Salomon AT boots question...

Anybody know what the difference between the quest max and the quest pro is? Aside from price? Both seem to have removable sole blocks, heat moldable shells etc. etc. The pro is lighter even.

Is there a difference in fit (probably the most important question)? My feet work best with salomon boots so that's what I'm gonna go with just wondering if the spending a few hundred extra dollars is worth it. Looks like a slightly wider last (2 mm) on the pro, and a upgraded liner on the max. Otherwise? I'm confused why is the lighter stiffer boot $150 less?
    Its not that I suck at spelling, its that I just don't care

In general, the difference in fit between Salomon "Max" and "Pro" boots (applies to X Max and X Pro as well) is 2mm extra width between the met heads, noticeably wider heel, and taller instep in the Pro. Not sure about the $150 price differential, the difference between the Quest Max 130 and Quest Pro 130 is $50.

Quest Max and the X Max share the same last - 98-104mm. Quest Pro and X Pro share the same last - 100-106.

Quest Max 130 has a new walk mechanism that is metal on metal when in ski mode. Functions similar to the original Quest walk mechanism is tour mode, i.e., Quest Pro.

Quest Max 130 has a poly-urethane upper and lower - heavier. Quest Pro 130 has poly-urethane upper and a poly-propylene lower - PP is lighter.

Quest Pro 130 has an custom fit articulated lighter weight liner. Quest Max 130 has a custom fit race liner.

Both have custom fit upper and lower shells.

In summary Quest Max is heavier, narrower, and has a beefier ski/tour mechanism than the Quest Pro. Quest Pro has an articulated liner that is better for touring.

Quote Originally Posted by rug wheelie View Post
    Quest Max and the X Max share the same last - 98-104mm. Quest Pro and X Pro share the same last - 100-106.

Quest Max 130 has a new walk mechanism that is metal on metal when in ski mode. Functions similar to the original Quest walk mechanism is tour mode, i.e., Quest Pro.

Quest Max 130 has a poly-urethane upper and lower - heavier. Quest Pro 130 has poly-urethane upper and a poly-propylene lower - PP is lighter.

Quest Pro 130 has an custom fit articulated lighter weight liner. Quest Max 130 has a custom fit race liner.

Both have custom fit upper and lower shells.

In summary Quest Max is heavier, narrower, and has a beefier ski/tour mechanism than the Quest Pro. Quest Pro has an articulated liner that is better for touring.
    Perfect! Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    In general, the difference in fit between Salomon "Max" and "Pro" boots (applies to X Max and X Pro as well) is 2mm extra width between the met heads, noticeably wider heel, and taller instep in the Pro. Not sure about the $150 price differential, the difference between the Quest Max 130 and Quest Pro 130 is $50.
    Thread drift, but it sounds like rug wheelie or gregl will know the answer. If the Salomon Max boots are 98 to 104 mm, does that mean they are the same as the original Falcon last (which I believe is 98mm)? Same instep as the Falcons? I have both Falcon 10's and Falcon Races - they fit my feet nearly perfectly. I would be really interested if the Quest Max fits the same. My problem is finding Max series boots in a 24.5 - my local shops don't stock that size and I'm leery about ordering them without trying them on first ...

great info. To add a question, how does the max bc 120 differ from the max130? Any difference in fit or cuff height?

looks like the Max BC is pretty different than the rest of the Max boots but thats just what I can glean fro the website.

Quest Max BC 120 shell is pebax lower and polyolefine cuff. Same last as the 130. Boot Shell is not moldable. Metal on metal walk mechanism. Comes with tech soles.

Also some buckle and bail variations amongst these boots but can't remember all the details. Magnesium vs aluminum buckles. Wire vs cable bales.

X Max last is the evolution of the Falcon. Details are fuzzy in my head but if I remember correctly little extra toe length, improved heel pocket, and shorter BSL. Can't remember if they modified the instep or not.

I had a pair of Falcons but that was years ago. Memory tells me the X Max is better in the heel pocket, toe box, and not as tight in the instep.

Selling a pair of X Max130's and I am going to try a one boot quiver this year with a Quest Pro 130, Warden bindings, and Tech bindings.

Quote Originally Posted by rug wheelie View Post
    Quest Max BC 120 shell is pebax lower and polyolefine cuff. Same last as the 130. Boot Shell is not moldable. Metal on metal walk mechanism. Comes with tech soles.

Also some buckle and bail variations amongst these boots but can't remember all the details. Magnesium vs aluminum buckles. Wire vs cable bales.

X Max last is the evolution of the Falcon. Details are fuzzy in my head but if I remember correctly little extra toe length, improved heel pocket, and shorter BSL. Can't remember if they modified the instep or not.

I had a pair of Falcons but that was years ago. Memory tells me the X Max is better in the heel pocket, toe box, and not as tight in the instep.

Selling a pair of X Max130's and I am going to try a one boot quiver this year with a Quest Pro 130, Warden bindings, and Tech bindings.
    Thanks for the info - much appreciated!

Anyone able to comment on the flex ratings of the Salomon boots? Is the flex number pretty accurate?

Currently have two pairs of boots I want to replace with a single pair.

Scarpa Spirit 4
    Salomon Ghost (2009 the very first gen)

Going back to read and find a flex rating on the Ghost says 110, but talking to the Salomon rep he said they were more like a 130.

I have been skiing the Spirit 4's inbounds and find them too soft at times. With the Ghost they are too stiff at times. Previous boots to either of these were some Nordica Beast 12 (90-100 flex from what I can find online). These felt right on flex but were too much room in them once packed out. Personally I feel I skied my best on the softish 90-100 alpine boot so I don't want to get into a boot stiffer than I need.

Debating between the Quest Pro 130 or 110's. Or maybe Cochise 120's...

gahhhh I hate these types of "what for me" threads.

I tried on the X Max 120 the other day and it felt really, really soft for a "120." I also tried on an old pair of Falcon CS 120s they had laying around and that 120 was far stiffer. So, knowing nothing about the older Ghosts, I suspect that a newer Salomon 130 would be noticeably softer than an older 130. I did not try on any Quest boots though.

Also, since there's some discussion about fit above, the X Max has much more volume in the midfoot and forefoot than the Falcon.

Yeah big ups to rug and Greg, stellar info!! I don't have anywhere near the info these cats have but I have an older pair quest max 120's (pre 130's) and I'd say they are the closest to true flex rating of any AT boot that I've tried. Certainly not as stiff as rated compared to legit plugs but I love em, much stiffer than factors or endorphins for sure! I could never find an AT boot stiff enough for a quiver of one until these and I most likely won't go with any others as long as they continue the quest series (all though I will go 130 next time for sure). So I'd say if your comfy with a 100-110 flex in a plug the 120 is probly perfect or just a tad too stiff
    Fear, Doubt, Disbelief, you have to let it all go. Free your mind!