Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bondafide, Moment Deathwish

So last year I bought a new pair of Blizzard Bonafide's loved them. Used exclusively inbounds, have a dedicated pair of BC skis, K2 Coombacks. So late last season I had the opportunity to demo a pair of Moment Deathwish and OMG, they were spectacular. Their claim that they grip like a serrated knife is the best way to describe them.

So here is the dilemma, I really want a pair of DW but as I was only able to ski them for half a dozen runs in soft spring conditions am I going to find that the DW and Bonafide's are somewhat similar? Obviously the DW are 112 under foot as opposed to the Bonafide's 98. Having a three ski quiver is not the worst thing but am I going to find the DW replacing the Bonafides as my everyday ski?

Help me justify the Deathwish?

Quote Originally Posted by sbelt View Post
    Help me justify the Deathwish?
    Seriously?!... You're asking a bunch of junkie gear whores to help you quit?

Buy them and if you don't ski your other skis, sell them here cheap.
    Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!

Bonafides and DW's would be an awesome two ski resort quiver.

10 n = "number of skis"
    20 n = n + 1
    30 goto 10
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Deathwish, IMVHO, are the best ski ever made. At least for my style (slarvy, medium speed, jibby/jumpy, not particularly strong or straightlin-ish). I am actually cutting down my quiver to pretty much just the DW since they are so damn easy to ski, I've never felt like I've needed something bigger on a big pow day, and they can somehow also be the most fun groomer ski I've ever owned. Did a review last season: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...77880786,d.cGE

I'm a huge DW fanboy. I've never felt so comfortable, capable, and safe on a pair of skis as I've felt since owning those guys, and can't say enough good things about them. Get rid of the Blizzards, you won't ski them again
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

Former Managing Editor @ TGR, forever mag.

Bump

anybody have a view on Deathwish mounting point + or -

Quote Originally Posted by sbelt View Post
    Bump

anybody have a view on Deathwish mounting point + or -
    Can't remember what i mounted mine at but sure it was on the line. Definitely a ski that wants you to be skiing centered stance in the middle of it, felt real comfy there and was best for engaging the multiple cambers.
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

Mine are on the line. Folks like 'em at -1 too. Great ski that I used for 99% last year and don't plan on changing for this year.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Appreciate all the help. I am going to be in Sparks NV next week so I was planning on stopping at Moment to pick up a pair of Sierra's (dirty mustache also) for my wife but what the hell, I'll grab the DW's also, you only live once.

Dunfee, what other skis in the 110-115 waist category have you skied?

I dont know if id go as far as getting rid of the blizzards. Bonafides and cochises are some the of the most fun charging skis out there.. While researching the deathwish and similar skis, I found that people say the blizzard gunsmoke and the kastle xx110 are significantly better skis with the same intentions. To each his own i guess.

Quote Originally Posted by vailszendrei View Post
    Dunfee, what other skis in the 110-115 waist category have you skied?

I dont know if id go as far as getting rid of the blizzards. Bonafides and cochises are some the of the most fun charging skis out there.. While researching the deathwish and similar skis, I found that people say the blizzard gunsmoke and the kastle xx110 are significantly better skis with the same intentions. To each his own i guess.
    Honestly not a ton in the past season or two. Sir Francis bacon was another standout ski for people considering the DW, really fun and jibby yet really comfortable and stable going fast, even with a near center mount. I skied the automatic 116 last season a bit too, which I liked as well and was definitely more of a charger, but wasn't as fun in shitty snow. The blizzards I've skied have always been too badass for me, too stiff and oriented towards racer turns. and I ski like a weak shit.

I find my cochises much easier to ski than my pbjs. Moments are burly, but i have not been on the DW, i gotta try it out.

Quote Originally Posted by vailszendrei View Post
    I find my cochises much easier to ski than my pbjs. Moments are burly, but i have not been on the DW, i gotta try it out.
    The DW is definitely more on the medium flex end of things compared to other moments. I could not if my life depended get the governor to
    Turn on anything that wasn't a wide open perfectly pitched pow field. That ski was hell for me when I tried it. DW and ghost train I skied and were much more to my liking. Skied the underworld, which was fine, but skied noticeably narrower and wasn't able to slarve it in heavier snow.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Dunfee View Post
    The DW is definitely more on the medium flex end of things compared to other moments. I could not if my life depended get the governor to
    Turn on anything that wasn't a wide open perfectly pitched pow field. That ski was hell for me when I tried it. DW and ghost train I skied and were much more to my liking. Skied the underworld, which was fine, but skied noticeably narrower and wasn't able to slarve it in heavier snow.
    last question. How does Moment measure ski length, overall length or running surface?

