Chariot trailer ball hitch -- help needed

The much-used rubber ball hitch on my Chariot Couger child carrier has cracked. Though it's not obvious from the photo, the crack covers about 75% of the ball.

I ordered a replacement part, but it won't arrive for several days. This Chariot is in daily use so not using it until the part arrives is really not an option.

Does anyone know of a short-term fix that would allow me to limp around on it for a few days? I thought perhaps of using a long screw through the tip to hold it together, but really don't have any clue what to do.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC04547.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	1.27 MB 
ID:	159237

Suggestions welcome.

Borrow a friends for a couple days? Depends if there are kids in the chariot or groceries, but super glue should bond well.

does it seem like it's about to fall off? If not, I'd give it some super glue and make damn sure that you have the safety tether hooked up too. That way a failure won't hurt any precious cargo. And try to ride gingerly.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Gorilla Glue + Clamp.

The screw isn't a bad idea either but might fuck up the receiver if it's not countersunk. I'd try a combination of screw and glue. The glue will keep everything together and the screw will distribute the load.

Probably a stupid question, but no bikes shops in the area carry one? Quite a few around here seem to have them in stock.

What I found is that shops around here have the entire bike attachment -- not just the ball mount. So like $40, not $5, unfortunately.

The ball seemed one bump away from coming undone.

I just countersunk a 1.5-inch wood screw; will report back later with tales of success/utter failure.

Thanks, everyone.

cant beat gorilla or super glue....combine it with duct tape and you really have something

That being said if it hasn't failed yet then you will probably make it a few more days...

Buy entire attachment; return when $5 part comes. Unless it's a LBS, then not cool to do. REI? Morally fine.

Everyone should have a tube of "shoe goo" in their tool box. That is some tough versatile stuff and I would suspect it would hold well (and better than super glue or gorilla glue i would guess) but your idea of the screw through it I think is best.

Drill a proper sized pilot hole (sorry if that's obvious) though to avoid splitting it all up when driving in the screw. Actually, that plus shoe goo and you'd never need a replacement.

Just to follow up ...

biketrailershop.com had the ball only -- $5, plus $5 shipping. It arrived in 4 days.

The 1.5 inch coarse thread countersunk wood screw held for four days of commuting. What makes the Chariot hitch unique is that the ball is rubber and can flex up to about 60 degrees -- especially like when you the bike in the grass. Obviously it would not flex with a screw in it and I'm not sure how it would do with glue because of where the break was.

Anyways, problem solved. Thanks again.