Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

My addiction to gear

Hello everyone. My name is George and im here cause im addicted to gear.

Yep thats right, all the newest and most colourful seasons skiing gear. From beanies to goggles and goggle cases, neck warmers, bandannas, balaclavas, bags and luggage. Even this seasons clothing so i look the coolest when not up on the mountain

Problem is i hate it. I really want to try and be as minimalist as possible with my skiing. You know, one jacket, one set of skis, boots etc. But all the new pretty season things are so damn alluring!!!

How do you over come this bombardment of all the newest and best gear? Do you even care, or do you just ignore it? Or the other side, do you just go and get it all anyway cause you can?
    We all know our sport entails heaps of equipment. The majority of it is essential. But how/where do you draw the line?

Posting nekkid pics of your sister will cure you of this hideous disease.
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

I thought George was a male name.

The easiest way is to box it all up and send it to me. Cold turkey. I'll pm my address. Your welcome.

Carl?

Nah. I'm pretty dialed and have sold everything I am not completely enamored with. Too much shit makes for tough decisions & clutter- and having shit for the sake of having it is cool and all but not for me anymore.
    "If you limit your choices only to what seems possible or reasonable, you disconnect yourself from what you truly want, and all that is left is a compromise." -Robert Fritz

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    not enough nun fisters in that community

HAHAHAHA!!! Solid advice

Maybe i could sell pictures of my sister to make more money to buy more storage space for shit?

OR if they make ski gear look like its from the 50's i wouldn't want it. Both of those are simple solutions i think.

Quote Originally Posted by Bromontana View Post
    I thought George was a male name.
    It is... Havent you ever heard of Boy George - he is the malest of them all...

And I am opposite of DoWork... Have more shit than I need and love it... I can justify since I am a dentist...

I finally passed the point where I thought that new gear would somehow make me a better skier. Now I just use my age as an excuse.
    Living vicariously through myself.

so you snowboard?
    Zone Controller

"He wants to be a pro, bro, not some schmuck." - Hugh Conway

"DigitalDeath would kick my ass. He has the reach of a polar bear." - Crass3000

oh wait, you're a sheep fucker
    Zone Controller

I just embrace it at this point lol

Quote Originally Posted by Undertow View Post

And I am opposite of DoWork... Have more shit than I need and love it... I can justify since I am a dentist...
    He is my masculine idol! Ha!

Does it bug you carrying it around up the mountain all the time?

Quote Originally Posted by grrrr View Post
    I finally passed the point where I thought that new gear would somehow make me a better skier. Now I just use my age as an excuse.
    Id like to get to that point. Maybe not get older, but beyond, where for some stupid reason i think it will make me ski faster LOL

Quote Originally Posted by digitaldeath View Post
    so you snowboard?
    Yeah man started 2 seasons ago. Still prefer skiing but...

Quote Originally Posted by Undertow View Post

Oh yeah? Well Boy George don't ski.

I'm glad you are a dentist with too much money to spend. Nothing says accomplishment like excessive consumption and pecuniary masturbation.

as long as your gear cost more than your car its all good. besides I don't trust anyone without atleast one bad habit. skied for yrs on one set missing 8" of edge on both sides and 50/50 ducttape/goretex ratio. gear>meth I'd think

Nothing says accomplishment like excessive consumption and pecuniary masturbation.
    All jokes aside for a moment, this is exactly what i am trying to get away from. Our excessive consumption in this consumer society we live in now. Its simply not sustainable, especially for our sport.

What are you looking for? You're so lost. You said you prefer skiing but now your just snowboarding. You have to much gear?

Waaaaa waaaaa

the god damn USA made all this, son.

Why don't you get a gambling problem and pipe down with your boring, down under, politics.
    Zone Controller

Neck warmers. You fucking pussy.
    Zone Controller

If I buy a new pair of skis, an old pair has to go. I like my old skis. So it prevents me from buying skis just to try them or because they are a good deal.

What are you looking for?
    Opinions. Welcome to the internet.

You're so lost. You said you prefer skiing but now your just snowboarding.
    I prefer skiing, but my wife snowboards. When i go with her i board, when i go by myself or with friends who shred, i ski. I ski and board about the same amount each season, but i have been skiing all my life so naturally i am a lot better at it = more fun.

Neck warmers, yep. Better than copping a pear necklace from your dad

Quote Originally Posted by greatjones View Post
    If I buy a new pair of skis, an old pair has to go. I like my old skis. So it prevents me from buying skis just to try them or because they are a good deal.
    Thats a good system, but does it work for things much cheaper than skis?

Quote Originally Posted by Full Stoke George View Post
    All jokes aside for a moment, this is exactly what i am trying to get away from. Our excessive consumption in this consumer society we live in now. Its simply not sustainable, especially for our sport.
    Something that's a lot cooler than having unlimited gear you don't fully utilize.. an open schedule that allows you to wear down the gear you do have. Save money retire early if you're doing that flush imo.

Something that's a lot cooler than having unlimited gear you don't fully utilize.. an open schedule that allows you to wear down the gear you do have. Save money retire early if you're doing that flush imo.
    So true... Plus i figure i 'could' buy a new jacket OR i could save a little bit more and actually go on a skiing trip somewhere around the world. Buy experiences and not cool 'things.' Haha i know whats more important to me... Its just so hard when your sitting at home in your office chair. Right now i look to my right (screen) and there are some new Smith goggle's. Damn it!! lol

Quote Originally Posted by cmcrawfo View Post
    So this post is for real? you actually own multiple balaclavas and neck warmers???
    HAHA no!! But i have a big list of 'shit i want.'
    I dont want to have a list. For anything, lol

I do have 4 pairs of goggles though... May have overdone it a bit there...

Shit, if you can afford it and you use it then nothing wrong with having lots of gear. If you buy gear that just sits in your closet or garage then you're a punter (or a hoarder).

I never got into neck warmers but I did invest in a headband last season and it's been working out pretty well for me on the skin track.