Opinions on Rip Curl's Flash Bomb Wetsuits

Hello surfers!
    I've never posted here before. Actually, I'm not even a surfer. But I'd love some advice on buying a new wetsuit for my husband. I couldn't find many full reviews online for the newer models, so just thought I'd ask here in case someone has some experience with them.

My husband prefers the Rip Curl brand, and I know the sizing, so we're going to stick with that. These are my options:
    - Flash Bomb 4/3 chest zip
    - Flash Bomb Plus 4/3 chest zip
    - Flash Bomb 5/4 hooded chest zip

So my questions are:
    1. How much of a difference does 5/4 make for year-round northern California surfing (average of 55 degrees water temp)? Is it worth it or could 4/3 be sufficient?
    2. If someone is not normally used to wearing a hood, and you buy a hooded wetsuit, will the seal leak much in the neck area if you sometimes surf with the hood down?
    3. What's a Titanium Airlock E4 and why does the Plus version charge so much more for it?
    4. For any of these suits, has anyone had problematic issues with the key stash pocket? I noticed that they aren't velcro or zippered closed.

I would totally appreciate any thoughts/opinions on these suits and any answers to my questions. Thanks in advance! And sorry for not knowing correct surfer lingo.

Opinions on Rip Curl's Flash Bomb Wetsuits

NCal like Humboldt?

I'm surfing the coast north of SC and south of SF mostly. Te Ebomb (cheaper model, fewer taped seams) 4/3 is great for most days. No hood. 20 months old and been fine so far this toasty fall. Almost too warm.

I do have a hooded Patagucci R3 for cold or big (long wait) days.

If you rarely put a hood on I would avoid them. Based on my preference. Not sure about leakage, but I find them to be a pain in te ass on my neck. If you occasionally feel the need, grab a squid lid for cheap or a 2mm hood on a Lycra vest.
    Last edited by Ottime; 10-22-2014 at 07:39 AM.

1. I have a flash bomb 5/4 hooded for the colder days in N. Oregon. It is very warm, often too warm.
    2. Slightly more leakage but not really a big deal IMO. Like Ottime said more of a pain in the ass/potential rash causer than anything if you wear the hood down.
    3. No clue don't have that.
    4. Don't use the key stash pocket. I never trust those.

Thanks wildman and ottime!
    Norcal, as in Half Moon Bay. 4/3 no hood is what his old suit was and it sounds like the regular 4/3 Flashbomb might be warm enough and not annoying from a hood perspective, from what you have said.
    I'm thinking Christmas gift, so I might have a few more weeks to decide.

I've worn many wetsuits, a lot of rip curl and their new flash bomb is amazing. I wear the 4/3 out on the Oregon coast, no good if possible but use a rash guard hood when it's real cold. The thing is so soft and warm and dries super quick. The 5/4 with a hood may be too much if the hood does not come off. I hated the attached hood because when I pulled it down when I got warm it choked me out. A 4/3 will be fine with a rash guard hood IMO.

You may want to look at the rip curl hooded rashie. I've never used one, but the sizing should be similar. In HMB, if generally say the 4/3 is plenty. Especially in the flash bomb, which in theory is warmer than an ebomb.

Is he a Mavs surfer? If so, and he longs a lot of time out there, you may want to consider the 5/4. Lots of time spent sitting and waiting, and big wave sessions tend to average a longer time.

I like my 5/4 flashbomb (no hood) a lot.
    Has an excellent (zippered) key pocket also.

Can't comment on hoods and Cali conditions.
    I use my 5/4 with a cap (& gloves & boots) down to 5degr C water & air temps for surf sessions in the North sea (Europe) up to 2 - 3 hours. Longer gets chilly.

Damn that is chilly water. But, from what you have said about your surf, I imagine you are moving around a bit more regularly, as opposed to sitting and waiting. For instance, today was pretty consistent, up the coast, and I was still waiting a few minutes or more between waves.

I also had on my R3, because my ebomb was still wet from last night. Way to warm for a day like today.

Mine ripcurl also has a zippered pocket. My hotline just had a loop and pocket. Never lost the key, but I do prefer the zipper.