Vulcan mod - Technica Cochise upper buckle/strap

Once upon a time I became fed up with my first generation Dalbello Virus' lack of micro adjust buckles and power strap. My calf was either way too loose or tight in the top of the boot, with no real options. Some fine fellow here on TGR suggested the Technica Cochise strap/buckle combo fits onto the Virus. This really helped a mediocre boot ski fairly well. Fast forward three-ish years to today when I picked up my new boots, Dynafit Vulcans. There was no problem with the boot fitting my calf, but you do have to undo the strap to a) get full stride in walk mode and b) insert the tongue. With my Virus' collecting dust, I decided to see if the Cochise strap/buckle would fit, and they do, perfectly! All I had to do was use an extra washer on the strap connection, because the Vulcans stock strap has a grommet built in, where the Cochise's does not, and the bolt was too long.

Very unscientific test, but in walk mode with the strap done up, if i rock back onto my heels a bit and point my toes at the ground, my toes are about an inch off the ground. Doing the same with the buckle of the strap undone, I can touch the ground with my toes.

Out with the old...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20141022_182628.jpg 
Views:	254 
Size:	1.21 MB 
ID:	159360
    In with the new
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20141022_184301.jpg 
Views:	385 
Size:	1.30 MB 
ID:	159361

I just removed the PS entirely and don't really miss it but thats Cool !
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

rad. I like it

I think the Cochise style power strap (with buckle) is state of the art for upper cuff closures unless you're racing. Not saying Tecnica is the only one who does it but they execute it as well as anyone out there.
    Sometimes pride comes after a fall.

Combine the technica power strap with the dynafit buckle. Only one thing to do up? Still keep the fit

Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    Combine the technica power strap with the dynafit buckle. Only one thing to do up? Still keep the fit
    What he said.

I did the mod on my old Virus' but on the Vulcans I just ditched the 'power' strap. Didn't notice any different.

Quote Originally Posted by rob stokes View Post
    on the Vulcans I just ditched the 'power' strap. Didn't notice any different.
    This.

You probably won't be taking the tongues out very much either.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

I use the Vulcan powerstrap just so i can keep the boots together but that is a cool little mod

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post

You probably won't be taking the tongues out very much either.

Do many people leave the tongues in? I only have about 15ish days on mine so far but have been taking them out for anything over 15mins or so. Defiantly feel the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by rob stokes View Post
    Do many people leave the tongues in? I only have about 15ish days on mine so far but have been taking them out for anything over 15mins or so. Defiantly feel the difference.
    It's because the difference is there. Always remove because they walk so much better without (for me) and always insert because they ski so much better with (for me). Does add to the fiddling factor though - worth it both up and down IMO.

for yoyo skiing i don't bother taking out the tongues but for a long approach slog up I will, they are really quite skiable without the tongues especialy if you want a softer boot

the stock dynafit powerstrap started falling off on day 2, you can fix the stock straps with larger SS washers but they will still pull thru so a dab of aquaseal on the hole under the washer on the strap will fix them completely but in the end I really don't notice much difference with the power strap
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know