Quote Originally Posted by bigdude2468 View Post
    last question. How does Moment measure ski length, overall length or running surface?
    Material length before being pressed, is what I thought.

Deathwish is a super easy medium flexing ski. I've only skied them on hard icey groomers, crust, and slush. Great edge hold for a 112 ski. The camber profile works as advertised.

Everything Dunfee says about the ski is pretty spot on. If you like to really drive a ski, then the gov or belefonte are better, while not being overly stiff.

I have the 196 governor (bibby special) and its more intuitive for all mountain than the 188 pbj or 190 bibby. The sidecut in the tip pulls you into the turn when you want it, and the softer tail lets you smear out your turns in tight situations.. But its still a "straight line" ski and it charges harder than the bibby.. I like it way more than other moments and i bet the 186 gov would be an awesome jackson hole daily driver.

Once you get the governor into steep and deep, it comes alive and its one of my favorite skis for knee deep. The 2012 obsethed and OG governor are my favorite skis from the past 4 years. More fun and engaging than the pbj/bibby, but charge just as hard (obsethed is much softer, but somehow it can charge..)

I'm with Dunfee. In the Moment line-up, the Deathwish is closest to my one ski quivers like the old days (Volkl Gotama, Volkl G40/G41 series). Its the ski that I take everywhere, carves, slays pow, stable, yet lighter than comparable skis. My close second is the Exit World...but even those (marketed as a light backcountry fat ski) feel a bit 'less fun' than my favorite ski of all time.

But, I've been only on Moments for way too long now, so I can't comment on any other company's skis.

If you like the Deathwish, you owe it to yourself to try the Praxis Concept, which the Deathwish seems to be modeled after. Reviews suggest the Concept is a bit more demanding but can be pushed harder. Great everyday ski.

Quote Originally Posted by SkiersLeft View Post
    Material length before being pressed, is what I thought.

Deathwish is a super easy medium flexing ski. I've only skied them on hard icey groomers, crust, and slush. Great edge hold for a 112 ski. The camber profile works as advertised.

Everything Dunfee says about the ski is pretty spot on. If you like to really drive a ski, then the gov or belefonte are better, while not being overly stiff.
    Confirmed with Moment the stated length is total material length prior to adding rocker and camber.

Where did Melee and Papa G go? They used to be pretty responsive around here. They kinda stopped right when I had some questions and they never responded. Oh well.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Posting some DW stoke from last winter... the Deathwish may have an aggresive name but it still goes well with girlfriends and dogs:

Posting some DW stoke from last winter... the Deathwish may have an aggresive name but it still goes well with girlfriends and dogs:

time for dynafits and new skins herr dunfee

time for dynafits and new skins herr dunfee
    No shit... Definitely getting skins at least. Dinnafiddles will depend on whether a fall bike purchase comes Into play. You giys skiing oberstorf yet?

No shit... Definitely getting skins at least. Dinnafiddles will depend on whether a fall bike purchase comes Into play. You giys skiing oberstorf yet?
    bike purchase, this time of year? priorities my friend... Pitztal in austria was pretty good last friday, snowed 2+meters the days prior, surfy heavy pow. Here this past weekend, but the warm temps got the best of what came down.

Deathwishes will be added shortly... Needed a carving ski to round out the quiver

bike purchase, this time of year? priorities my friend... Pitztal in austria was pretty good last friday, snowed 2+meters the days prior, surfy heavy pow. Here this past weekend, but the warm temps got the best of what came down.

Deathwishes will be added shortly... Needed a carving ski to round out the quiver
    Yeah man, this is when the deals are! Plus my ski gear is pretty set with the exception of skins.

Sweet you got some turns in though! You're really gonna buy some soft ass new school jibby Deathwishes though?? . Would've thought you'd get the governors for the hardcore straghtlining