different from my two prior vehicles--but they were much older.
    Maybe that's my problem. I haven't tinkered around with the latest cars very much, so most of my experience might be a bit outdated.

Random thoughts.

I've been driving a 2010 XC90 for four years now. 115,000 miles with only costs being tires and rear brakes. Never used dedicated snow tires and have had no problems in the snow (just NH snow though). All services were covered for the first 60K. Maintenance is expensive at the dealer, but pretty basic. Since passing 60K I have done everything myself.

Drove the XC60 as a loaner car a couple times when I was getting service done. Sweet ride for sure. The T6 is 300 hp and the Polestar upgrade is 325.

My mother-in-law has a 2008 XC70 with over 150K. She does practically zero maintenance and the only issue she has had is a failed rear wiper.

After driving the car, here are my thoughts:
    1) Ride: The car is not under powered for what it is. The 300bhp is adequate, and actually quite good. I actually like the ride more than the M-B GLK and the BMW X3 in that it feels heavier, and less racy. There is a bit of disconnect feel with the pavement (not floaty), but this is not meant to drive like a Porsche or a sporty sedan. On the whole, I was very impressed with the entire ride; however, I thought that the brakes could have a bit more initial stopping power. I like my brakes to be very sensitive, and these were not. More like driving a Jaguar, as opposed to a BMW.

2) Comfort: The seats are among the most comfortable and sturdy when compared to any german import. People seem to complain about the console, but I found nothing to complain about. The buttons take a bit of getting used to, but no big deal at all. I can't imagine any comfort problems with 2 passengers driving this car cross-country. The back seats could use a bit more leg room, but I am 6' and spent 20 mins in the back passenger seat with no complaints, and the back seats themselves are very comfy.

3) Safety. Of course, this is what the car is all about. 5***** overall rating. All the bells and whistles that you would expect from any high-end car + Brakes Assist, Blind Spot Monitor, Lane Departure Warning, Turn Signal Mirrors, etc. I especially like the BLIS (Blind Spot Warning) which lights up a small light on either side of the car when a vehicle or other is in your bling spot.

All in all, a definite contender for someone in the market for a cross-over/wagon type vehicle. I'd love to drive it up LCC in a snowstorm.
    Last edited by schindlerpiste; 10-30-2014 at 01:50 PM.

After driving the car, here are my thoughts:
    ... german import. .....
    German?!?!

This is a car on our short list for next car if we go petrol...
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

I was comparing it to the germans DUH!

But it is poorly worded, I'll give you that.
    Last edited by schindlerpiste; 10-30-2014 at 03:01 PM.

I was comparing it to the germans DUH!

But it is poorly worded, I'll give you that.
    Das Auto:
    http://jalopnik.com/the-2015-volkswa...-it-1575583696

edit to add:
    I should have put like a tongue out emoji or something.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.