Service for Re-gluing Climbing Skins

Can anyone recommend a shop or service that re-glues climbing skins?

It's easy to do yourself.

Don't worry about all the scraping and stuff.

Paint on new glue over old, place backing paper, iron, done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

you probably could but heat gun and a putty knife scrape goop to the center of the skin is pretty easy too
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Easy DIY project. Several approaches. Here's mine: Fix either end on a bench or board with nail, etc. I suggest scraping w/heat gun to get remove dirt, dust, conifer needles, dog hair, etc. before applying the new glue. No need to remove all the old glue, i.e., remove just the dirty stuff. After scrape-to-clean, apply thin even layer glue (BD Gold Seal), let it air dry 24+ hours in a clean place, then iron on with parchment paper and low heat. Pull off parchment paper after it cools, a few minutes. You'll know you're doing it right if it does not smoke but smooths the glue out to a glassy smooth uniform surface, that is, looks like a factory new glue job. Then allow to dry another few hours, then put skins on cheat sheets. Good idea to use cheat sheets for the first tour or two rather than sticking glue-to-glue for the first few uses. After awhile the glue will cure and/or get dust on the surface, after which it's okay to stick glue to glue while touring. Always put skins on cleat sheets after you are done touring for the day. Store in cool dry place on cleat sheets. I have used this approach for at least 20 pairs of skins, yields c. 100 touring days for mid-winter skins, fewer for spring/summer skins (which get fouled with pollen, dirt, dust, needles, etc.)

ETA: You can refresh old skin glue by ironing in existing glue with parchment paper as described above. This has gotten me an extra season if there's ample glue to refresh.
    Last edited by Big Steve; 10-25-2014 at 10:19 AM.

what steve sez^^ this is not a high skill project that the "people who should not own tools" should stay away from

What do you call low heat Steve, I use hotter than waxing temp at 320F and I find if you can put the skins outside in sub zero cold weather after you have ironed them the parchment comes off easier
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Not sure what temperature I use to iron with parchment paper. I have dedicated iron for the purpose. Enough heat to get a smooth glossy finish but not so hot that it smokes. Good idea moving the skins outside in cold dry weather, but those are rare conditions in Seattle.

Any tips on renewing skins that are pretty dirty from summer skinning? They have quite a lot of fine dirt. I washed them and scraped them with a sponge. It cleaned them quite well, but the tips still come off easily.

Quote Originally Posted by daught View Post
    Any tips on renewing skins that are pretty dirty from summer skinning? They have quite a lot of fine dirt. I washed them and scraped them with a sponge. It cleaned them quite well, but the tips still come off easily.
    The actual 'hair' side?
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Pick as much dirt, conifer needles, loose glue blobs etc. as you can out of the glue with hands or tweezers first. Then use the contact paper that comes with Black Diamond skins (parchment works too, but doesn't release quite as cleanly), lay it on the glue shiny side to the glue and iron over the paper slowly at about 145 degrees C. (As hot as my Swix iron will go). Wait about 10 seconds, then peel the paper off - kind of like a hot scrape with wax, most of the dirt will come up with the paper. Clean the paper with citrus solvent and wipe it dry. Repeat the above process, but let the paper and skin cool completely (about 10 minutes) before peeling it off. If you did it right, you'll find a shiny like-new glue surface that's good for another season. Try this before you scrape all the old glue off, it often brings old glue back to life.

. . . but the tips still come off easily.
    What Greg said. If you refresh per Greg's instructions and the tips and/or tails continue to come off you can apply/iron glue on those areas without a complete re-glue.

A few points to add to those from the three PNW crew members:
    1. I use the "release paper" (i.e., some sort of waxed paper that comes with BD skins) to iron and press in new glue, but for cleaning the skin by ironing, I use cut-up paper bags: unlimited free supply, and I also think they take off more dirty and contaminated glue.
    2. Take the ventilation warnings seriously. A garage with all bay doors open is good, as is a screened-in porch.
    3. For ironing and pressing in the new glue, use a bakery rolling pin. And don't bother trying to cover your wife's pin with alu foil -- just buy a dedicated rolling pin (preferably plastic for easier cleaning). I use my regular waxing iron though.
    4. Do not demonstrate to your four-year-old daughter how you use the rolling pin to press in the new glue. Granted, it's really cutefor a split second after you turn around and realize that she has started to emulate you, but less cute when you realize she hasn't put down a section of release paper yet...
    Mo' skimo here: NE Rando Race Series

And ensure the waxed side of the paper goes on the glue, not the regular side... that was a rough afternoon.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan S. View Post
    I use cut-up paper bags: unlimited free supply
    Not in Seattle!

With all the expert gluers on this thread, is anyone interested in re-gluing my skins? I'll pay $50 plus shipping.

Quote Originally Posted by enlosandes View Post
    Can anyone recommend a shop or service that re-glues climbing skins?
    i guess that's a no

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    what steve sez
    'cept for his "cleat sheets".

Cheat sheets, old big guy. They be cheat sheets. Or perhaps I'm just wrong.
    Life is not lift served.

With all the expert gluers on this thread, is anyone interested in re-gluing my skins? I'll pay $50 plus shipping.
    Heh. Called out.

I'll do it.
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Quote Originally Posted by telemike View Post
    I'll do it.
    Thanks so very much, PM sent

cheat

lauds to telemike

okay then

the free market system at work.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

He told me today he watched a video. He's going to do it himself. I think that's better.
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Quote Originally Posted by WOTITIZ View Post
    Did that with a shitty pair of k2 skins like 200 something touring days ago. Still goin strong. No paper, no iron, no extra unnecessary labor.
    Make absolutely sure you cut the tail end off the k2 skins - they want you to believe that metal clip fits in that tail hole, but it is a FARCE and they will last thousands of days longer w/o. Or just use those 10 lb orange ones that bd made like in the 80s.
    Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Natures peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn. - John Muir

"How long can it last? For fuck sake this isn't heroin -
    suck it up princess" - XXX on getting off mj

“This is infinity here,” he said. “It could be infinity. We don’t really don’t know. But it could be. It has to be something — but it could be infinity, right?” - Trump, on the vastness of space, man

Damn straight - I drilled the holes in my vectors to use that set up.
    Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Natures peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn. - John Muir

"How long can it last? For fuck sake this isn't heroin -
    suck it up princess" - XXX on getting off mj

“This is infinity here,” he said. “It could be infinity. We don’t really don’t know. But it could be. It has to be something — but it could be infinity, right?” - Trump, on the vastness of space, man