Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Help me shop for laptops=anger

I want a 17" screen and windows 7 pro 64 bit.
    Needs to be used with AI, PSD and RhinoCAD/CAM all running together at some points plus some other shit.
    The dell inspiron I have right now is OK but running out of space and slowing down.
    Inspiron 1764 intel i5 2.27 ghz
    4gb ram
    No touch screen needed.
    Nice Intel processor, good amounts of ram. Can be found for under $750?
    I cant seem to find it.
    I have to get one with windows 8 and pay $150 to downgrade to windows 7 pro???
    Any links or suggestions?
    Lenovos website is painful.

would a 1.7 ghz be a noticeable step down?
    Like here.
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...684&CatId=4939

Paging Rshea....

Have you tried pricewatch.com
    ​I am not in your hurry

Under $750? Maybe as a refurb and without a 1080 HD screen. Keep an eye on woot.com.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

need it like right meow... pricewatch looks promising. Thanks

The higher end graphics is probably going to require you to look at refurbished or Outlet open box systems.

I also question why you have to pay $150 to do the Win 7 Pro? Any system with Windows 8 Pro is legally allowed to be downgraded to WIndows 7 Pro (you or the company that you buy it from may have to provide the media)- Dell, Lenovo (but Lenovo is limited in 17" laptops), Acer, and probably HP all will sell a Windows 8 Pro laptop with either Win 7 Pro preloaded, or a way to move back to Win 7 Pro. Home editions do not include this right and those would require the extra expense you mention.

Also what about just upgrading your existing system- check to see if it can handle more system memory and get a SSD drive to replace the exisiting hard drive (capacity of existing drive that is full?) and it may feel more like a newer laptop.

Oh I coulnt figure out how to get dell online to load me a windows 7 pro instead of 8 on new laptop, ill check it out. I have to return this laptop to my employer and get my own so I cant upgrade this. A ssd would be ideal and keep me from freaking out. Plus this thing has issues and a dead pixel.

No longer stuck.

Factory recon scares me. Dont know why.

I canz down gradez to windowz 7z with dis woots one?

That Dell is using the Windows 8.1 downgrade rights: Windows 7 Professional English 64bit (includes Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit License and Media) [Included in Price] that I mentioned. The video is solid for standard stuff - not graphics intensive stuff, but maybe a bit limiting (especially if you do high end stuff in the programs you list. One example is the Rhino Cad: http://wiki.mcneel.com/rhino/videocards and other links off that one discuss Intel graphics with it... Most cad and higher end video like to have the NVidia or ATI FireGL.

As to the Woots- the 17 were sold out last night and so if you did not jump on them- you will have to wait for the next deal. If the system comes with Home, then you would have to spend some of the savings on Windows 7 Pro that you want ($150 or so like you mentioned in original post).

the 17" is in stock, but it looks like 8.1 Home :/
    No longer stuck.

arghhhhh. so I have to buy new op for windows 7 pro.
    Baddass system but refurb,....damn.

Refurbs can be alright. Hit or miss, like any other laptop. You may be able to save some coin upgrading to 8.1 pro. I think you can pretty much make it look and feel and act like 7, but it works really well for mobile devices, especially laptops that get turned on/off or put to sleep a lot.
    Shoot me a pm if you need more info/help. (although, I haven't used 8 much in a while.) I'm diving headlong into this starting my own business thing, and would love to offer my knowledge. Free for maggot advice, obviously

oh here, http://www.intowindows.com/how-to-ma...ike-windows-7/
    Last edited by stuckathuntermtn; 10-23-2014 at 02:15 PM.
    No longer stuck.

but all teh programs I already own are specified for windows 7 64 bit so......

There are a few things that are different between Win Home and Win Pro- mainly being able to join a MS Server Domain. And a few other things that could be handled with a few different 3rd party apps. Read through this article:

http://www.howtogeek.com/131975/htg-...-of-windows-8/ and also the link that states you can move from Home to Pro in Win 8.1 with the MS Win 8.1 Pro Pack for under the $150 purchasing a copy of Win 7 Pro.

As for the Dell vs the HP on Woot- the HP definitely has a few nicer items- iCore 7 Intel CPU that would be pretty fast and a step up. Also just slightly better Intel graphics built in- 4600 vs the Dell 4400 series. (Probably not a big difference.)

As for the refurb- I have had some luck with them, if you do not mind the shorter warranty- especially if the unit has pretty good reviews (google and amazon for opinions). However there have been a few "dogs" like the video graphics BGA issues a few years back. If the refurbishing is from the factory, then it tends to be much better than if it is some other source.

You can also figure that the very high number of software packages written for Windows 7 also run on Win 8 or 8.1 too. There are utilities that can give you a similar menu setup in Win 8.1 and gain speed in start-up and shutdown over Win 7.

