Fresh King Crab?

Anyone in the lower 48 had shipped before and have any recs? Looked online and only can find one place, most all others offer it frozen.

Only had it fresh a handful of times fresh and god damn it is good....

no help with the rec, but we had this at Bern Steakhouse in Tampa and concur, it is some delectable stuff no doubt. It was a $45 appetizer IIRC.

Yea one place I found (fishex.com) is around $34-43/lb plus shipping so yea it isn't cheap by any means.....

Looks like James Hook next door ships live crabs but their King Crab seems to be frozen...

http://www.jameshooklobster.com/inde...a329797a0ab3db
    Brought to you by Carl's Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by systemoverblow'd View Post
    Looks like James Hook next door ships live crabs but their King Crab seems to be frozen...

http://www.jameshooklobster.com/inde...a329797a0ab3db
    Yea frozen for sure. Their lobster prices are absurd with shipping BTW, $79 min shipping charge? Um yea no thanks....prices are so low that we can find live ones in very good condition here in LA for ~$16/lb

Call Island Seafood in Kodiak and maybe they can help you. When we are out seining salmon in the summer months we haul a couple pots here n there,,,,,, nothing like fresh king crab.

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer28 View Post
    Yea frozen for sure. Their lobster prices are absurd with shipping BTW, $79 min shipping charge? Um yea no thanks....prices are so low that we can find live ones in very good condition here in LA for ~$16/lb
    Never looked into shipping since I walk right next door. Makes sense though.
    Brought to you by Carl's Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer28 View Post
    Legal Seafood has the best rates for shipping lobster... ask Teleee.

Now I want some king crab, tho.
    Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!

Quote Originally Posted by whitekingsalmon View Post
    Call Island Seafood in Kodiak and maybe they can help you. When we are out seining salmon in the summer months we haul a couple pots here n there,,,,,, nothing like fresh king crab.
    Except Alaskan Dungeness. I'd take it over king crab anyday. I loved Dungeness season when I worked out of Sandpoint.

Quote Originally Posted by AaronWright View Post
    Except Alaskan Dungeness. I'd take it over king crab anyday. I loved Dungeness season when I worked out of Sandpoint.
    Yea big fan too. I make a pasta with dungeness & goat cheese sauce that is pretty bonkers.....

[threaddrift] how about halibut? Anybody got a good line on that? damn this thread's making me hungry...[/threaddrift]
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Quote Originally Posted by Tye 1on View Post
    [threaddrift] how about halibut? Anybody got a good line on that? damn this thread's making me hungry...[/threaddrift]
    FishEx ships Halibut as well. We are lucky that we get it fresh from both Alaska and WA/OR/CA cost....lot cheaper than it was back east for sure. Parmesan/Panko crusted with herbed brown butter sauce...........

thanks!!!
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Quote Originally Posted by Tye 1on View Post
    Halibut season is all but done. They close on nov 7th,but most guys are done fishing their Q's. In the summer I could get you all you want but by now all the guys I know are done. Try Island Seafood or another small cannery you can call is Alaska Fresh Seafood, both are out of Kodiak…......remember everyone buy Alaskan seafood

I was told that the problem with crabs, lobster, or shrimp, is that they decompose very rapidly as soon as they die. Not sure shipping non-frozen crab is really going to be much "better" in the long run.

The problem with the Seattle-based companies, Flowing Alpy, is that they might ship you out brined then frozen product. TRULY fresh, you'll might want to look up a smaller Ak-based packer or even a catcher vessel. Kodiak vessels and Homer vessels will be a good bet. But mind you, they'll be in Dutch for the season and there are ADFG regs against them actually SELLING their home-packs. About the onl GOOD way to get FRESH red or blue (or even Brown isn't bad) is to befriend a hand that will send you his home pack cryopacked...but he'll charge you bout as much as a live shipper!!!

Contact Lou LeFarrier...the skipper of the Golden Shamrock...he. MIGHT be able to help you out....maybe.

Safest bet...commercial live shipper. They'll live-ship ANYWHERE air-frieght...but $$$$$.

Working aboard some of the reds and blues catchers, I've been lucky enough to have the FRESHEST red king crab you can believe: King crab omelettes; fresh from the pot...breakfast just after last string is hauled. Yummmmmm.
    "The reason death sticks so closely to life isn't biological necessity - it's envy. Life is so beautiful that death has fallen in love with it; a jealous, possesive love that grabs at what it can." by Yann Martel from Life of Pi

Posted by DJSapp:
    "Squirrels are rats with good PR."

Quote Originally Posted by Tippster View Post
    I was told that the problem with crabs, lobster, or shrimp, is that they decompose very rapidly as soon as they die. Not sure shipping non-frozen crab is really going to be much "better" in the long run.
    Yup. And they muscle/met atrophies very quick after they are are caught as well. Lobsters really don't seem to eat much when they get put in tanks from what I've heard. Always get the lobster that is super active and pissed off looking in the tank, chances are he's on the fresh side. I only buy from one place out west as I've had some really bad lobster in the past that is spongy w/ shit flavor...

"One season per year, the gods open the skies, and releases a white, fluffy, pillow on top of the most forbidding mountain landscapes, allowing people to travel over them with ease and relative abandonment of concern for safety. It's incredible."

The best deal I ever found on crabs was 4$ each at Kincoltih crab fest which was a classic rock concert on a 1st nations res way out on the north coast all paid for by some kind of federal gov grant
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by AaronWright View Post
    Am I reading this right? You really like Dungy better than king crab? I have heard people liking tanner's more than king, but never dungy more than king.

That said, I am heading out this weekend for my last pull of my dungy pots for the season. Hoping for a good day of fishing.

Damn. Halibut and Dungy crab. Lobster too ... Hey bluebird, throw a couple of those on ice into a box for me would ya Dungy rocks!

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebird View Post
    Am I reading this right? You really like Dungy better than king crab? I have heard people liking tanner's more than king, but never dungy more than king.

That said, I am heading out this weekend for my last pull of my dungy pots for the season. Hoping for a good day of fishing.
    Yes, I think it has better flavor. People seem to go for the king crab because of the larger meat segments in the legs I think.

Scientists now have decisive molecular evidence that humans and chimpanzees once had a common momma and that this lineage had previously split from monkeys.

we have live king at the place I eat here in Denver. Really expensive, but worth every bite.
    Terje was right.

"We're all kooks to somebody else." -Shelby Menzel