Thread: Gotama Question

Gotama Question

I have a volkl 2011 Gotama ski with marker griffon's on them, thinking of putting dukes on them and using it as a light back country ski. Mainly use it for a couple early ups before the lifts start running at resorts. Just wondering what people think about this, and how will the dukes change the feel of the ski on the groomers? I'm new to skinning up so if this whole idea sounds dumb let me know.

First off. This will hardly be considered a "light backcountry ski".

The dukes will increase the stack height or how high you stand on the ski. They will also flex more than a standard alpine binding on groomers. That being said, many run dukes inbounds year after year. Check for the Duke care and maintenance thread and keep up with that and you should be ok. Everything breaks so......

Good luck.

I had the same skis, but Barron's and agree, this is NOT a light setup. More for side country and resorts on pow days vs. BC rig.
    Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!

I've used the same setup for early ups a couple of times (Cochise boots). Worked OK, but certainly not optimal.

Pretty sure he means light as in light usage, not lighweight.

OP, they will work fine for your intended purpose. For ski feel, what Skidog said.

yes to clarify I meant light as in light back country usage, 95% of the time the skis will be used inbound with lift service.

If you do this, get the smallest size Duke (or Baron) that will fit your boot. If you're lucky, your boot sole length (BSL) is under 320mm and you can get the size Small.

It does the same thing as size Large, but less weight and a bit more durable.

I've had similar usage / set up the last couple years and it works fine inbounds.

you could/should also consider the guardian/tracker. Bit lower stack height, and seems like it may be more durable. Either way I liked the "ski feel" of the guardian/tracker better than the Duke. Seemed less sloppy. YMMV.

Sorry for the mistake on the light use/lightweight deal.

I loved my Gotamas, but couldn't imagine skinning in those beasts. Maybe I'm just not fit enough, but those skis always seemed pretty heavy, which may be great for blasting through crud, but always seemed to be less than optimal for lugging around.

I'd suggest going for a lighter weight alternative, but then again you might have legs the size of tree trunks and don't mind the heft. I guess if you don't mind, then go for it! I've actually seen a few people with tele and AT setups on them, so it's definitely possible.

I tour early and late season on Yellow/gold Gots. My go to rock ski. They took several hundred days of abuse and are still functional.

One could do a whole lot worse.

Disclaimer: They have Dynafit bindings.
    Johnny's only sin was dispair

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Deep View Post
    I tour early and late season on Yellow/gold Gots. My go to rock ski. They took several hundred days of abuse and are still functional.

One could do a whole lot worse.

Disclaimer: They have Dynafit bindings.
    Volkl should make a limited edition run of reprint GOLD GOTAMA. Would sell like hotcakes.