They have almost the same processor do they not?
    http://configure.us.dell.com/dellsto...en&s=bsd&cs=04
    http://sellout.woot.com/offers/hp-en...ef=cnt_wp_14_2

The current dell I have doesnt have ndviga video thingy(sorry) -I read that all about Solid works as well, its an intel and it runs my CAD/CAM tool pathing just fine, some rendering is slowish and the PSD rendering of large files can be slow. I have allot of the settings lowered to maximize ram and processing-I think.
    I would assume my programs to function from one os to the other but I feel like Im gambleing.
    Can I stick another stick of 8GB ram in the dell?

looks like I could drop this in the dell.
    http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/P...s&sku=A7022339

Never mind I see its twice the balls or whatever.
    http://ark.intel.com/products/81015/...up-to-3_10-GHz
    http://ark.intel.com/products/75117/...up-to-3_40-GHz
    Last edited by lobstahmeatwad; 10-23-2014 at 09:19 PM.

You do not have to gamble- just take a few minutes to find out if the major software packages (with the version you are running right now) are running on Windows 8 or if a newer version of the software is needed to run on Windows 8. There is Upgrade assistant from Microsoft that you can download and run. Even though you are NOT taking your existing system to Windows 8 on the existing, it will report software as well as hardware issues.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...ows-7-tutorial

That link to the Dell New Inspiron 17 5000 Series you posted above base unit is is available with Icore 3, iCore 5 4th Generation Intel® Core™ i5-4210U processor (3M Cache, up to 2.7 GHz) and iCore 7 th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-4510U processor (4M Cache, up to 3.1 GHz) and the page does not specify which one you selected ($749 does match the entry level price though on this page):
    http://www.dell.com/us/business/p/in...h&isredir=true

Also I am not a Dell web site expert- really rarely sell a Dell system but sometimes struggle to use the configuration/system builder for someone that requests Dell and nothing else.
    Last edited by RShea; 10-24-2014 at 05:33 AM.

You mention that Solid Works is also used, here is the page that mentions versions (maybe the edu versions, but similar hardware) for the OS issue.

http://www.solidworks.com/sw/support...uirements.html
    It also has the link to video cards certified by manufacturer and brand. Dell Precision is the only one for Solid Works, but some other models that have the video graphics chips on them in laptops probably will work just fine- but the Intel graphics chip on that Inspiron AGAIN is not recommended and probably will not work for the higher end Solid Works.

Sorry Lobstah just putting more system memory will not help your video graphics issues. Memory is one of the EASIEST upgrades you can do later- moving to a higher end VIDEO GRAPHICS upgrades in a laptop is impossible usually (you have to purchase a NEW laptop as there is no way like in a desktop to open the system and stick another card in a laptop....

Well I got all antsy in the pantsy and pulled the trigger on the factory refurb last night with the nice processor and windows 8. My older software versions should work on win 8 and if not i will pony up for win 7 pro. I'm not using SW I have just seen what the graphics requirements are previously. My toolpathing and 3d shapes are pretty simple. Thanks for all the insight even if I didnt understand 100%, but I like to make these threads to help work through stuff like this and annoy the mags.

Woot had some of the Dell refurbs that would have been very similar to the one you linked above. But your decision was made. Hope you take some time to just understand the Windows 8 and then if you really hate it or if a software package that you HAVE to have and do not want to pony up for an upgrade to a version that does run on Win 8 - you can move back to Win 7. If you still want Win 8 to look and feel more like 7, then there are options including free or next to free $5 license for Stardock) to get the programs menu on the traditional start button. While your new system is shipping, still run the Windows Upgrade tool- it will prepare you for what software you need to load that works fine, and what potential issues there are. One example- one of the first customers that I did a Windows 8 for had an old version of Adobe software (version 4, the latest is now version 12). We pulled the CD out, ran the install and pretty soon it was running. A few minor issues, but for the most part functional even though Adobe claims you should have version 9 or 10 or something like that to work on Win 8.

The HP had the better screen. Not sure if the gfx were any better. Glad I can help. Maybe one day, I'll be as smoov as RShea
    fucking better be, or it's gonna be tough
    No longer stuck.

Could he just make a system image of his current system with Windows Backup and drop it on the new machine? Assuming stuff isn't all buggy, it might be an easier transition for you if it works. I think it can. Win 7 is waaaaaaaay less crashy with differing hardware than ye olde XP. Worst comes to worst, start it in Safe Mode, get a network driver in there, and off you go.
    I know there are also backup programs that let you clear out the hardware.
    Reason you might want to do this, (assuming there are no serious hiccups in your system. mine doesn't have any and I'm considering doing it if it will work) is that you won't have to go around reinstalling all you software, redoing all your settings, and everything is right there like it was. The extra, unallocated space on the new hard disk can just be added to the active partition, I believe. Oh, and you'll need to dig out your old os disk to be able to do this. It's actually pretty easy to do.
    I suppose you would want to sysprep /generalize the old computer first?
    Last edited by stuckathuntermtn; 10-24-2014 at 05:53 PM.
    No longer stuck.